Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:25 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

Looks like HD has done it again. Introduced a major new product without getting all the bugs worked out of it. I have noticed that when I throttle up from 0 throttle there is a flat spot. When throttling up from any other spot there is not a problem. The salesman at the dealer where I got my RG says his SG does the same thing. I was thinking there is an adjustment on it, he says no. Of course the service manager says he has never seen the problem. This is very annoying when shifting at letting the throttle go back to zero. When you go to throttle back on for an instant you have nothing. Makes shifting a little jerky. I have tried to roll back to something less than zero but it is hard to do. I will keep you posted on my progress with this problem. By the way, before I start getting the usual responses like quit whining and ride, this is not an annoying noise problem, this is a performance problem. T.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:42 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,670 Likes on 583 Posts
Default RE: Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

I've got 3,000+ miles onmy 08 Street Glide and haven't had any problems with the throttle. Yet?

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:43 AM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I havent seen that either on mine.................

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:44 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain

I am glad to hear that. That means it can be fixed. I hope. T.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:45 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't seen that kind of problem on my 08 Ultra. I can't feel much of any difference from a cable throttle. The only little thing I do notice is that when I set the cruise control the throttle rolls back to zero even though I might be cruising at 70. If I want to speed up just a little to pass a car I have to roll the throttle all the way back up to and then beyond my cruising speed. Since I've never had cruise on a bike before I don't know if older models with cables have to do the same thing?

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:50 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser

My dealer connection () knows that this is a common problem with the '08's. There is apparently no known cure, and no explanation as to why it is present on some bikes and not on others.They'll work it out, but it will take time. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:56 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

Looks like HD has done it again. Introduced a major new product without getting all the bugs worked out of it. I have noticed that when I throttle up from 0 throttle there is a flat spot. When throttling up from any other spot there is not a problem. The salesman at the dealer where I got my RG says his SG does the same thing. I was thinking there is an adjustment on it, he says no. Of course the service manager says he has never seen the problem. This is very annoying when shifting at letting the throttle go back to zero. When you go to throttle back on for an instant you have nothing. Makes shifting a little jerky. I have tried to roll back to something less than zero but it is hard to do. I will keep you posted on my progress with this problem. By the way, before I start getting the usual responses like quit whining and ride, this is not an annoying noise problem, this is a performance problem. T.
The TBW will not open quickly by design especially under 2750r's where it will not open beyond 80%. It's not a dead spot, just the throttle plates catching up. It took me awhile to get use to the throttle shutdown thing, get a few hundred miles on that baby and you'll have adapted to it. From your discription, it IS functioning exactly as it is designed. I still don't get why the throttle plates won't open quicklybut seem to snap closed but your wrist will adapt, mine did. Lot of speculation about why the MoCo set it up this way but it is what it is. A lot to love about these 08's but the TBW is the one thing I can't stand and could have lived without...
I was iffy about my 08 RG early on having come off an 01 that I had six years and had exactly the way I wanted it but the more I ride it, the more I love it! It is WAAAYYY better than my 01 was when it was new/stock...

Old 11-07-2007 | 07:03 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,670 Likes on 583 Posts

Damn Harlyfan, that makes it sound like me and you haven't ridden aggressivly enough to notice. I'll try harder!

Old 11-07-2007 | 07:07 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would definatley give the dealer a try at fixing it. My 08 has no noticable hesitation at all. If I didn't know better I would not know it was TBW.
I don't think the dealer can tell you its normal when other bikes don't do it.
My .02,
Doug

Old 11-07-2007 | 07:22 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Haven't seen that kind of problem on my 08 Ultra. I can't feel much of any difference from a cable throttle. The only little thing I do notice is that when I set the cruise control the throttle rolls back to zero even though I might be cruising at 70. If I want to speed up just a little to pass a car I have to roll the throttle all the way back up to and then beyond my cruising speed. Since I've never had cruise on a bike before I don't know if older models with cables have to do the same thing?
Now that would bother me! I assume that if you touch a brake you drop imediately to idle & have to roll the throttle back to maintain speed, correct? I like being able to take control back from the cruise without changing speed. Having to accelerate first, or catch up after would create some problems in heavier traffic. 'Course after my BMW (seriously difficult throttle) I tend to forget to use the cruise on my RG 'cause the throttle is so smooth & easy.

Quick Reply: Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle