Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007 | 10:57 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts
Default RE: Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

I test drove a 08 FLHTC and I had some doubts about it. After my test drive, my doubts were gone. A different feel maybe, but no hesitation whatsoever.

Old 11-08-2007 | 05:24 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After riding again last night I payed closer attention to this problem. When I did not ride as hard and let the clutch out slower I didn't notice the problem. So I venture to say that the "problem" is in all the bikes but some rider's style makes it more pronounced. Then again maybe not. It very well may be an EPA thing. Designed into the bike to make us less aggressive riders with the end result being less fuel consumption. T.

Old 11-08-2007 | 08:04 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KindredSpirit

No throttle hesitation on the [08] FLHT and much easier to add cruise later.
It's probably already programmed into the ECU but disabled Are the switches in place on the handlebars already?

Old 11-08-2007 | 10:42 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

I really do not notice any difference between TBW and my old cables??

Old 11-08-2007 | 11:42 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't notice any appreciable difference and have had no problems with it. I have a twin screw diesel engine fishing boat and this debate over the "lag" or "flat spot"reminds of a few years ago when electronic controls came out for diesel engine boats.

Old 11-08-2007 | 02:00 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Duracell

Damn Harlyfan, that makes it sound like me and you haven't ridden aggressivly enough to notice. I'll try harder!
Duracell!![sm=icon_rofl.gif]That is a geat name with that battery colored bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2007 | 11:59 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Doug45601

The delay encountered from idle is there on all the FBW bikes. Very minute and really depends on the rider habits (way of throttle usage) Most riders "goose up just a little" before releasing the clutch so the delay actually catches up to the clutch action and therefor it not noticed or felt but, if you use the gas and clutch as you would in a car you will probably feel the delay. Hence no goosing of the gas from idle just throttle the same time releasing the clutch. I have tested this on a couple of bikes making sure not to goose the throttleand have actually stalled the bikes because of the delay. If I ride normally, I don't even notice the delay. In fact you can easly overcome the delay with just a little practice.
I agree,the delay isthere on all of them, those who say not are just bypassing it with the way they ride and handle the throttle without even realizing it. After a couple of thousand miles I doubt those considering it a problem will even notice it. It's a hand brain thing, your brain, without realizing it. will make your hand operate the throttlein a way that will render that "delay/hesitation" unnoticable. Ionly have 800 miles on my RG and althoughthe TBW did take some getting use to for the first couple hundred miles, I don't even notice it anymore. Can I makethe delay happen? Sure. Does it happen? Nope! Like I said before, there is so much good about these bikes, I can overlook the TBW. The other thing is, there WILL be something from the aftermarket to make the TBW much more responsive in that 0-2750rpm range. Just give it some time...

Old 11-09-2007 | 12:11 PM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RD GLD

Have not had an issue with that what's so ever. Much better than my cabled "98" RG. Smooth as silk and shifting is great.

I would have to agree. I much prefer the feel of the 08 throttle to the 07 cable. The loaner I just had was a 07 Ultra and I was happy to get my bike back.

Now I'm just counting the days until the PCIII is out. Put the new SE air cleaner on yesterday and pipes will go on when the PC is done. I MIGHT even get to ride it before it goes in storage [sm=biker.gif]

Old 11-09-2007 | 12:13 PM
Opossum
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed some of that hesitatin also, thought it was maybe the difference between the 03 w/carb and the 08 W/FI. and yes you can shut the cruise off by bumpin the throttle backwards. The 08 ROCKS!

Old 11-09-2007 | 12:22 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I know ultrasweet is referring to I actually killed the bike at a few stop lights until I got used to it. Now its ok.

Quick Reply: Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle