Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007 | 11:49 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle

bring it back

Old 11-07-2007 | 01:22 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nothing bad to report, whatsoever. Nothing like this, for sure.

Old 11-07-2007 | 03:06 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

So far so good here also !

Old 11-07-2007 | 03:19 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

My buddy and I did the Demo rides in Daytona, both our demo bikes (08 RK and 08 SG) exhibited the same thing. Man I did like the brembo's tho.

Old 11-07-2007 | 03:41 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

A friend of mine owns a high end boat shop.. he went to a recent school for these boats and they now ALSO have FBW throttles. he was told it has to do with..... yep, them good ole' boys.. the EPA. Seems the EPA doesn't like it when you can go WFO and dump a lot of gas into the jugs to aggressively accelerate.

So I have no idea if this is also perhaps a EPA thingy.. but, stranger things have happened.

Old 11-07-2007 | 04:51 PM
cderider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jinks....Yeah, if I touch the brakes cruise disengages as you would expect, but having to roll the right grip what feels like a half turn to get some acceleration above my cruise speed does take a little getting used to. It really surprised me the first time I used the cruise because I felt like I kept turning and turning and nothing was happening, but once I hit the throttle position where I would normally be holding it to ride at that speed under manual control, then it started responding. Actually it didn't take much to get used to, but really felt wierd the first few times. When I release the throttle the bike returns to my cruise control setting.

Wow, you just described my only complaint with my RG. I never rode a bike with CC before so I had no idea what to expect.I have NO slack in throttle at all, it feels as good or better than my cablebikes and I would talk to my dealer again.

Old 11-07-2007 | 05:50 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

On a cabled bike, turning the throttle counterclockwise while cruise is engaged disengages cruise. If you have to turn the throttle clockwise on an '08 to catch up and accelerate from cruise, does that indicate turning the throttle counterclockwiseafter settingcruise on an '08 doesn't disengage the cruise control? That was a long sentence.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:30 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

peddler....I think maybe you have the directions reversed, counter-clockwise is your normal accelleration direction, clockwise is backing off the throttle. I don't think you can turn it clockwise when cruise is on as the throttle grip is all the way back at the normal zero throttle position, or all the way shut down. I assume you have to increase the throttle position past your cruising speed to get more speed beyond that where the cruise control was set. The only way to shut off cruise is to hit the brakes, or I assume, just shut off the switch. On my Dyna I had the old twisting-screw style throttle lock, to get more speed you just twisted the throttle a little more....on the Ultra you have to twist a lot more just to increase speed a few mph. Just kind of a funny feeling, but it didn't take long to get used to.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:41 PM
morespeed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear cylinder not firing is an option you can have turned on or off.It makes the rear cylinder an air pump to cool the motor.I have rode dozens off 08's and never noticed a lag in the throttle.

Old 11-07-2007 | 06:58 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The delay encountered from idle is there on all the FBW bikes. Very minute and really depends on the rider habits (way of throttle usage) Most riders "goose up just a little" before releasing the clutch so the delay actually catches up to the clutch action and therefor it not noticed or felt but, if you use the gas and clutch as you would in a car you will probably feel the delay. Hence no goosing of the gas from idle just throttle the same time releasing the clutch. I have tested this on a couple of bikes making sure not to goose the throttleand have actually stalled the bikes because of the delay. If I ride normally, I don't even notice the delay. In fact you can easly overcome the delay with just a little practice.

I'm not an expert in this field but as I've owned various vehicles with electronic throttles and controls I have become aware of the delays due to "pots and receivers and such" No actual mechanical movement of parts for that real "do it now" action. Many of todays cars also have the wired throttle.. a spring is also installed to give you resistance in the peddle making you feel like you have a cable.

Quick Reply: Hesitation on 08' FBW throttle