Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007 | 07:15 PM
woodeyewetzel
|
Tourer
Default Brakes

Has anyone ever added a second set of brakes to a Deuse. One just doesnt have the stopping power I am looking for.

Old 11-06-2007 | 07:18 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Default RE: Brakes

have you tried upgrading your pads? lyndalls make a difference.

Old 11-06-2007 | 07:22 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

upgrade your caliper, I can help you with a six piston, makes all the difference in the world.

Old 11-08-2007 | 06:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member

ORIGINAL: shooter64

upgrade your caliper, I can help you with a six piston, makes all the difference in the world.
True! I have two of them on my Glide, plus 13 inch discs....

Old 11-08-2007 | 08:42 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Origional Question;
I have personally done the following on friends and my own bikes. You can switch lowers as your fork tubes will accept a verity of different legs with the caliper mount. An upgrade to larger rotors are also an great option. Yes, the leverage of larger rotors is a good way to go. You also need adapters to move out (larger diameter) the calipers due to the larger disk. They are available in some specialty brake stores(around $60).

* HHi Hawg Halters
You can also look at HHi Hawg Halters which makes a caliper that is a direct bolt-on to a 13” disk with stock HD lower legs. I do not know if HHi sells them direct so you may wish to go through a vendor for the same price and sometimes better personal service. I have heard nothing but good things about the performance of these also. You can get Lyndall pads for these calipers. Paul from Lyndall introduced me to him last year at Daytona in the Iron Horse.

*Performance Machine
I have a set of PM differential bore 6-pistons on my hardtail with a 21” front. I also fabricated a rear brake bracket for an additional PM differential bore 6-Pistons in place of a more traditional rear caliper. Again, when is too little brake a good option? My personal view of braking is well known and I stand by my convictions. There are many here who wish only to have one caliper/rotor on their bike due to the visual impact. That you have to determine for yourself.

*Brembo
Another relitively inexpensive option is buying the 300mm rotors and (stock) Brembo calipers off of a stock 2008 FL (no adapters needed, direct bolt-up-I know for sure), chroming them, polish out your stock 08 rotors & always use Lyndall Racing Brake Pads to keep your rotors that way like near new except for the tiny dirt scratches. (here is how)

*LINK: http://www.kenandjudy.us/Harley%20Pi...before_jpg.htm

Rotors:
I do not know of anyone yet that sells aftermarket 300mm polished rotors cheaply yet ($45.00 each range like the 11 1/2'”). We make the 300mm but they are for competition and not cost effective for your application.

Cost

In all, you could spend $35 (each) for the Brembo’s on e-Bay. I have calipers show chromed for $120 (each) so your price in your area chromer should be comparable. Rotors 08 HD 300mm $? Lower legs: you can check e-bay & chrome/powder-coat yourself or buy aftermarket with generally but not always poor chrome for the near price (usually cheaper for aftermarket).

Wheels
*In all conversion to 2 rotors from your stock one rotor wheel, you must change wheels. Both offsets are wrong. I have numerous drawings for a case study I did a few years back in an attempt to find a viable alternative to converting single disk wheels to 2 disks. It can not be done without changing out hubs cost effectively. I abandoned the project and just make Carbon Fiber wheels that fit the application.
Free Help
You can call me for any help on this project but I do not sell anything you need. You would, after your research and list of parts are completed, have to find your own vendor. I just manufacture my own products but love motorcycling and the modification of HD for performance.

Other Related Information

*There is a HDF member who is powder-coating his lowers. He has a 08 FL. The fork sliders are different than those on the Softail but the proceedure is the s