Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Brakes are kick a$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Brakes are kick a$$

My ABS brakes are bad a$$. I ride to work everyday and the drive at my work is a 3/8" gravel. I decided to hit the rear brake hard. No lock up and no skid. Try that on a non ABS bike and see what happens. Make sure you do it on an old bike you don't care about. T.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ABS Brakes are kick a$$

Just had the rear slide around me in an near accident and I was only doing about 30 mph. Can't wait to get ABS. SG on order.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the ABS, too. I showed my wife how they worked on the highway the other day and she was amazed. I also told her I still had a little pedal left if I wanted it.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I've made some hard braking stops that would have skidded on my old bike that was without ABS. The Brembos are also very sweet. Paying attention will help reduce the times I need it though.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help but wonder that if ABS is a save your life "Safety Item" why in the world would Harley make it an "option" rather then standard?! Must be reason why! Can't buy a car in today's market without seat belts.... Of course ABS on a car with 4 wheels on the surface makes it more of an option but Geeez if ABS is so great it should be a standard!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doug45601

Can't help but wonder that if ABS is a save your life "Safety Item" why in the world would Harley make it an "option" rather then standard?! Must be reason why! Can't buy a car in today's market without seat belts.... Of course ABS on a car with 4 wheels on the surface makes it more of an option but Geeez if ABS is so great it should be a standard!
It was an option of cars early on also. As with cars, it will be standard on all bikes in the future is my prediction.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 PM
DRCLB
Advanced

I wouldn't have purchased my 08 Ultra without them. They are AWESOME. The front brakes activated when I pulled into a parking spot at a very slow speed with some leaves and all I felt was a slight vibration on my right hand petal.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have had a BMW with ABS for several years now, done over 50k miles on it. The system tests OK according to the dealer, but I gave up trying to see how it works a long time ago. It is an expensive 'passenger' that occasionally adds to the service bill! I wouldn't bother again, given the choice.

I have had several cars with it fitted and the number of occasionsthe ABS haskickedin I can count on the fingers of one hand.

I hope the Harley version proves more worthwhile, but I won't be rushing out to buy one.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: grbrown

I have had a BMW with ABS for several years now, done over 50k miles on it. The system tests OK according to the dealer, but I gave up trying to see how it works a long time ago. It is an expensive 'passenger' that occasionally adds to the service bill! I wouldn't bother again, given the choice.

I have had several cars with it fitted and the number of occasions the ABS has kicked in I can count on the fingers of one hand.

I hope the Harley version proves more worthwhile, but I won't be rushing out to buy one.
Not sure if I understand your point. Not having the ABS kick in means that you're doing a great job of driving/riding. Like a seat belt or health insurance , ABS will only make itself felt if it's a real emergency.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Ultra_Bob
Tourer

Thought about ABS yesterday during a cold wet ride...
Do I have to explain further? lol

Quick Reply: ABS Brakes are kick a$$