Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM Chest replaced, now bad gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CAM Chest replaced, now bad gas mileage?

I had the entire cam chest area replaced under warranty two weeks ago with stock components...before the replacement I used to get 39 to 41 MPG...I just filled up this afternoon and got 28.8 MPG? Highway miles have been averaging around 34 before today.

The bike actually runs stronger now since the cam change? Is it possible they put the wrong cams in? Maybe the timing is off?

Is there a sensor that could have been damaged during the cam replacement that would affect mileage?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: CAM Chest replaced, now bad mileage?

Things may be just a wee' bit tight and the milage is not all that off. I'd keep an eye on the amount of oil in the cases and check the plugs to see what they are looking like. Check your milage on the next couple of fill ups and be consistant with the amount of gas and the calculations.

Also buy the gas from the same station if possiable. Keep in mind the winter months gas formulas change across the country and you will get worse milage.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:50 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what exactly happened to your bike as to need cam chest replaced?
the reason i ask is because i have an 05 rkc doesn't seem to have any problems in that area yet
just wondering how the warrenty would work if i ended up with the cam chains problem or start using
oil as some of the 05 bikes are prone to do.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:52 PM
asuperheat
Road Master

28 mpg is pretty bad I cant even get that when I hot rod all day, if you did the math right something may be off, you said it runs stronger now? Carb or efi?A bad tune could give you more power and bad milage just a guess.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Who did that for you? The genius' at Adamac's.............8^)

Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM
fryeca
Tourer

I had a non rythmic metal popping noise coming from the primary side, at first they thought it was the compensator sprocket but later ended up being the cam bearings...it ate up the cam plate as well.

The tensioner shoes were almost in perfect shape after 30K miles.

I asked them to install SE203 cams but they said I should stay stock for now and not have warranty issues later on? Maybe they F'ed up and put the 203's in?

The bike is EFI with a power commander and a map from the fuel motto guys (Jamie).

I've cleaned my K&N filter and put new spark plugs in and have run five tanks of gas through from only two different stations...I always fill up till the gas reaches the neck of the filler, takes a bit more effort but gives me more acurate MPG's.

Yes the genius' at Adamecs worked my ride...[:'(]

Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: pled55
just wondering how the warrenty would work if i ended up with the cam chains problem or start using
I spoke to a service writer today about the cam chain tensioners.If they do an inspection and find they are worn out,you will have to pay for the repair.
If there is damage already done because of the tensioners breaking,then the repair would be covered under warranty.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

ORIGINAL: pled55
I spoke to a service writer today about the cam chain tensioners.If they do an inspection and find they are worn out,you will have to pay for the repair.
If there is damage already done because of the tensioners breaking,then the repair would be covered under warranty.
This guy's repair was paid by HD[sm=hail.gif]
www.stampedemrc.com/spark/tensioner.htm

Greetz Peter

Old 11-04-2007, 10:48 AM
pled55
Road Master

thanks for the response .hope i don't need anything like that. but i have about 16000 on the ol clock. so iguess i better do some exploritiry surgury before long

Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: fryeca

I had a non rythmic metal popping noise coming from the primary side, at first they thought it was the compensator sprocket but later ended up being the cam bearings...it ate up the cam plate as well.

The tensioner shoes were almost in perfect shape after 30K miles.

I asked them to install SE203 cams but they said I should stay stock for now and not have warranty issues later on? Maybe they F'ed up and put the 203's in?

The bike is EFI with a power commander and a map from the fuel motto guys (Jamie).

I've cleaned my K&N filter and put new spark plugs in and have run five tanks of gas through from only two different stations...I always fill up till the gas reaches the neck of the filler, takes a bit more effort but gives me more acurate MPG's.

Yes the genius' at Adamecs worked my ride...[:'(]
Sorry if my comment sounded smart-assed, but I spent years stayin' away from Adamec's. I like Mark well enough, but their business practices anoyed me anytime I was near 'em.

From the little info you can send on the web, I'd guess that unless you have a major change in performance that can be cam related there's another problem. How did the old plugs look when you took 'em out, & have you checked the PC-III current map with the one Jamie sent you? Since you have a clean filter & new plugs, I'd look at fuel flow next & that's controled by the PC-III map.

Quick Reply: CAM Chest replaced, now bad gas mileage?