Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM Chest replaced, now bad gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAM Chest replaced, now bad mileage?

just installing the 203s cam would not cause that kind of loss, something isn't right, even being new parts should not drop your milage that low..would suggest that you return to dealer with the problem.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jinks / Bear,

I haven't changed my MAP for over a year butI'll disconnect the PCIII and see where my fuel flow goes.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: fryeca

Thanks Jinks / Bear,

I haven't changed my MAP for over a year butI'll disconnect the PCIII and see where my fuel flow goes.

I wasn't suggesting disconnecting the PC, just comparing the map it's using now to the one it came with, or whatever map you were using. You can hook your laptop to it & it'll show it's current map. If you kept a copy of the original (or last) map, then you can compare them incase someone made any changes. Of course disconnecting the PC will give you some information depending on what other mods you have.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 AM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the 203 cams were installed and all you need is a new map from Jamie.
When I installed the 510G, my bike ran stronger , but very rich, with
poor gas milage. Jamie had a good map for a Stage one with only cams.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
fryeca
Tourer

wasn't suggesting disconnecting the PC, just comparing the map it's using now to the one it came with, or whatever map you were using. You can hook your laptop to it & it'll show it's current map. If you kept a copy of the original (or last) map, then you can compare them incase someone made any changes. Of course disconnecting the PC will give you some information depending on what other mods you have.
Jinks,

Thanks for reply...I have all my previous maps on my laptop and have compare them, Jamie was very helpfull about a year and half ago...my bike is kind of bastard child form the get; it's an '06 with factory ECM for the 06A injectors (25 degree), and being an oddball I couldn't use a canned MAP from the PowerCommander folks (they never tested the 25 degree injectors onthe dyno)

The bike has run flawlessly for way over year with that map but now since the cam change the MPG has goneto crap? Bike has a decent lope to it at idle and is very strong in the bottom end? It's almost like they screwed up and put the wrong cams in (203's?). The confusion over the cams happened when I ask them to install 203's and they didn't because they said I may have a warranty issue later on?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike has a lope at idle....with a 203? I would take it back to the stealer and have them check to make sure they have the cams in right. Sounds stupid but that cam can be off one tooth and it will run, lope at idle and get terrible gas mileage. Sounds stupid but those symptoms are what you would get with a cam off one tooth.

Good Luck,
RJ

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM
fryeca
Tourer

The bike has a lope at idle....with a 203? I would take it back to the stealer and have them check to make sure they have the cams in right. Sounds stupid but that cam can be off one tooth and it will run, lope at idle and get terrible gas mileage. Sounds stupid but those symptoms are what you would get with a cam off one tooth.

Good Luck,
RJ
Thanks RJ...but wouildn't I have some power loss being off one tooth? The bike seems to run much stronger on the bottom end now, if the timing was off I would expect to have bad gas mileage and some power problems, maybe some backfire issues?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone from Adamec's screwin' up & installin' the wrong cam (or givin' you the wrong information) doesn't surprise me a bit. In fact the only thing about your problem that surprises me is that if they knew about your PC they didn't cry "warranty VOID" imediately. Have you gone back & asked them to verify what cam they actually installed? I wouldn't believe them unless I saw 'em open it myself, but it might be worth a try.

Over the years a "mechanic" at Adamec's told me that 50 weight oil was "too light" for my Evo & would "**** up my motor", & two parts people absolutely insisted that Evo lifters were $252 each. Four phone calls later they reluctantly admited they were quoting me lifter *blocks*, yet when I went in to pick up the lifters they had the gall to tell me I needed a "trained Harley mechanic" to go that far into the motor. & that's only a couple of the things that make me such a fan of theirs...........................

Old 11-05-2007, 09:11 AM
fryeca
Tourer

Jinks,

I'll check with the wells road falks agian today on what they actually installed.

As for the PCIII? They actually do DYNO's now AND install them! No more warranty voids...whoda thunk!

Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: fryeca

Thanks RJ...but wouildn't I have some power loss being off one tooth? The bike seems to run much stronger on the bottom end now, if the timing was off I would expect to have bad gas mileage and some power problems, maybe some backfire issues?
I was thinking about your comment on being stronger on the bottom end. I assumed you were running a stock cam before the 203 install. It may be possible that you are feeling the increase of the 203 vs. your stocker even if it is off a tooth. Maybe someone will argue that.

My first Harley had a stage II big bore installed when I bought it. It had a few thousand miles on it. I was a crotch rocket rider and when I got on the Harley I didn't know what to expect so I couldn't tell if the bike was right or not. It ran fine but my gas mileage was $hit. When I got it home I took it to the dealer to see about getting the warranty transferred.....my first Harley lesson....if you buy Harley parts that are installed by a Harley mechanic when the bike is new, warranty voided!! The good news is that unlike some horror stories I have read, this shop has a good wrench and he instantly diagnosed the cam problem. He was so confident that he offered to do the work for free if he was wrong........and of course he was right. The cams were installed one tooth off. I did notice a performance increase when it was corrected.

If it was me, I would run it back to the dealer and tell them to verify they installed 203 cams and installed them correctly.
RJ

Quick Reply: CAM Chest replaced, now bad gas mileage?