Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What voids HD extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 PM
SaBiGe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What voids HD extended warranty

Ok first of all let me say "I'm Sorry." I am sure this topic has been covered, but I have looked and can not find it. Here is my question.

I have asked my local dealer and called the national HD help desk and neither one has a straight answer. The only thing the national help desk said is that if I use part that say "for race use only" then the waranty might be effected. These mufflers are for touring models. I have not ridden baggers for long, but who really races baggers? I only want some louder pipes and slight increast in HP. I am taking my bike in for the 1000 mile service and am going to get the following installed. SE performance mufflers (part# 64903-99), HD race tuner (part# 32107-01C), and high flow air cleaner (part# 29773-02B) I will have the bike dynoed, etc... All work will be done by HD.

Will the warranty be voided?

Old 12-19-2005, 01:09 PM
mlbuckner
Novice
Default RE: What voids HD extended warranty

Our east coast Harley Zone rep advised me last week that basically the warranty will only be voided if you do something to the bike that causes a failure that would normally be covered could be voided if the mod was found to be the causation factor to the failure. Hope that makes sense. A lot of times it depends on the dealer as well. Many times they will cover work they do and step in on behalf of the customer for mods they have performed. The work that you are planning should be fine as the parts themselves do not void the warranty and all work is done by your dealer. They should be able to tell you whether they will stand behind the work.

M

Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Moose
Advanced

Ask you dealer!!! Talk to the service manager they should be able to give you a stright answer. If you want to get to the nitty-gritty I believe those parts do void the warranty but I know the dealership I use back up those parts and will still cover the warranty. So it is very much a dealer decision. But I feel those are the three best upgrades you can do..

Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

This should explain it somewhat, but mlbuckner got a pretty good handle on it

https://www.hdforums.com/m_76699/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_85511/tm.htm

A lot of it depends on the dealer and how he will work with you.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM
LeviLad
Cruiser

I did a few things on mine also, SERT, 2.04 cams, 4 degree drive gear, Samson True dual and the dealer that did it told (Service Manager) I that as long as I came back to him, he would warrantee it. I told him no problem due to that Harley dealership was way cheaper on service, parts and hourly. I also called Harley and they told me I could change oil and etc...as long it was quote quote Harley Parts it would not void my warranty. That is why the SERT instead of the Power Commander, figured exhaust is exhaust, then dealer is covering what they installed...

LeviLad,
A bit chilly down south these days, but thermal underwear does keep ya warm....

Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 PM
SaBiGe
Advanced

What happens when you move and have to deal with a different HD dealership?

Old 12-19-2005, 04:57 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Assume the position

Some of the dealers play ball with you and others play hard ball. I guess it depends on how much work they have in the shop and if they are fair to deal with.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:06 PM
dragonbones
Novice

It is my understanding that the Magnusson-Moss Act also covers maintance (eg. oil changes etc.) that you do yourself as long as you keep the receipts and document the work.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dragonbones

It is my understanding that the Magnusson-Moss Act also covers maintance (eg. oil changes etc.) that you do yourself as long as you keep the receipts and document the work.
Yes, you are correct.

It's pretty funny, the car/truck forums are all over MM act. But it seems that it never really made its way to the bike forums.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,772 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Biggest thing I find is poor dealers void the warranty. Most dealers have alot of descretion on what to warranty and what to deny. Most dealers are lacking in customer service skills in their shop. If they treated their customers better they would have more business and the independents would have less.
Most of the dealers I have delt with think they are the "chosen one" and you have to kiss their a$$ to get anything done.
I would love to find a Harley dealer that treated customers like they wanted to be treated, they would have more business than they would know what to do with.
My experience also has shown me that if you did not buy from them you can pretty much forget warranty repairs if you have added ANYTHING that is not O.E.M.
I have not researched the Magnusson-Moss Act; does it apply to motorcycles? Alot of car laws do not apply.
Sorry for the rant, but as being a former service manager and warranty auditor ive seen alot of crap.