Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with the board

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
singlepin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the board

Does anyone else have this problem? Whenever I post a reply and hit the back arrow: it just keeps taking me back to my post. I have to click on the "Harley Davidson Forum" at the top and start over to get back to whatever section I want. "Touring, etc."

Another question-why do I get little yellow dots to the right of the post subjects? I thought it showed which ones had been read; but, some are there and I haven't read it. How do I get rid of them?

Old 11-03-2007, 05:23 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Problem with the board

The yellow dots indicate posts which have been made in the last 24 hours. Kind of pointless, really, since the dates/times of the posts are clearly shown with text.

The thing I hate most about this forum software is that it's solely time-based. If your session times out before you see everything you wanted to, indication of and the capability to go to the first unread post in a thread is blown away. That, and whenever you're forming a reply you must do so lickity-split or what'll happen, even though it will dish you up a preview, when you go to post it you're instead given a "we're sorry, but..." page and it freaking logs you out of the system! You must then go and log back in (again blowing away a good measure of unread post indication if you weren't all caught up already - and in all the forums to boot!) before you can fetch a new copy of the page you used to form your reply, cut and paste the reply into the new page, and submit it from there. Very ***-painful.

You cannot just drop in for a minute and see a couple of threads. Each and every time you visit the site you must pore over every thread index page which contains unread post indication every time or you'll have to manually hunt for them later to get caught up again. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Maybe if the forum had less traffic it would suffice, but as it is, especially with the "touring" forum, it's very time consuming to stay with it.

I cringe every time I hit "OK" to submit a post.

To combat the problem you describe, I open all the threads I want to see in new tabs and just close them out when done with them, returning to the index tab each time to load up fresh ones. This also serves to cause the time-out problem...

Also, I'm on dialup and the forum server is not honoring my requests for compressed pages, so they take an ungodly amount of time to arrive. I'd thought it would be a better experience the other day while at a place with high-speed Internet. Wrong. It was even worse. It was like the server was purposely waiting several minutes before deciding to send each page. Oftentimes I had to hit the "reload" button in my browser several times to get the server to start sending any data at all.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 AM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glens

The yellow dots indicate posts which have been made in the last 24 hours. Kind of pointless, really, since the dates/times of the posts are clearly shown with text.

The thing I hate most about this forum software is that it's solely time-based. If your session times out before you see everything you wanted to, indication of and the capability to go to the first unread post in a thread is blown away. That, and whenever you're forming a reply you must do so lickity-split or what'll happen, even though it will dish you up a preview, when you go to post it you're instead given a "we're sorry, but..." page and it freaking logs you out of the system! You must then go and log back in (again blowing away a good measure of unread post indication if you weren't all caught up already - and in all the forums to boot!) before you can fetch a new copy of the page you used to form your reply, cut and paste the reply into the new page, and submit it from there. Very ***-painful.

You cannot just drop in for a minute and see a couple of threads. Each and every time you visit the site you must pore over every thread index page which contains unread post indication every time or you'll have to manually hunt for them later to get caught up again. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Maybe if the forum had less traffic it would suffice, but as it is, especially with the "touring" forum, it's very time consuming to stay with it.

I cringe every time I hit "OK" to submit a post.

To combat the problem you describe, I open all the threads I want to see in new tabs and just close them out when done with them, returning to the index tab each time to load up fresh ones. This also serves to cause the time-out problem.........

Also, I'm on dialup and the forum server is not honoring my requests for compressed pages, so they take an ungodly amount of time to arrive. I'd thought it would be a better experience the other day while at a place with high-speed Internet. Wrong. It was even worse. It was like the server was purposely waiting several minutes before deciding to send each page. Oftentimes I had to hit the "reload" button in my browser several times to get the server to start sending any data at all.
The dial up may be part of your issue. I can log in and go away forfor quite some time and still be logged in. After i have posted a reply and hit the back button enough times to get back to thethread i just hit the refresh button. It is alittle troublesome though....

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Same thing happened to me, turn off computer and back on and all is fine...

Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

It'll stay logged in indefinitely unless you go to submit a post from a page which has been displayed for several minutes already. If the timeout has expired between the time the page was generated and the post is submitted, however, it logs you out of the forum and wipes out your cookies (which are used in part to keep track of what you've seen and when). Dialup has nothing to do with it except, as previously noted, helping to increase performance/usability.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:12 AM
monkish
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glens

It'll stay logged in indefinitely unless you go to submit a post from a page which has been displayed for several minutes already. If the timeout has expired between the time the page was generated and the post is submitted, however, it logs you out of the forum and wipes out your cookies (which are used in part to keep track of what you've seen and when). Dialup has nothing to do with it except, as previously noted, helping to increase performance/usability.
Is there any way to adjust the time for the timeout...... It has been awhile since I used dial-up and I can't remember.....

Old 11-03-2007, 07:34 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

The timeout is set on the server side. It has nothing to do with dialup. I only mention dialup because each of these pages, depending on how many posts they contain, are absolutely huge in terms of code content. I send the http header in my request for compression of the page. If they had the server set up correctly, they'd not only be saving a bunch of hosting bandwidth but the pages would relatively fly in over a phone line. They'd transmit quicker for everyone, no matter their connection speed, but the effect will be especially dramatic on a dialup.

At any rate, basing this whole thing on timed sessions is ludicrous. There is very much better forum software available.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:22 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: beezil
Does anyone else have this problem? Whenever I post a reply and hit the back arrow: it just keeps taking me back to my post. I have to click on the "Harley Davidson Forum" at the top and start over to get back to whatever section I want. "Touring, etc."
After you post a reply,just click on "jump to ----- forum" at the bottom right.