Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise.. Thundermax or dyno tune with my SERT

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Need advise.. Thundermax or dyno tune with my SERT

After getting a ridiculous trade in offer from the stealer I think I'll be keeping my SG.
Since the weather got a little cooler the motor has much more shake at idle and vibration in the floorboards and seatthan it ever hadin the warmer weather.

I'm currently running a SERT but am using a canned map because I didn't like the original dyno tune. The canned map performed ok through the summer.
I stopped by an independent shop today because I've about had it with the dealers service department and refuse to keep hearing, "that is normal!"
The independent thinks that the vibes are coming from my tune. He has a great track record with tuning so I think I may give him a shot. He is well versed with the SERT and said he will work with that but he mentioned that he really likes the Thundermax with Auto Tune. (closed loop system)
My question is should I shell out the $800+ for the TM or should I keep the SERT and get a new tune.
Those who have experience with TM, is it worth it? I looked up some old posts and there were some positive comments but what concerned me was the comments regarding poor mileage, fiddling with the timing etc. I'm not sure how to interpret those comments.
Please inspire! Thanks,
Frank

Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need advise.. Thundermax or dyno tune with my SERT

I almost did the same thing, bought a Tmax. I took the bike to get it dyno tuned one last time. No more pinging and runs awesome. Remember, once the bike is dialed in, its dialed in. If I do anything in the future, it will be that deal at Headquarters. I am waiting to see how that one works out. I am not sold on the Tmax, seems to still need a close MAP.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I'm thinking along the same lines.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:41 AM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the T/Max on my 2006 FLTHCUI EGC, I installed myself and noticed an improvement in the first 100 Miles the scoot idles smoother, runs smoother and most of all runs way cooler. I have now run up 3000 Miles and the bike is a totally different unit than the $h*t the MoCo sold me.As far as mileage goes I lost about 30 Miles on a tank I think this due to the fact it no longer runs extremely lean as per factory settings. Dont concern yourself about all the timing debate you don't have to adjust timing unless you want that last 1 or 2 HP as well as some of the guys playing with the timing admitted to the fact that they like to fix things until its broke. Also you wrench seems to know about the T/Max and will get the best out of it anyway. Lastly the T/Max can be removed and installed on your next bike where as the sert is a one off and will only work on one scoot only.

Hope this helps
GlennsGlide

PS Why give the MoCo or Stealers any more $ than you have to.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Street: If your guy knows how to tune, and almost as importantly, has a library of tunes on bikes identical to or closely similar to yours, he should be able to give you a good tune within 3-4 hours.

The popularity of Tmax and DTT is more a testamentto the incompetence of dyno tuners in dealerships and indy shops who claim they can tune motorcycles. Many simply are carburetor era guys who are not adroit with EFI and computer controls who don't do enough tuning on bikes so they are on a long learning curve on your $$$ when you show up.

Having SERT tuned my own '04 EG (stock 88 with HQ-0034 cams, Rinehart True Duals and SE a/c) using a Twin Scan II+, I am quite certain I could do another bike with the same configuration much more quickly than I did mine and be close to the 3-4 hour time frame and deliver good performance free of pinging and decel popping. Bascially, that's what Zippers and DTT are doing with their can maps for builds with the customer loading the map and tweaking the settings.

Also, I know half a dozen guys with Tmax or DTT who say how great those systems are, but then, in the next breath, want to know how they can get rid of some minor pinging in some operating conditions, etc. With the SERT, if you have pinging, you can record data that shows precisely where the knock occurs and address it precisely; can't do that with either Tmax or DTT.

I am not knocking (no pun intended) either DTT or Tmax. They work well for a lot of people; but a good SERT tune from an experiencedtuner with a library of similar tunes to your bike is a better value IMO.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:17 AM
sleepyjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TMax baby!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:20 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I am glad I went with the TMax setup and it runs better since I have installed the HQ500 cams. I do think it could use some tuning.

Anybody know who can dyno tune these units for the best hp and tq? I would be willing to travel to get r done right, I am located in Texas. Zippers could not provide us with anybody in our area. Surely there has to be someone in the surronding states....

Old 11-03-2007, 08:38 AM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a pro tuner from head quarters does the same thing with a few added features and will cost you less $$$ since you already have a sert. That is what im doing on my new build, it is worth looking into. And no dyno nessasary with this set up.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've had SERT & PCIII on past bikes & was satisfied. With that said, I'm sold on DTT. Autotuning is the future.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 AM
asuperheat
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pro tuner auto tunes as well also allowes you to preciselyadjust timing because of data loging of preciserecording of knocking@ exact rpm's and will save about $350.
ORIGINAL: DonnyI

I've had SERT & PCIII on past bikes & was satisfied. With that said, I'm sold on DTT. Autotuning is the future.

Quick Reply: Need advise.. Thundermax or dyno tune with my SERT