Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! PCIII TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Peyts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! PCIII TROUBLE

Of note... just tried to call Jamie... got machine that said normal store hours are Mon-Fri, 9-5 (central time).

Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Peyts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool... let me know. But in the meantime, do I actually have to do some kind of backup on the map first, before the 0 throttle setting?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jskwarek

I have had my PC III installed for over a year now and have never had this issue nor did any of this. Do you always have to do this. I had my PCIII mapped by Fuel Moto before I got it so all I did was install it and have never had a reason to plug into in and have been to lazy to mess with it with everything else going on with my bike.

Should I get in and poke around or leave well enough alone.

Jeff
Hard to tell in your case, Jeff. You could always get lucky and have a PCIII that happens to fit your bike without any adjustment, but odds are that wouldn't be the case. According to Dynojet, you need to set the 0% and 100% throttle positions everytime you install the PCIII. All Jamie does is load the the map for your bike, but he would need to connect it to your bike to set the throttle positions. So, that's something you would have to do when you install the PCIII. If you don't want to bother with it, call Jamie and see what he thinks you should do. He's the expert and can give you the best advice whether you should check it or not.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL! Me too! I wanted to order one for my newSporty thatI gutted the baffles out of.....It's loud, but lacking.....I guess we have to wait till Monday, huh?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Got to set the 0% and full throttle settings. Not hard, but you do need a computer near the bike.

If you go to the Fuel Moto site and click on the Dynojet Technical Info bar on the left hand side of the page and then scroll down, you come to some neat little anumated tutorials that lead you through it. It's easy.

Start there. May solve all your problems. PCIII doesn't know where the throttle is as it stands now.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dgretz

Forgot to mention I did set the throttle 0 and 100% re-setting after installing. So it is not the reason for the cough/sputter.
Check the Dynojet website for PCIII's. They have an accelerator pump featureyou can download that might help in your situation. Easy install with your laptop, and it's free.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

For anyone trying to contact Jamie by e-mail, good luck with that. I've never been able to get a response. But, on the bright side, he's usually available when you call him and/or will get back to you, and he's very helpful over the phone. Calling himis the way to go.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:16 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

ORIGINAL: jskwarek

I have had my PC III installed for over a year now and have never had this issue nor did any of this. Do you always have to do this. I had my PCIII mapped by Fuel Moto before I got it so all I did was install it and have never had a reason to plug into in and have been to lazy to mess with it with everything else going on with my bike.

Should I get in and poke around or leave well enough alone.

Jeff
Hard to tell in your case, Jeff. You could always get lucky and have a PCIII that happens to fit your bike without any adjustment, but odds are that wouldn't be the case. According to Dynojet, you need to set the 0% and 100% throttle positions everytime you install the PCIII. All Jamie does is load the the map for your bike, but he would need to connect it to your bike to set the throttle positions. So, that's something you would have to do when you install the PCIII. If you don't want to bother with it, call Jamie and see what he thinks you should do. He's the expert and can give you the best advice whether you should check it or not.
You got me wondering now....I live at 2,500feet elvation (the high Mojave desert). I got my PCIII from Jamie a year ago...put it in...never zero'd or 100% anything...and my bike runs great. I do get kinda shity gas milage though. I'm gonna try the zero thing & see what gives. Also, I put on on my brothers fatboy without doing any of that & his bike runs great too.
-clutch-

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/B85BAC9CF3A14AE7A510348F375BABA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

When in doubt, check it. It's easy and will put your mind to ease. It won't hurt anything, and more than likely will finish matching the PCIII to your bike.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Peyts,

You do not need to back up the map to set the throttle position reference points. However, you'd do well to back up the map just in case. But Jamie will email one to you if you ever really need to get another copy and can wait a day or so for it.

I wouldn't bother with the accelerator pump utility. It really only helps on high-revving multi-cylinder bikes from what I understand.

Let me tell you, when after experimenting with hooking the O2 sensors back up along with the PC-III, I had the same problem with sluggish re-acceleration as you described. Take the revs up, roll off the throttle, and whack it back open again and it would stumble and cough momentarily.

If you'd rode around with the stock mufflers and airbox and O2 sensors hooked up for a half hour, at least some of that time at nice steady part-throttle speeds, then your AFV is reset as well as it can be for your location. So long as you never again ran the engine with the O2 sensors hooked up with anything else changed, that is...

So are you saying you've got this stumble problem even after resetting the AFVs?

Taterdog, you don't have Adaptive Fuel Values to reset. They only came out with that system in '07 for the big twins. Adaptive Fueling is a means of autotuning the engine. Apart from having a mass airflow sensor it's the cat's meow.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! PCIII TROUBLE