Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! PCIII TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! PCIII TROUBLE

This entire thread has solidified my decision to put on a SERT for my '08 Ultra.

I've spoken with several indy and hd techs... all seem to think the SERT is a better way to go.

I'm going to wait for my dealer to run 20% off sale in December and get it done then. Labor to install is only $112 bucks.

I'm not trying to denegrate those that have installed other fuel managers... it just seems to me, based on what I've read on this forum, that a SERT seems to be a better option.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Peyts
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldhippie

ORIGINAL: Peyts

I never did get any response to my emails from Jamie.

He did call me this morning. Let me first say (in response to, andpersuant to the advice of, Glens) that I was calm and polite on the phone... I even thanked him for calling me right away. (Not bad for a hot head!) He told me that the PCIII for the 02-06 HD Touring is the exact same as the PCIII for the 07 HD Touring... with the exception of the O2 sensor eliminators. (He said that the 02-06 HD Touring sticker on the box didn't mean anything... that they order them inlarge bunches andthat they are allthesame anyway... which speaks to "Jinks" and his theory that I installed the wrong part... evidentially the sticker didn't mean a thing!)He couldn't believe that he didn't include them in the package that he sent me. He also stated that he double-checked the map that he installed, and that he did install the correct set of maps. Finally, he said that he was aware that there was nothing in the instructions about the 0 throttle... suggested that I do that, but that there was no need to do the 100 throttle adjustment.

Said he would send out the O2 sensor eliminators via first class mail... will likely take about a week to get here.

I am glad that he called. I am glad that he is fixing it.

That being said, I am disappointed that he didn't so much as apologize for the mix up... not a "sorry, man" or "we'll get this right" or "this really never happens" or "I understand why you were frustrated" or anything remotely similar. Nothing. I also figured that he would be a bit more diligent sending the O2 eliminators out... not that they would be here in about a week.

I will not pass final judgment regarding Fuelmoto until the deal is done and through... but to date I believe that they could have, and should have, done better. Like I said, even an apology would have made all the difference in the world.

Thanks for checking back in on me.
Seems like overnighting them wouldn't have been too much of a stretch. Hope they get there quickly.

Let us know if you are able to get out and ride, how it runs. Espcially can you bring it up high in the rev range and then back off quickly and come all the way down without backfiring and popping.

Do you have a PC that you can place near enough to the bike to work on the map.. you may want to tweak low throttle low rpm cells to be richer and hence cooler running. I didn't see that in the map I got from FM so I did it myself, increasing in 5% increments until the bike cooled down. It isn't hard and I am happy to lead you through it when you get there, just pop me a PM and we can exchange cell phone numbers.. and get her done.

I've never been out to Calgary, but hope to get there one of these days. I hear it's beautiful big country.
Cheers, bro! I will take you up on that offer! I'll send you a PM when the O2 eliminators arrive, and then we can shoot the sh*t a bit on the phone and get this all done.

Thanks again for your help... it is truly appreciated.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

The techs I've talked to seem to like the SERT more these days. They say that it has a greater number of adjustments that can be made. I had a PCIII on my old Road King and it had a little throttle delay, but I put it down to not being warmed up enough. Most of the time it worked just fine. My new '08 Ultra just got a stage 1 upgrade using the SERT and it runs smooth under all conditions. I think the key was having each one dyno-tuned. This tunes for all the changes made. The older bike with the PCIII benefited more from the dyno than the new bike. I could really tell the difference. The new one; not so much. Always ran fine, but its new to me. The altitude should not make any difference with a fuel injected bike, as it should adjust itself to air pressure changes (unless something has run amok with the extra adjustments). Good luck and don't give up. Nothing's broken, it's just a tuning issue and will eventually get worked out and everything will be fine.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dgretz

I downloaded the 2.2.2 firmware today to the PCIII (mine came with 2.1.2) from Fuelmoto which I picked up on 10/4. Don't know when 2.2.2. came out, but if before 10/4 would think Fuelmoto would have updated the firmware to most current version. Anyway with just a high sped run to work and back today the spitting/sputter at throttle pop appears to be corrected. Will need a little more time to see.

Does anyone know how firware update would correct this sputter/spit/hestitation at throttle pop that some of us have/are experiencing?
Mine is 2.1.2 as well, and I maybe have noticed the slightest stumble.. which I thought might even be my lackof applying throttle at take-off, as I engage the clutch in first gear... I dunno, maybe this firmware update will fix.

I've heard enough about it, that I think I'll wait till the season is over and snow is on the ground to do the deed. Just in case.

Did you do it using the little 9V batter method, or just using the bike's power?
Only used the 9volt. If you use the 9v and switch the power on to upgrade the firmware you will fry the PCIII, at least according to others on the forum. I still haven't ridden it. Jaime told me to make the 5% richer. He thinks the hesitation at 70+ when going back on the throttle from completely letting it off is from a lean condition in the 5% range. I don't really think that is the problem seeing as how the map I was using was richer than the map he sent me in that area. I will be riding on Wednesday and see how it does with the firmware upgrade.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: swipter

I get an occasional spit at throttle blip no hesitation at start up, however, I may rev a little higher than some do. At highway speeds if I let the throttle go and give it gas there is a momentary hesitation. Does the firmware upgrade fix this issue too? I did the zero throttle and ran the pciii with stock pipes and AC for a month so I would think the AF stuff glens talks about should be fine. I may do the zero throttle again.
I had a minor and sporadic hestiation off-idle, and the FW upgrade fixed it completely. I would upgrade to the new FW if you are having problems with any type of hestiation or detonation.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine is 2.1.2 as well, and I maybe have noticed the slightest stumble.. which I thought might even be my lackof applying throttle at take-off, as I engage the clutch in first gear... I dunno, maybe this firmware update will fix.

I've heard enough about it, that I think I'll wait till the season is over and snow is on the ground to do the deed. Just in case.

Did you do it using the little 9V batter method, or just using the bike's power?
Do not upgrade the FW when the bike is running or ignition is on. Sorry to shout, but if you do this you may disable your PCIII. Ask me how I know. When I did it, it took me 15 min. of repeated tries to upgrade the FW before the bike would even run. I feared I had FUBAR'd my PCIII, but after about 10 tries it finally took the FW upgrade and has worked fine since. Whew!

Attach the 9V adapter with a fresh battery and then do the upgrade. You'll need a fairly current version of the PC software to do it, so check with the PC site for that info. I have 3.2.1 and it works fine.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Scootr
Road Master

So far so good on my PCIII install. I installed the PCIII w/ 02 sensor eliminators and AN Big Sucker today. Only got a short ride in tonight since it is getting cold and dark so I didn't want to smack a deer testing my new toy. Seems very responsive and runs great! I will know more tomorrow when I get to test it at all speeds etc. Still have to set the 0 throttle thing but Fuel Moto has to send me the usb cable since it was missing from the box (not there doing it was from the factory that way).

Old 11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Cool, if you own a mp3 or digital camera it's the same USB cable.. with the flat usb connector on one end and the smaller usb device connector on the other end.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Peyts
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SMUNDORF

So far so good on my PCIII install. I installed the PCIII w/ 02 sensor eliminators and AN Big Sucker today. Only got a short ride in tonight since it is getting cold and dark so I didn't want to smack a deer testing my new toy. Seems very responsive and runs great! I will know more tomorrow when I get to test it at all speeds etc. Still have to set the 0 throttle thing but Fuel Moto has to send me the usb cable since it was missing from the box (not there doing it was from the factory that way).

Happy to hear that things have worked out better for you. Enjoy your spin tomorrow and let me know how it goes!

Cheers!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When doing the firmware use the 9V battery notthe ignition power. Another day with a high speed run to work and back and seems to be much improved with the new 2.2.2 firmware.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! PCIII TROUBLE