Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how are tires /wheels balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Seaquester5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how are tires /wheels balanced?

I am buying tires and wheels from Zanotti and they will mount the tires but not balance them stating rotors and pulley must be mounted to balance.Iquestion whether that is necessary?I am also installing theIDS pulley and wonder how it stays together while the wheel is balanced off the bike,as I read a thread somewhere about needing to tie the pulley together during installationbut I never really heard of needing to re balance the wheel if a rotor or pulley was changed or replaced. I'm sure there are some experts out there who can tell me if Zanotti is just yankin' my femur

Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: how are tires /wheels balanced?

A lot of people are now using the balancing beads that go in the tire, so no matter what you do, the tire stays balanced. There's a couple of threads here someplace about the beads.

Saw an ad just today at www.bestrestproducts.com for DynaBeads. Others have used such products as RideOn, which is a balancer/sealant that has gotten good reviews.
http://www.ride-on.com/

Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 PM
ridrkg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a balancing stand out of wood. It is similar in design to a wheel truing stand. I used a couple of old alternator bearings from a car on each upright of the stand and just lay the axle across the bearings with the wheel tire mounted. I didn;t worry about putting the pulley back on. The rotor was never removed. The heavy spot will settle to the bottom. I tape on different amounts of weight to the wheel till it is balanced, then stick the weights on. Works great and cheap. see ya Ken

Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with dynabeads, read the thread on michelin tires and read about how smooth they do the job. It costs about 5.00 per bike wheel and is simple to just put them in and air up tire and your done.
See them here;
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/?...FQHgPAodXVQcRQ