Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low is too low?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How low is too low?

I have an 04 RoadKing with the Harley lowering air shocks. I also used a lowering kit to bring it down another 1" or so.
My question is will this cause the fender to come in contact with the tire under some conditions. I seem to have eneough clearance, However,I do feel bottoming out on the shocks under certain conditions ie manhole covers if deep.I have not ridden with a passenger as of yet. BTW, the bike handles pretty good lowered looks great.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How low is too low?

Gotta think those great looks are gonna get you hurt at some point. I lowered a Road King several years ago then spent the summer dragging floorboards & exhaust. At some point, and it sounds like you have reached it, the bike is to low and the frame, kick stand, foot board, or some other part is gonna catch on something that doesn't move & you'll get tossed off when the bike rotates.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

I added a lowering kit to the rear of my bike, but I thought it also said not to mix it with lowered shocks 'cause that would be too low. If I were youI'd probably remove one or the other to be safe, but that's just me.I definitely would never ride two up in your configuration.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

At 9.5" the tire will contact the fender. Profile shocks are 12". Forget the math and get a quality air-ride system.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a 2 1\4" Rear Lowering Cams & Ft lowered 1 1\4" Progressive... Riding Solo still had to pump the rear air shocks up way high to not bottom out and larger dips - 2-up forget it & lost the cush for the tush ride...
Moved it up to a rear 1 1\4" drop - much better - better overall ride and even 2-up it takes a biggie dip to hit the tire - I ended up going to Progressive 440's in the rear 11 1\2" and looking now into a better Rear Air Ride System...

Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

ride 2-up then test ride and adjust to a safe height.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Blueslover
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are bolts, wiring harnesses, and all kinds of other chit under the rear fender that you do NOT want your tire contacting. Unless you need the bike lowered that far because you are vertically challenged, you are flirting with disaster. Grind the wiring harnessa few times and you'll find out quickly. I would never ever lower a bike more than 1 inch, and there are work arounds for that. If you are short, get a good air ride suspension, like Legends, Platinum, etc...this will allow you to lower the bike for parking, walking it around, looking cool, etc, but allow raising up to a safe, comfrotable height when actually riding. HD suspension is terrible anyway...when you lower it, you've just used up 1 of the 3 inches of bad suspension. If you must lower the bike an inch, put a decent suspension under it, and nothing HD offers can be called decent. It will cost you money, but will be the best money you spend on the bike in the long run. Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges in the front end...they will set them up an inch lower and you will have something on the bike like you've never experienced on any HD. They also offer Bitubo rear shocks in a 300mm (one inch lower) which are adjustable for rebound, preload, and compression. Best money you'll ever spend...

Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 PM
singlepin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02. I put the 1 1/4 lowering cam on my 07 Ulta and while riding 2 up I don't bottom out. I'm going to send my seat to Mean City Cycles when the season is over and have em drop it 1 to1 1/2 inches and put inmemory foam.