Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For you motor builders out there????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007 | 09:03 AM
jskwarek
|
Road Master
Default For you motor builders out there????

I think I have found my Road Glide, but I need some help.

V&H True Dual Exhaust
Screamin' Eagle AirBox
S&S 95" Forged Pistons
S&S 510 Cams
Power Commander III

I do my own work, and have done exhaust, air intakes, PC III, etc, but have yet to crack into a HD motor. Can you guys tell me what I need to be looking for when I look this bike over. What should be alarms to scare me away etc. I am going to look at this bike this afternoon, and if all is good then I will be adding a Road Glide to the stable

Jeff

Old 11-02-2007 | 09:17 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: For you motor builders out there????

I would want to know if those cams are gear drive or not. What year bike is it, there may be some other things to look for?

Old 11-02-2007 | 09:22 AM
jskwarek
|
Road Master

It is an 04, and you know I just assumed with it being an 04 and someone putting CAMS in it that they would have gone with a gear drive from what I have read about the tensionsers, but good point.

She is trying to get together all of the build papers from the mechanic that did the install as he works for one of the local HD Top Fuel teams here in the Dallas area.

Jeff

Old 11-02-2007 | 12:18 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master

I'd say listen to the motor for any odd noises, but being a HD you can throw that out the window. Check tire condition, look for rubber on the underside of the rear fender. Look at the condition of the oil does it smell burnt. Check for leaks or excessive oil out the breather. Roadtest it if he will allow and listen for out of the ordinary noises and power on accel. You can pull a plug and see how they look(lean/oil fouled). Best thing is to take it to a qualified shop spend the hour in labor and let a professional give you his opinion.

Old 11-02-2007 | 08:32 PM
jskwarek
|
Road Master

Well that turned out to be a bust. Was totally miss represented. No paper work was lied to about the cams well a least she said they were gear drive then handed me a hand written receipt on a piece of paper that said chain drive. Bike was a mess to say the least, brakes totally, paint was worn and stained, speaker grills were caved in, shield was painted with a brush and chopped up head light lens was cracked, and on and on. Not to mention the motor was covered in oil.

I can't understand why people pull crap like this. Just pisses me off that I drove an hour and a half to go look at this POS, and put all the time and energy into it.

Jeff

Old 11-03-2007 | 07:40 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, from the looks of your current bike (very nice BTW), you woulda changed, modified, painted and cleaned everything anyway. Maybe you coulda lowballed her on the price

Old 11-03-2007 | 09:19 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

But that's why we go.Sometimes there's gold, sometimes bad iron.

Old 11-03-2007 | 11:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

I for one can tell when someone is trying to pull a fast one.If I happen to go look at a bike while looking it over I will be testing the owner with some tech questions.Then here it run with a keen ear and look at exhaust etc.

Old 11-03-2007 | 07:57 PM
jskwarek
|
Road Master

If it was just minor things then you are right I would have low balled her picked it up cheap since she looked like she wanted to dump it quick for some drug money (my impression, no proof), but this thing was ragged hard, and there was no telling what the motor had in it and what kind of corners that they had cut. Like Phat said sometimes there is gold, I just happen to find the bad iron.

There was gold on the other side of the tunnel though I picked up a 05 Yellow Pearl Road Glide this afternoon, and I gotta hand it to yall Road Glide owners you guys have been hiding truly the best riding HD I have ever ridden. Even at 90 mph on the way back from the dealer the tunes where up ride was perfect. This thing takes corners like you would not believe. As you can see I am happy. Other then some wind buffeting that I am going to have to figure out, things are wonderful in my world right now.

Jeff

Old 11-03-2007 | 08:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Quick Reply: For you motor builders out there????