Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTT problem, rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTT problem, rough Idle

HEY DTT GURU's.Phil, Spike or anybody that might have had this problem. '04 ultra - 113 ci, headquarters heads, 575 cams, CP dishtop pistons, 10.5 comp. Rinehart TD's. The problem is rough idle, sounds like it is loading up. The rear cyl. hits a harder lick than the front. The TPS is good and the IAC is dead on at 30 @ 115. And sometimes on cold start is hard. If it doesn,t start on the first turn over, I have to turn it over several times and give it some throttle, after that it starts fine. Is there more adj. in the AFR that I should be looking at? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks Tim.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DTT problem, rough Idle

I don't have a DTT (yet), but can't help but wonder,,,, what do your plugs look like? I'm wondering if they are firing right? Wires ok? And is this a recient development or has it been like this from the git go?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Tim....

Did this just start all of a sudden? I do not recall you mentioned this before.

Did this just start now that it's really cold in the morning? We took a weekend ride up into NW Arkansas a couple weeks ago and it was 46 degrees Saturday morning. Both Kevin (Buttman) & I had a similar starting challenge when it was that cold. Both bikes started right up and died in about 10~15 seconds. Then is was a MF to get them started. Both required cracking the throttle just a bit (which has never been the case before) the get started again. Neither bike ever did it agin. THe next morning was in the 60's and they were both A-OK.

I wonder if this is similar to what you are experiencing. Hey Guy... you reading this? Is it cold up there yet ~ 40's or so? If so, have you experienced this?

I suspect that we may need to tweak the 2D, Start ADDR table. I know I played with mine to make hot starts a non-issue, I am guessing the reverse scenario may be happening.

Tim ~ I may use you as a guiney pig since my bike is down. Can you send me a copy of your most current MAP & rename it with a .txt extension (if not renamed, I can't receive it). I will see if I can fix yours, since my motor is out for.... uh..... growth.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:41 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

I did experience it also..... but after the first stall I fired right back up and ran.... I havent had it happen again so I didn't tweak anything yet! I would assume it would be the cold 2D file Phil mentioned.... Lets do some testing as it is not cold here in the mornings now.... Phil if you get the file call me and we can discuss this issue...

Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I have experienced it, andI did alter the 2D Time Based Cold Start Fuel Tableso it did not start to lean out quite as fast. Another trick I learned before I did this was to cycle the run stop switch twice so it gave it a little extra "blast" of fuel before the first crank. Another is if you are running compression releases go in and program it to not fire until the second revolution, that way the cylinder gets a full charge of fuel before starting.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get the most recent map to you soon. The plugs look pretty white, not tan like they used to. This pretty much started when I changed to 10.5 cr cp pistons, but also the temp. has been a little lower-50's in the mornings. But still has done it the mid 70's aslo. Another question about timing. Should it be as high as it can be w/o pinging for the best power? Think I wll try Dalton's suggestion and change the firing to 2 revolutions. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks again, Tim