Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing replacement 07 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007 | 02:41 PM
Seaquester5
|
Cruiser
Default Wheel bearing replacement 07 RKC

I bought new wheels and bearing kitsfor my 07 RKC. The Service manual says special tool # HD44060A is necessary to remove/replace front and rear wheel bearings...........is that tool REALLY necessary or can you tap them in the 'ol fashion way, with an appropriate size socket and hammer?

Old 11-01-2007 | 02:43 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Wheel bearing replacement 07 RKC

They are a pressed in sealed bearing (as you probably know by looking at them). I don't think you can get them out with a socket and hammer. You will probably need a blind hole puller because of the inner spacer. There isn't much room between the bearing and spaceer on my wheels.

Old 11-01-2007 | 02:54 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

I don't think you can get them out with a socket and hammer.
If he bought new wheels and bearings, I don't think he needs to remove the old bearings from the old wheels. Compared to the cost of a specialty tool you may or may not need, take the new wheels and bearings to your dealer or local indy and have them installed. Can't be any more $$$ to do it that way than to buy the HD tool.

Maybe someone with more know-how than me can tell you how to properly install the new bearings with common hand tools.

Old 11-01-2007 | 05:30 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Neckball

If he bought new wheels and bearings, I don't think he needs to remove the old bearings from the old wheels. Compared to the cost of a specialty tool you may or may not need, take the new wheels and bearings to your dealer or local indy and have them installed. Can't be any more $$$ to do it that way than to buy the HD tool.

Maybe someone with more know-how than me can tell you how to properly install the new bearings with common hand tools.
[ul][*]I own the Jims tool, and I have used this following methods (pulling the bearing in the photo and seating the bearing the paragraph following) in a jam. You are on your own on this one if it is not an emergency. We all do things in an emergency.[*]Installing bearings; I use the Jims tool. I know a cylinder the size of the outer part of the bearing, and use Never-Seize for lubrication, you can drive them in.[*]Please be advised that I do not advocate the use of the two methods unless you are stranded and have no other option.[*]Make sure the wheel bearing axle sleeve is properly parallel to your bearing before final seating[/ul]
[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/94415D124DB24487BCEA192CB2ED5B1B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2007 | 05:45 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

ORIGINAL: Neckball

I just bought the Jims tool, and I have never tried this method. You are on your own on this one.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/94415D124DB24487BCEA192CB2ED5B1B.jpg[/IMG]
That looks like the way to go. I would invest in the tool, but then again I have two HD's in my garage right now, and I am always working on friends bikes, so I am 100% sure I would get some use out of it. Also, it would save me the trip to the dealer or one of the indies to have the old bearings removed.

Old 11-01-2007 | 06:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Seaquester5 Bill, you live in Miami, FL. I am in Davie. Pop on by and I’ll do any bearing work necessary for you. No, I do not mean for $, for the pleasure of helping out another HDF.com member. Give me a ring on my dime 1-866-899-8962 almost anytime & set up a time. Now you do not have to spring for that $0.52 bearing puller. Save your cash and maybe rent a hooker or two (blue light special).

Old 11-01-2007 | 06:04 PM
Seaquester5
|
Cruiser

I just located the Jims Tool #1042 in the Dennis Kirk catalog for $205.00, anyone know of a better price anywhere? Thanx for the help. I ordered the wheels/bearings from Zanotti, I just e-mailed them to see if they will install before shipping, and how much they will charge. I know they get $12 to install IDS Bearing,at that price X 4 = $48 , I guess still won't be too bad a price versus $205 for a tool I won't likely use again any time soon...............although I really do love tools.And you know local dealer won't do it with parts bought elsewhere. ..............Howard, Thanx I PM'ed you .........YOU ARE THE BEST!

Old 11-01-2007 | 06:06 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Seaquester5 Bill, you live in Miami, FL. I am in Davie. Pop on by and I’ll do any bearing work necessary for you. No, I do not mean for $, for the pleasure of helping out another HDF.com member. Give me a ring on my dime 1-866-899-8962 almost anytime & set up a time. Now you do not have to spring for that $0.52 bearing puller. Save your cash and maybe rent a hooker or two (blue light special).
That's first class right there Howard. Way to go!

Old 11-01-2007 | 06:11 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Neckball Please be advised that I needed a R&R of one set of bearings at Phil Petersons in N. Miami. I was in a time crunch and I was at the factory and dumb azz me forgot the bearing puller. It is only 3-4 miles north. I was too lazy to do the 44 mi round trip thing to home. I got a bill for $90.00 + and I provided the bearings. Just think I did get the grease though, (for an additional) 2.5% shop fee. I have a tax #.

Old 11-01-2007 | 06:19 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Seaquester5 I have them in stock, $9.& some penny’s each. Don’t worry, with my markup, we can still get a few salamanders on Biscayne Bvd. & maybe have enough $ left over to get a beer each @ Blackies on 77th & the beach over the $ (0.52) you would have spent @ H. Depot. By the way, I do qualify under this thread HD Forum members are vulgar and not at the church gatherings protesting at dead Marines funerals.

I use all sizes in my C/F wheels so I buy them in bulk. I use the KLM bearings as they are one of the world’s best. Yes, there is a difference in the quality and price of bearings just like everything else .

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing replacement 07 RKC