Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Stock front fender on FLHX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lowering Stock front fender on FLHX?

Can the stock front fender on the FLHX be lowered? I'd like to have mine closer to the tire.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Big_Joe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowering Stock front fender on FLHX?

Yes it can. Before we started stamping our own fenders which sit lower than stock that is what we didon every kustom bagger. It will require removing the stock fender bracket and the use of a set of fender blocks.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drill some holes.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chornbe

Drill some holes.
Come on man. You can do better than that. Are you that short on time?

OK, I'm interested in this too. If I can lower the stock fender simply by drilling holes how much can I lower the finder. I can't see it dropping more than 1/2 to 3/4". From what I can recall (bike is in the parking garage so I can't see the finder), the fender can be dropped more than this. I'd like to drop it to about 1/2 to 3/4" from the tire. Can simply drilling new mount holes in the existing tabs accomplish this?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Z_Stingray

ORIGINAL: chornbe

Drill some holes.
Come on man. You can do better than that. Are you that short on time?

OK, I'm interested in this too. If I can lower the stock fender simply by drilling holes how much can I lower the finder. I can't see it dropping more than 1/2 to 3/4". From what I can recall (bike is in the parking garage so I can't see the finder), the fender can be dropped more than this. I'd like to drop it to about 1/2 to 3/4" from the tire. Can simply drilling new mount holes in the existing tabs accomplish this?
No, after about the 5/8" mark, you would have to fashion new mounts/straps for it, I believe. It looks like there's enough bend/curve in the mounting flange that you might start warping or deforming the fender if you drill/move the mounts on the fender, to tighten it in more. I don't think there's enough meat on the mounting straps to re-drill them and make it worth it. I can see using some brushed aluminum to make new mounts, then riveting them to the fender to maintain internal and external clearance and appearance.

$.02

Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big_Joe,

Fender blocks? Where can I purchase?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:50 AM
BigWheelBob
Cruiser

Since everyone else is beating around the bush, I will give you'all the lowdown. Call http://www.nativecustombaggers.com/products.phpand order you a set of brackets, remove your fender and carfully remove your old brackets from the fender. Lay a length of 3/8's rubber hose along the length of the tire, and hold it in place with a piece of tape. make sure the inside of the fender is clean, as these brackets will be welded on. Bolt the brackets on the bike loosly, lay the fender into position over the hose, snug the bolts a bit, and carfully position the fender where you want it. clamp into position, remove, weld the brackets on slowly. You dont need alot here. After thats done, smooth the fender, and paint. This is one of the easiest mods you could do to your bagger, for the most cosmetic gain.
On another note, The heritage's, you just trim back the brackets, lay into position, mark a new set of holes thru the fork holes, and redrill, no brackets needed.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Big_Joe
Novice

We used fender mounting blocks from Drag Specialties. part # DS-222128. If you do not have a local Drag dealer you work withmy partsman has a seton hand. This is one of the bikes we used this method on. The crown of the fender runs about 1/2 to 5/8 off the tire. We would remove the stock bracket and smooth the rivets from the fender. Hope that helps.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

That does require that you paint the fender over, one of our members her sent me over this part # 50913-02a I got from Zanotti's. com for 62. bucks and shipping was 13. bucks, or your own shop could have it for 80. bucks. You cut off the old brakets and use this to place the fender where you want with the new braket. It comes chrome but I pan on blacking it out. Here's the link below.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2397494/tm.htm

Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Big_Joe
Novice

You are correct, shaving the rivets would require paint. That's just an extra detail that can set you apart.

There are a many different brackets on the market that can do the same thing for you. Basicly any fender block made to mount a softail fender to an FLHT front endwill get you the desired effect.

Quick Reply: Lowering Stock front fender on FLHX?