Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feeler need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM
kingtut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feeler need some opinions

im looking into a 21-18 80spoke setupfor my RG. everyone has pm wheels or rims. i want something different. im going to sell my PM torque wheels w/ front rotors with metzler tires the rear is new. idont have the matching rear rotor or pulley. i didnt get it because you cant see them.. i have someone offering $2500.00 but hes getting his $ together.

is that a fair price or should i keep my PM wheels.
what the pros and cons to wire wheels?

[IMG]local://upfiles/27553/C515A9680D3145EB94ABB7CCBCDCFD92.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: feeler need some opinions

The bike looks great with those wheels, IMO. Plus, I am not a big fan of spoke wheels, but I can understand the need to be different. It's your bike, ya gotta make yourself happy. I have no idea what the cost of the wheels are, but seems to me you could sell your for $2500, buy the spokes you want, and still be ahead on money. I would probally do it.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:52 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I have Wires and I Luv Them, you will probably break even on price you are getting and price for New Wheels

Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: IceHeritage

I have Wires and I Luv Them, you will probably break even on price you are getting and price for New Wheels
Wow, really? I would think wire wheels would be less money? I have never priced them, obviously. I know a lot of riders love them, and that is great, I just feel they seem to be a lot more maintenance. but, never owning a bike with them, I really don't know. It is just the sense I get from reading what people have asked, or said about them. Like having to adjust, and tighten the spokes. Not being able to plug the tire on the road (easily), Etc.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the day all motorcycles had wire wheels. It was all there was! Then, PROGRESS, along comes alloy wheels & tubeless tires! If you're never goin' out of town, or far from your trailer, don't care about maintenance costs, & just have to have "the look" then go for it. OTOH, if you intend to ride anywhere & want reliability, find a good lookin' alloy wheel & run tubeless............JMHO........But you *did* ask.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, All wire wheels that require tubes SUCK no matter how they look. Its the call a wrecker thing if you have a flat and worped and broken, cracked ones on heavy touring bikes that make it a no brianer to just say no to tube type wires. Besides your bike looks awesome as is.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Big_Joe
Novice

Look at Ride Wright Wheelsthey can do wheels with sealed spokes. They have good product and do custom orders.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
kingtut73
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

IMO, All wire wheels that require tubes SUCK no matter how they look. Its the call a wrecker thing if you have a flat and worped and broken, cracked ones on heavy touring bikes that make it a no brianer to just say no to tube type wires. Besides your bike looks awesome as is.
thanks for the complement Gunrunner.the wheels im looking at are tubeless.that was one thing i was worried about. im still doing my homework on strength,durabilityand where they are made. im staying away from the chinese suff. i really like the 100 spokes but i have found a manufacture that does them in house but they only go up to 80 spoke. they still look great. until someone comes up with the $ my PMs are fine.Im really looking into that retro classic look on a bagger.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
DonnyI
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Keep the forged chrome, forget wire spokes.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
kingtut73
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Big_Joe

Look at Ride Wright Wheelsthey can do wheels with sealed spokes. They have good product and do custom orders.
good prices Joe thanx.. i noticed you guys shave an ohlins Damper on the WFB bike what the part number on the mount? is that a standard damper on the bagger? i really love those carbon fiber wheels they look like BST wheels. thumbs up!

Quick Reply: feeler need some opinions