Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra?? DEAL DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007 | 11:53 PM
bikenuts
|
Cruiser
Default Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra?? DEAL DONE!!

I was thinking of buying an '03 100th Anniv. Ultra and than thought, "why don't I go for the 07 with bigger engine and 6 speed?" I mentioned this to a friend who told me of heat problems with the '07 and a noisy 5th gear. I've owned an '02 Goldwing (tended to run very hot in stop n' go traffic), and an '05 K1200LT which I thought was top heavy. So i thought I would give the HD a shot. I don't expect any bike to be without some problems, but it an get very hot in So. Cal. in the summer and I'm concerned about the reported heat problems discussed here and on other websites. So how serious is this and should I go back to the original '03 plan? I really don't like buying the older technology, but I also don't want to bake in the summer. Your thoughts, please.

MADE THE DEAL! HERE'S THE NEW RIDE. SEE MY LAST POST FOR UPDATE!

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:06 AM
Roadbandit
Cruiser
Default RE: Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra??

IF YOU BUY A NEW FROM A DEALER TEST DRIVE IT AND MAKE SURE IT GETS GOOD AND HOT. LISSEN FOR A CLATTER, IF IT CLATTERS TELL THE DEALER TO PITCH IN AN I.D.S. IN THE DEAL. HELL I WOULD TELL THEM I WANT ONE ANYWAY. BELEAVE ME IF IT CLATTERS YOU WILL BE SO DISCUSSED WITH THE BIKE, IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK THAT YOU WASTED ALL THAT MONEY ON IT. TAKE IT FROM ONE WHO HAS BEEN THREW THIS, THE I.D.S. HAS MADE MY ROAD KING CLASSIC A NICE RIDE NOW INSTEAD OF A BIG MISTAKE THAT I WORRIED ABOUT FOR OVER A YEAR. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:06 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Hmmmm........methinks we might know each other - ah use the same moniker on the WOTI list, an' on the GWRRA board as well (until ah sold the Wing last winter). All ah kin tell ya is that ah've got 12k miles on our '07 Ultra now, an' ain't regretted a thang - other than havin' waited so long!

Go fer the '07....

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:10 AM
bikenuts
|
Cruiser

Uhhh....I'm new at this, so, what is I.D.S?? What does it do? And what is the cost?

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:10 AM
bigdognc
Advanced

Go for the 07, unless you are getting a killer price on the 03. I think the six speed, and bigger engine are really worth it. I rode an 05UC, and my bike is much stronger, but at highway speeds, I cruise at 2500 rpm / 70mph, the 05 was over 3,000 rpm. Comes down to value for your dollar, IMHO. I have the 07 with 6,000 miles on it now. Aircooled engine, in traffic, no air, no cool. Not much you can do about that. Running, it did run a little hot, but it is easily addressed. Plan on some good synthetic oil, and an oil cooler ($300) (only works when you are moving). If you do the stage 1 air, and power commander (or equivalent), you should be fine. The primary reason for the heat, ws the adhearance to epa regs, making it very lean. I ride in 100 degree heat, two up this past summer, so opted for the Oil Cooler (JAGG 10-row). Also, switching to Mobil 1 helped a lot (total drop in temp was about 50 degrees, from 260 to 210 degrees, in 94 degree weather. Now the bike runs cooler than my friend's 03 UC. Based on a ride last month, and we both have oil diptick thermometers.

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:13 AM
bigdognc
Advanced

IDS is Isolated Drive System, basically a two section sprocket that uses rubber to cushion the torque pulses of the engine. Really works well. Part Cost is $305, and they have a special elbow grease deal to cover the labor.

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:17 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

IDS - Idiot Doesn't understand Simple instructions....

Folks that ah've heard with "noise issues" by an' large found they go away when they maintain proper RPM's. These bikes do NOT like rpm's under 2k.

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:27 AM
bikenuts
|
Cruiser

The '03 is sliver/black, has 14k mi., almost 2 years left on extended warranty. Upgraded chrome footrests frt/rear, brake pedal, shifter, mp3 player, 4 spkr front & 2rear. Price:$16,000.
The '07 has 7k mi., chrome front end package, chrome contoured luggage rack, bullet lights, oil cooler, the same chrome footrests,brake pedal, shifter. as the '03 (Nostalgia?), plus a lot more chrome I can't remember. Pearl Red/Black...byoootiful! 5 year warranty w/4 years remaining. Price: $19,000.

I'm more than willing to pop for the difference, I just don't want to make a 20K mistake, especially after knowing he issues with the '07.

Old 10-31-2007 | 12:36 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

buy the 07. the few reported problems are easily addressed

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:05 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

get the 07....heat, gear clatter etc is easy to remedy.....
if u get 03, and u be passed by 07 on highway, dont panic....

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra?? DEAL DONE!!