Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra?? DEAL DONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:22 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra??

'07, hands down. That seems like a lot of money for an '03. And everywhere you look you see those special "anniversary models"!

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:37 AM
peddler
Club Member

I own an '07 Ultra and have been thru the "issues" for 12 months. Heat, 1st and 5th gear whine. Installed SE slip ons, SE air cleaner, dynoed at 1,000 mi, converted to 20W50 synthetic in motor and primary with Amsoil 75w140 in tranny.And installed IDS.

Heat has been reduced below the level of my Stage 1 modified '99 TC88.
1st and 5th gear whine has been reduced to the point I can't hear it even with the radio off.
5th and 6th gear run great all hte way down to 2,000 rpms.
70mph at 2600 rpms in 6th gear is like floating...very smooth.

My concerns regarding htis bike have been addressed and it will only be taken away from me at gun point. I may buy another one.

Buy the '07. You can benefit from the '07 owners experience.The only problem I have now is never wanting to get off of it. Just my .02

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:50 AM
radridd
Tourer

Get the 07.

Old 10-31-2007 | 05:50 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

There are a lot aof opinions about the IDS. Some bikes were ok as long as you kept the RPM's above 2k as Texasredneck says. Mine had to be kept above 2.5k. Those that claimed they had no problems, but later broke down and installed one have by and large reported an improvement in the smoothness of the bike.
When I let my salesman drive mine after installing the IDS, he said he would not sell another 07 touring bike without it.
IF you do a search of the forum you will find a ton of posts about it.
Seems that the vast majority who installed it are happy with the upgrade, as am I. It's your choice.
I would say buy the 07!

Old 10-31-2007 | 06:02 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

'07 Hands Down............ I also live in SoCal where it's always HOT from April - Nov (around Palm Springs)... Few simple ad-ons and you'll be ridin in comfort!

Old 10-31-2007 | 06:04 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

Let me chime in here...buy the 07.

My 07 RK Custom has never had an issue with heat, and has never had any of the tranny issues mentioned.

Like others have said I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 10-31-2007 | 06:35 AM
KraZeeInOhio
Advanced

As others have said.....BUY THE 2007!

I just finished a three week solo trip to San Diego (from Columbus, OH) and the bike ran flawlessly. Have Stage 1 & SE Slip-Ons and putting IDS on today to reduce some of the drive train vibration.

It's the best touring bike available IMO.

Old 10-31-2007 | 06:54 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Get the '07!

Old 10-31-2007 | 08:33 AM
tkjones2
Banned

at the price they are aksing for the 03 then 07 is much better deal hands down. i as well came from the the wing world of alot of years and bought my 06 Road Glide last year, AND SHE ROXS. the HD will have differant quirks thans the wing, but if you do you own wrench work, and dont mind feeling the pride of doing it yourself the sky is the limit with the HD, you can make it truly you own ride. yeah some folks holler about the 5th gear noise on the 07's and up, some will say things about the heat, the fuel management, but with a ilttle time a little cash it will all be good. there is a ton of good info here, and some damn good folks. as for the 03 he is about 3-4k to high. if the 07 talks to you dont hesitate, if its not quite the one that makes you go to the garge at midnight to checkon one last time keep looking, there are ton of good used low mile well carefored HD's out there.

Wings and Bemmers are fine machine's in ther own right, i wont bad mouth them. but be prepared cause once your butt hits the saddle of a HD a invisable hand reaches up from under the seat grabs your nuts and reminds you 'I AM ALIVE " and then that goofy i just a new scoot smile hits that takes ....well im not shure how long it takes to get rid of cause mines still there. and with the HD the customazation options are just to endless to list. your HD will be noisy, smelly, and cantankerious at times, but she will give you more reason to be on 2 than any other bike out there. Give her a 100 mile run and she will show you why anyone of the folks here and more on the road will go to war over someone messing with thier scoot.

Old 10-31-2007 | 08:35 AM
tkjones2
Banned

and even though i hate to say this in a way cause it seems everyone is getting one, "so much for HD's best kept secret" check out the Road Glide, she is the shark nosed fixed fairing, will handle more like your used to comeing from a wing. i love mine and if you search here for roadglide owners you will see we are getting a decant following.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to buy an '07 Ultra?? DEAL DONE!!