Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Knocking when starting new RKC...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
1SG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud Knocking when starting new RKC...WTF?

(If I pull hard on the clutch cable and check the gap at the lever, it's 1/16", so I know it's right. )

When checking the 1/16 play you don,t pull hardon the lever, it is the freeplay the lever has before it starts to pull on the cable.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah - what they ^^^^^^ said....

I have about 1500 on mine and put Amsoil 75w-90 in the trans at the 1000 mark. Neutral has become much easier to find and today I had a very interesting thing happen. I was at a stop in neutral, pulled in the clutch and eased down the shifter into first and heard..... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking WTF???? It shifted into first without a sound. No click, no clack, no clunck.... I've never had any bike do that before - not even a metric....

Alas - I have another sound at idle though. A new ticking/rattle from the lifter area. Only when warm/hot and only at idle. Maybe it's the crappy oil I have in the engine. Time for another oil change.

So HD got rid of the shifting noise and replaced it with a compensator smack noise. Progressive engineering... Willie G style.......

Old 10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Mine made the loud clunk everytime I started it until I put the Thundermax Autotune and Rineharts on. It only makes that loud knock every once and a while. Everyone says it is the compensator but I think it is from starting too lean. Who cares, it is better now and if my test ride goes good tomorrow I will be trading my Ultra in on a new Roadie. Then I have to put all my stuff back on my new Roadie. Get used to it and just ride the sumbisquit. T.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

There were some 07's that had bad wrist pin clearance allowing the piston to actually wobble - if it's that, you'll know before long - we had one die at 350 miles. Btw, I am officially "retired" for the second time and no longer am privy to HD information.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
stglideblk
Cruiser

my 06 SG with 30000 miles started this clanking noise last week, for about 20 seconds. To me it sounded like a lifter might be draining. Made appt and hasnt done it in a week. I dont have a clue

Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 PM
24guns
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bigdoghd

Hmm.......knock, clatter, ticking noise, vibration we are talking a Harley? Sounds pretty normal to me.
True, but this is my first HD so I guess I'm still a little wet behind the ears as to what is and what isn't normal.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 PM
24guns
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: stglideblk

my 06 SG with 30000 miles started this clanking noise last week, for about 20 seconds. To me it sounded like a lifter might be draining. Made appt and hasnt done it in a week. I dont have a clue
Let us know how you make out with this one. You and I could be talking about the same noise.
If I can get it to do it again, I'll try to record it and post for ya'll to hear.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know gents......It really sounds like a severe case of preignition knock due to super lean condition....I'm thinking it ain't good for the stuff that goes roundy round and up and down.

You guys with stage one and remaps-does yours still emit the startup knock?

On the clutch, if I pull the outer cable straight away from the lever housing, I have 1/16" gap where the silver ferrule meets the lever housing....Is that where you measure cable adjustment?......Also, even with clutch squeezed, you can't push the bike around if it is in gear.....Once again, it only has 150 miles on it.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

I don't know gents......It really sounds like a severe case of preignition knock due to super lean condition....I'm thinking it ain't good for the stuff that goes roundy round and up and down.

You guys with stage one and remaps-does yours still emit the startup knock?

On the clutch, if I pull the outer cable straight away from the lever housing, I have 1/16" gap where the silver ferrule meets the lever housing....Is that where you measure cable adjustment?......Also, even with clutch squeezed, you can't push the bike around if it is in gear.....Once again, it only has 150 miles on it.
I don't know if it's possible to have the motor knock on startup - especially when it's cold.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is starting to suck.....took it out for long ride today and stopped for a beer.....Bike was still hot when I got back on it.....I'd NOT backed into parking space and was trying to click it into neutral WITH ENGINE OFF so I could walk it backwards to leave.......Bike refused to roll with clutch squeezed AND refused to go into neutral.....finally I started bike and got the startup lurch, then toed the shifter 20 times up n down till it finally hit neutral where I could walk it backwards.

I ran by dealer and ordered a service manual(and also picked up a pair of fog lights)....service guys checked cable freeplay and just shrugged.

It's funny how it will click into neutral while rolling to a stop, but once stopped I'm screwed.

Quick Reply: Loud Knocking when starting new RKC...WTF?