Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogg Chopps-Are they worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hogg Chopps-Are they worth the money?

From reading from their site, they are taller. That, and the fact they come color matched (and price), is why I was looking at them.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of these on my Street Glide, color matched Black Pearl like Sped. They are indeed talled than the HD ones and sit forward of the engine guard compared to the factory lowers so there is more foot room. The color matching is spot on. With the fairing side deflectors installed I get very little wind on my knees. The narrow shape at the bottom allows a pretty descent flow to the engine but my lower legs stay warm none-the-less. As for the concerns with the mounting brackets, I don't see that there will be a problem there. The lowers are pretty thick ABS and the clamps are vinyl covered clamps so I don't expect any failures to happen.

Here are a few pics of them installed:

Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bdjhog

I have a set of these on my Street Glide, color matched Black Pearl like Sped. They are indeed talled than the HD ones and sit forward of the engine guard compared to the factory lowers so there is more foot room. The color matching is spot on. With the fairing side deflectors installed I get very little wind on my knees. The narrow shape at the bottom allows a pretty descent flow to the engine but my lower legs stay warm none-the-less. As for the concerns with the mounting brackets, I don't see that there will be a problem there. The lowers are pretty thick ABS and the clamps are vinyl covered clamps so I don't expect any failures to happen.

Here are a few pics of them installed:

They do look great. One question, though. Where the outer part of the lower contacts the engine guard, do you have any rubbing, or vibration in them that causes a noise from them hitting the engine guard? I see it has a clamp on the bottom, and one on top. there seems like it should have a third right at that upper section that looks to come in contact with the engine guard???

Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
VicDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap ...... somethng else to buy!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: VicDawg

Crap ...... somethng else to buy!
Let me know when you get yours, Vic. I want to see them in person. Heck, I will even put them on for ya, if you want. LOL

Old 11-01-2007, 12:20 AM
profinish
Banned

I'd rather wear chaps

Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: profinish

I'd rather wear chaps
Really? Chaps are not for me. I grew up in the late 70's and 80's, so, I guess the Village People ruined the look for me.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 AM
profinish
Banned

[sm=escape.gif]Good one Papa... Now you ruined it for me

Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 AM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

They do look great. One question, though. Where the outer part of the lower contacts the engine guard, do you have any rubbing, or vibration in them that causes a noise from them hitting the engine guard? I see it has a clamp on the bottom, and one on top. there seems like it should have a third right at that upper section that looks to come in contact with the engine guard???
They do indeed contact the engine guard at the spot you are referring to. However they are very firmly attached to the bars. Any vibration of the engine guard is transmitted directly to the hoggchopps so they vibrate in unison. I've never heard any sort of noise coming from them. I suppose over time they could vibrate loose some which could possibly produce some wear at that spot or create a vibration noise. I don't leave mine on year round so this scenario hasn't developed on me thus far. I agree that a third mounting point at this location seems like it would be logical, however I think due to the coutour of the lower in that area it might be difficult to get a good fit. The other two clamps are placed in areas where the plastic is flattened out.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Very Nice BP SG, bdjhog

Do you have any side shot of your bike with those WW tires.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Hogg Chopps-Are they worth the money?