Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single front caliper...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Single front caliper...

OK... leaning towards losing the right caliper on my 2006 roadglide when I go to custom wheels.... for anyone that has done it, it is as simple as putting a bolt in the T block to seal where the right line goes down?

if yes, any clues as to the bolt size? Would like to have it on hand prior to removing the brake line, to minize fluid dripping out.

edit: I should have added... I know I could just run a single braided line from the m/c down to the caliper, but I kind of like how the black lines blend into the background on my black pearl bike, and don't feel the need to swap my lines for braided ones right now.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Single front caliper...

You really have guts. Are you telling us that you are just going to use one stock caliper on the front? I feel baggers brakes are marginal the way they are and you are going to cut that in half.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

yeah man I'll sacrifice safety for LOOKS anyday !

just kidding.. already running Lyndall pads, andright now the brakes on my roadglide are far superior to the brakes on my other bike... I'm not worried about the single caliper... if it becomes an issue then I'll upgrade the stock caliper to a 6 piston one... but I think it'll be fine... I ain't doin stoppies on this bike!

Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After riding in the dyna family for so long and just buying in the FL family I like two calipers up front. The stoppin power is great. You can't see the looks going down the road.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heavy baggers need all the braking power they can get. They put two disks on there for a reason. No way would I do anything to make such an important component any weaker.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Ya, Brother I am with you on this one. I must agree with the writer of this thread, as I have never once needed a good braking system, well at least not until the end anyhow.

I have a less than 500 lb motorcycle with radial mounted 2X calipers on 320mm (12.6") rotors. I have carbon fiber wheels that will stop much faster than any other wheel out there period (less rotating mass). I have a Hayabusa rear caliper on a 11 1/2" rotor.

The ride home last Thursday. Just about home and it is rush hour. A 5 lane road with a traffic light about 500 yards away. There was no traffic in front of me but this car pulls out of the gas station and goes across 2 ½ lanes (1/2 lane was the turning lane) and I pull the heat on, all the way. Bottom line, I could have not stopped but managed to skirt around the front end of the car and oncoming traffic. I was hauled down to around 20-30 mph, I guess?
It does not matter to me if you want to take off your rotor because it looks cool to you. The real men in this forum who ride will also know how it looks. Yes, I use Lyndall Golds all the way around. good luck & hope to God I do not read about you. P.S. do not be selfish and go 2 up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/A63FDE83FE7F48F194680F89FA1CB1ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Ya, Brother I am with you on this one. I must agree with the writer of this thread, as I have never once needed a good braking system, well at least not until the end anyhow.

I have a less than 500 lb motorcycle with radial mounted 2X calipers on 320mm (12.6") rotors. I have carbon fiber wheels that will stop much faster than any other wheel out there period (less rotating mass). I have a Hayabusa rear caliper on a 11 1/2" rotor.

The ride home last Thursday. Just about home and it is rush hour. A 5 lane road with a traffic light about 500 yards away. There was no traffic in front of me but this car pulls out of the gas station and goes across 2 ½ lanes (1/2 lane was the turning lane) and I pull the heat on, all the way. Bottom line, I could have not stopped but managed to skirt around the front end of the car and oncoming traffic. I was hauled down to around 20-30 mph, I guess?
It does not matter to me if you want to take off your rotor because it looks cool to you. The real men in this forum who ride will also know how it looks. Yes, I use Lyndall Golds all the way around. good luck & hope to God I do not read about you. P.S. do not be selfish and go 2 up.

You know what Howard. You have a tremendous amount of engineering and physics knowledge. You have the ability to be a tremendous asset to this forum. My question to you is: Why do you always insist on putting a little jab in your posts to everyone on this forum that customizes a bike with a little style? If you would just stop preaching about what you do and how wrong it is for someone to put a nice part on their bike to enhance the looks you would be a more valuable member to this forum in my opinion. Assuming anyone that has a stylish bike doesn't actually ride it is total BS. Just because a bike looks good doesn't mean it doesn't get ridden, and not just back and forth to bike night to be seen.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Steve: As profit oriented as HD has shown itself to be over the years, I am pretty sure that if they didn't feel absolutely compelled for liability reasons to put two front calipers on the touring bikes they wouldn't. They took off the front air baffle under the fork tree, removed the passenger grab rail on the Classic, and most recently removed the saddlebag guard rails on the RK Standard. So they know how to remove stuff from the motorcycle to lower production cost.

To answer your question about plugging the line to the right side, I just don't know. I do know that on the single caliper front brake systems, HD uses a master cylinder with a 9/16" orifice and the twin caliper uses 11/16".

Hopefully, for your sake and the people that care about you, you will thoroughly research this change before making it. I don't doubt that for non-emergency situations, a single caliper would be inconsequential; the concern is when you need maximum or near maximumbraking and you won't have it with a single rotor on a formerly twocaliper bike.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here Here Biggzed

Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 PM
fishafly
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

You know what Howard. You have a tremendous amount of engineering and physics knowledge. You have the ability to be a tremendous asset to this forum. My question to you is: Why do you always insist on putting a little jab in your posts to everyone on this forum that customizes a bike with a little style? If you would just stop preaching about what you do and how wrong it is for someone to put a nice part on their bike to enhance the looks you would be a more valuable member to this forum in my opinion. Assuming anyone that has a stylish bike doesn't actually ride it is total BS. Just because a bike looks good doesn't mean it doesn't get ridden, and not just back and forth to bike night to be seen.
Amen to that BZ...

And if you do have a wealth of engineering and physics knowledge Howard, please explain to me the physics of this..
A heritage only weighs 27 lbs less than an FLHR (according to HD)...
If I go single disc on my RK and you ride a Heritage and weigh 40lbs more than I do. Who is at a disadvantage now??
I am in no way tryin to be a smart A$$...

Quick Reply: Single front caliper...