Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Medical Info on Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Medical Info on Helmet

ORIGINAL: swomack

What if they can't find you head??? LOL
Then it's no longer an emergency.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 AM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NCCopBikeRider

Blood type on Helmet, Medical information on Med Card in Front Pocket of Riding Jacket. I.C.E. as #2 Speed Dial in Cell Phone.

Most EMS will lookfor I.C.E. (Incase of Emergency) phone number.

Each is good, all are great.

Hope you never have to use any of them.

I just added a I.C.E. listing to my cellphone, what a great idea. Thanks for the idea..............

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Helmets don't make it to the ER. Wallets and bracelets do. Blood type written on anything is about meaningless. No one pushes a unit of blood because of what is written on something that comes in with the patient. What if it's wrong? What if you kill them because you gave the wrong type based on a sticker on a helmet? Who's *** is it going to be? Blood is type and crossed in a few minutes if it is that necessary, but generally you just push some fluids first or go O if you have to. Waiting a few minutes to make sure the patient won't get killed is not going to kill them should they need blood.

What you should have: If you have something major wrong with you, you should have that information written down somewhere like in your wallet or on a bracelet (or both) if it is that important. Drug alergies (could be #1 in importantce), diabetes, heart disease (although that can be figgered out pretty fast), an aneurysm clip in your head (MRI could kill you), any medicines you are taking that you'll die without, etc. I had a patient one time when I was doctoring in the TX prison hospital. I asked him if he was allergic to any meds. He said, yeah, penicillin. I asked what happened when he took it. He said that his heart stopped and they had to get those paddle things to jump start him. This had happened to him twice. He would be an example of someone needing a bracelet and multiple other informational items out in the world.

DNR's are ignored unless they are totally correct, and then your next of kin better be onboard with it. Saw a "DNR" tattoo on a guy in Sturgis this year. It was just the letters "DNR" on his left chest. While it would certainly make you think while coding them, it would not stop you from coding them. I suggested to him that he get the full words tattoed our in smaller letters "Do Not Resuscitate," his signiture, date and the signiture/date of a witness. That _might_ stop a team from coding him, or slow them down a little (which is almost as good). And keep an official one in your wallet.

Donor cards are completely ignored. If you want to be an organ donor, make sure your next of kin fully understand this and are willing/capable of following through with it should it happen that you become brain dead. The NoK is the one that says yes or no, not your card or the back of your driver's license.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Info is good, but for this to be of good use this company should send out some kind of info to notify EMS and rescue to look for it. If you look at a lot of biker helmets they are covered in stickers, this would be lost in the mess unless someone knew to look for it.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Better to have it than not

Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<Helmets don't make it to the ER. Wallets and bracelets do>

Actually if the EMS service provides PHTLS training to their paramedic's Helmets do make it to the ER. This so the treating MD can inspect the helmet for damage and where the damage is. Helps to diagnose areas of head injuries and gives an aproximate idea of impact. Infact the standard is to remove all Motorcycle Helmets from the patients. This becuase of the Occipital region of the helmet keeping the cervical spine from being inline. Unfortunatly since a number of States dont have helmets laws (Again should be a choice not a law) to train people to look for medical information in a helmet that many times is just not there. ICE on the other hand as become excepted in nearly all states and Euroupe. The best thing to do though is to place medical information in a wallet on a small card. Its the most accepted practice and as an EMS Educator I have taught students to look in wallets for medical information for years. That or look for medical alert braclets.

Good Thread
Frank

Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 AM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a medical necklace from Medic Alert. There is also a Medic Alert sticker on the bike, but in an emergency, the necklace works better. It goes with me to the ER, not with the bike to the lot. And the ICE number is a great idea.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 AM
2002jadefatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right ctmedic. I work as a flight nurse and we always take the helmet with us. It is often the next thing the trauma surgeons ask for after our report.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM
tbrown2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the accepted practice for removing helmets at an accident scene? I recently was involved in an accident and told EMS to not remove my helmet and they strapped me down to the board with the helmet on. Once at the ER with lots of help the doctor removed the helmet and checked things out. I guess it was a throw back to my football days as that was the accepted response in the day. What is taught today?

Old 11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great info .

Quick Reply: Medical Info on Helmet