Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:54 AM
TomIa
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!

New to the forum, so hello everyone. I do not own a Harley (hope this doesn't get me kicked of the forum ). Like most of you I've been riding motorcycles since before and after I got my license. Dirt bikes etc, first street bike was a honda CB200T, then came a couple yamaha maxims, a 1000 virago, and finally my suzuki 1500 Intruder(harley clone, harleywanna-be) I have now. Well of course a harley has always been the bike I've always wanted but never thought they were in my league. I've been looking at them seriously now for awhile and really like the ultra classics. I know their called geezer glides but i love the full dressers and the long haul comfort of them. My wife says these are for grandpas, but like i told her i couldn't really care less what someone else thinks about what i ride as long as I'm happy (I told her!....plus i did own a CB200T ). Anyway I still need to test drive one for sure to see if i like, sat on at the dealer and its awesome! And I still need to talk myself into a new 21000 dollar bike. I'm 29 and can't help but feel a little selfish if i do pull the trigger on one. I know its different for every situation, but has the bike been worth it to anybody that has gone ahead, said screw it, and bought one? Sorry for the paragraph................thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 04:02 AM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!

You're young and will likely change your mind from time to time. With that said, I would by a used glide in the $12-13k range and ride it for a year. When it comes time to sell, you won't lose any money. Don't buy a new Harley and then decide if you like it.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 AM
24guns
Cruiser

No regrets here. Best bike I have even owned at this point.

I'm 34 and never had anyone give me sh*t about being old. 'Cept my kids.

The wife and I road for many years on a 750 magna and a 660 crotch rocket. Put quite a few miles on both. Ran this way until about 1999 or so.
At this point, my kidsand job needed more timeand riding was tough to do. Bikes sat in the garage and I eventually sold both. It wasn't saddest of times as it was getting more and more difficult to put miles on those types of bikes. Lots of fatigue after the ride, sore ****, lower back killing you the next day....

Flash to 2007. Kids no longer need a babysitter and gas $$$ are enough to make me puke. We decided it was time to get back on a bike.
We decided we wanted a touring bike for comfort on the long and storage to match. It was either an Ultra or a Wing. The Ultra won as I always wanted a Harley as my pop rode them most of his life.

If you have buds who give you crap about a geezer glide, invite them on a 500 miler with only gas stops. When they get off for gas and can't walk, laugh at them and tell them they look old as they try to straighten up. Or when they pull up and ask you to pull over for a stretch break, laugh and ask, "What, again???"

Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

she may think its an old mans bike now, but wait until you do a long road trip on it. she'll be digging the comfort then. try renting one first for a weekend and do some cruising, then you can either hunt for a good used one, or bite the bullet on a new one.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:17 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Until you own a Harley, you might not know how much you will love it, or not. Seldom does anyone not love their Harley, but, I am sure it has happened at some point. So, just to make sure you are making the correct decision for yourself, buying an older used bike is nota bad idea. Then you will know a little more of what most of us have figured out. Life is better on a Harley. It just is. But, I agree $21k is a lot of money. So, starting off used, at a lower price tag, is not a bad start, IMO.

As far as feeling guilty about spending so much money on yourself, I can relate to that. Every time I tell my wife I need something for the bike, she brings up what I spent on mine. She knows it down to the penny, so obviously there is some resentment on her part. I love my bike, all the time, But, it is only after a nice ride that my wife remember that, she too, loves the bike. And, if you had not noticed, touring bikes are the wave of the future. I am 35, got my bike a year and a half ago, but there are a lot of others out there even younger than you. Heck, one kid is 18, and built his own. How cool is that?? Geezer glide is a term that is often used, but when your OL bring it up again, show her the picture of PhilM doing a wheelie on his RG. That should point her in the direction of the light we, non geezer, geezer glide owners are at. IMO.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,.... I am 36 and I have owned a Dyna before and a few sport bikes and various metrics and if you plan on doing some serious riding then the Ultra is the only way to go. I havethe103" stage II with Rinehart Ture Duals onmine and it definately dont sound or run like a geezer glide now,.....LOL My wife is comfortable and happy and that makes for a very enjoyable ride. I have some friends who own an American Ironhorse chopper and it looks really cool, and it always turns heads when we go on rides, BUT,.... they get sore first and dont do very long rides. Its all in what bike will fit your needs and budget. Personally,.... I will be one of the few that will say that if you can afford a new bike then get a new bike first. I have found that for the most part a good condition used bike is almost as expensive as a base model new one because almost every used bike has already had a ton of assessories added. My suggestion would be just save and put a big down payment down on it.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 AM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they shouldlook ataStreet Glide and get some of both worlds. Can always add a tourpak down the road.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:20 AM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careful-it's a dangerous bike. She'll be so comfy on it, she's liable to fall asleep on a long ride. Ask me how I know! [8D]

Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 AM
t_m34
Tourer

Don't let these guys fool you, she's right, they are calledgeezer glides for a reason. But try and get her to sit on the back of a Softtail or a Dyna for a couple of days of traveling and she'll be begging for the old mans bike!

ORIGINAL: TomIa

New to the forum, so hello everyone. I do not own a Harley (hope this doesn't get me kicked of the forum ). Like most of you I've been riding motorcycles since before and after I got my license. Dirt bikes etc, first street bike was a honda CB200T, then came a couple yamaha maxims, a 1000 virago, and finally my suzuki 1500 Intruder(harley clone, harleywanna-be) I have now. Well of course a harley has always been the bike I've always wanted but never thought they were in my league. I've been looking at them seriously now for awhile and really like the ultra classics. I know their called geezer glides but i love the full dressers and the long haul comfort of them. My wife says these are for grandpas, but like i told her i couldn't really care less what someone else thinks about what i ride as long as I'm happy (I told her!....plus i did own a CB200T ). Anyway I still need to test drive one for sure to see if i like, sat on at the dealer and its awesome! And I still need to talk myself into a new 21000 dollar bike. I'm 29 and can't help but feel a little selfish if i do pull the trigger on one. I know its different for every situation, but has the bike been worth it to anybody that has gone ahead, said screw it, and bought one? Sorry for the paragraph................thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

rent one for the day. you'll love it. you can mod/hot rod it if ya want. had a young dude pull up next me at biketoberfest last weekend, said "sweet! thats my next ride. whats on the stereo??" LOL

Quick Reply: Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!