Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!

ORIGINAL: TomIa
My wife says these are for grandpas, but like i told her i couldn't really care less what someone else thinks about what i ride as long as I'm happy (I told her!....plus i did own a CB200T ).
Not knowing your individual situation, I would say in general you will be much happier if you spend the time to involve your wife in the process and get her on board before you go ahead with a major purchase like this.

And maybe that means buying a bike she likes for riding 2up on. Or maybe that means not buying a harley at all.

But maybe if you back off of the full on ultra classic and show her some of the pictures of really great looking street glides, road glides, and road kings on the picture threads on this forum, that you will be able to make a convert out of her.

Take her to the dealer and let her sit on bikes. Take a test ride with her.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
acedantinne
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam, your to young! Give that bike to me. Right now Son.
just kidding enjoy.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:51 PM
FireRescueFL
Tourer

I just turned 28 and I love the Geezer Glides. I've had Jap bikes, choppers (last one was an American Ironhorse), and a V-Rod. After spending some time on the touring line, they're all I will even consider now. I'm dying for a new Street Glide but I'm still having a hard time giving up the V-rod. Plus, I know if I buy one now, HD will release a Screamin Eagle version for 2009.

Screw what everyone thinks about you. After all, you can just ride away from them when their backs are all killing them after a few hours.

---Chris

Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
XfasteddieX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im 31 & love my 05 geazer glide i traded my o1 heritage 100 hp 100 tq thats the only problem i have short onpower needs 20 more lbs of tq but i wouldnt trade backi gave 10kfor my 05 e glide

Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Punisher
Cruiser

I'm 38, and have had an 77 FLH, 94 Wide Glide, 96 Road King. I have an 07 V Rod that I rode for about a year, toured on it for about 9000 miles. I got the bug to buy an Ultra. Bought my 08 UG on Sept 11, and the Vrod hasnt seen daylight since.I absolutely love to ride my Ultra. The V is a good bike, but since I dont race, or go to bike night, or the bar, it's kinda like a race horse that doesnt get to run. I dont regret the Ultra one bit. Great advice from the others above. Rent a dyna or softtail and take her on a 400 miler. Then the next weekend rent an Ultra. It'll be a done deal for the both of you.

Woody

Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
dabuckman
Advanced

I bought my 1st Harley a few months ago, an Ultra, and my wife loves it as much as I do. I'm 41 and owned a Honda Shadow and still own a Road Star Silverado. The comfort, long haul or short scoot can't be beat. I also thought my Roadie was well balanced and easy to maneuver until I drove the Ultra. Now, the few times I've hopped back on the Roadie it feels like a tank compared to the Ultra.

My better half does nothing but rave about the Ultra. She loves the comfort, music, ride, everything. If you think about how much you've spent on bikes so far, buying the Ultra now and keeping it for 10+ years or life, the money ain't so bad; especially if you can find a deal on a good used one. I went for new and didn't get the greatest deal, but wouldn't trade it.....even considering getting rid of my cage now.

And if the Ultra doesn't fit your better half's taste, get her into a riding course if she doesn't ride already and let her pick her own out to ride alongside instead of behind.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
thatguy
Tourer

One of the main reasons so many old guys own Harleys... is cause we ( I am 54) couldn't afford one when we were your age....if youcan afford aREAL motorcycle - go for it.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

Careful-it's a dangerous bike. She'll be so comfy on it, she's liable to fall asleep on a long ride. Ask me how I know! [8D]
Hey, mine did that. Felt her helmet touch mine and about 5 miles later, felt her jerk when she woke up.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 AM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Unome

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

Careful-it's a dangerous bike. She'll be so comfy on it, she's liable to fall asleep on a long ride. Ask me how I know! [8D]
Hey, mine did that. Felt her helmet touch mine and about 5 miles later, felt her jerk when she woke up.
I see a few posts in here where the ladies fall asleep on them. Funny-it feels like a sleeping pill to me on the rare occassion I ride with RaftGyde any more. Almost immediately I start to feel it when I get on. The heat coming up, motion, him so close, wind, vibration, music/w the sound of the pipes. Hmmm. Okay-let's call it an aphrodisiac/sleeping pill! When he first traded in the Wide Glide, I also had the geezer glide mentality and said I felt like I was in a baby's car seat and not on a bike.I didn't know I was going to sleep like a baby on it. But then we did the 1000 mile ride from VA-FL. I was one happier than hellgeezer!! Major attitude adjustment!

Like everyone, we meet lots of people on the road, and not too long ago was a couple barely in their 20's on a RK-notsure she was that old.We both told them we were surprised to see it. They were putting on the kind of miles that "most" of us only do at a much older age and having the time of their lives. So wise at such a young age. . .with way more resources$ than most at such a young age. [&:] Either very smart or very lucky. Maybe both!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM
jakester
Tourer

HEY GUYS IF THE WIFE IS FALLING ASLEEP ON YOUR BIKE TRY LETTING HER GET SOME SLEEP AT NIGHT!!!!!!! LET HER ENJOY BOTH RIDES!!!!!!
NIGHT RIDE AND DAY RIDE...JUST MY 2CENTS HAPPY TRAILS JAKESTER......

Quick Reply: Wife thinks its an old mans bike!!!!