Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got bit by the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 AM
ms3300
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got bit by the Dragon

Just finished a run on the Dragon's tail in Deals Gap. Wouldn't you know it, I made the run just fine, but afterwards decided to ride around and see the sights. Went down Santeetlah Road which eventually turned into a gravel road...trying to turn around my foot slipped and down she went. My 06 Road King was onher left side. Struggled to right her and began an inspection. Only thing noticeable was I lost the reflector off the left side saddle bag guard rail..not bad. Anyway, as I was riding away, I noticed my handle bars were bent (UUgghhh, had a 500 mile ride back to Central Florida to do), I guess as I was straining to keep her upright, the bars bent, they never touched the ground. Anyway, I want to install bars that are a little higher and maybe closer to me..I am 6'1" with long arms, since i gotta replace the bars want something more comfortable but still looks cool..any suggestions? Thanx. P. S. Dont wanna mess with the cables and lines, just a factory replacement bar.

Mark

Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior
Default RE: Got bit by the Dragon

That sux bro. I dropped a friends bike in my driveway trying to move it. My drive is gravel and my foot slipped. Fortunately the damage was only about 200$.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 AM
ms3300
Road Captain

What did you replace the factory bars with? I like the looks of apes and do a lot of cruising, but i wanna do it myself without having to change cables and lines...any suggestions?

Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

You sure the bars are bent? Or are they turned a little to one side? If so, just push to the side they need to move to, and when you get to the stops the bar supports should move a little in the rubber mounts. On my Road KingI put the old style Dyna bars, but others like the Heritage bars. Both work with stock cables.

Good Luck...

Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 AM
meanbite
Road Warrior

I didn't have to change the bars. they didn't get bent. The 200$ was for signals and pegs that got scratched. I can't help much with ideas for bars as I don't know your riding style buta buddy of mine with the same bike has beach bars and loves them. Personally I am a mini ape or drag bar man.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: ms3300

Just finished a run on the Dragon's tail in Deals Gap. Wouldn't you know it, I made the run just fine, but afterwards decided to ride around and see the sights. Went down Santeetlah Road which eventually turned into a gravel road...trying to turn around my foot slipped and down she went.
I'm just waiting for this to happen to me, and I know it's coming, probably on a busy highway at a traffic light. I'll be struggling to right the SG in the middle of the road while 100 irate commuters wait impatiently behind me. It's the stuff of nightmares. On numerous occasions I've put my foot down in some loose gravel, a wet lane divider strip, or some other slick surface and had my foot slip, only to grip at the last minute. Too bad about your handlebars, but this'll give you an excuse to put the new ones on that you wanted to begin with.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: iclick

...had my foot slip, only to grip at the last minute.
Wow, I guess time really does seem to slow down in a traumatic situation! I never seem to get that much time to react. For me it always seems to be measured in nanoseconds under similar conditions. Hahaha!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Mark, glad you weren't hurt. I almost took a fall on the Dragon, too. I went too hot into a corner and ran off the road momentarily. A friend standing at roadside caught the whole scene on camera. Quite embarrassing.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a slight different note to this subject....is there a good, better, or best way to pick up a bike when it goes down like this? I know even a Dyna is extremely heavy to pick when just trying to muscle it up by the handlebars. I've seen rider training for Goldwingers that used a method of putting your back to the bike, grabing a roll-bar in each hand and then walking backwards until it up....even saw a little 100 pound lady pick one up, but don't know if a harley has good solid points to grab hold of....I know my Dyna didn't. How do you pick up and Ultra or SG?? Mine hasn't gone down (yet), but it sure feels like a heavy monster.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent dropped the RK, but I did drop the fatboy, coming to a stop, left foot down, hit gravel and over I went. I currentlty have Wild 1 Chubby RK Bars, Part # WO508. You can use your stock controls, cables, brake line and wiring. They are 1 1/4" thick, don't have the wheel barrow feel to them and look great.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13911/45C31698774F484E8BE3CCDDFF70081C.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Got bit by the Dragon