Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got bit by the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM
vettedog72
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got bit by the Dragon

Going up that way Saturday for a week. I am unually respectful of gravel and hope I don't drop it. Glad to hear you got no personal bumps, cuts etc.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:13 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

I actually dropped the RKC today for the first time. Stopped to buy gas ... put the kickstand down ... leaned her over ... the kickstand folded up underneath her ... and at that point there was not a damn thing I could do about it ... down she went. Picked it up with the handlebars, but next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time) I'm going to try walking it up like the video. That's gotta be a helluva lot easier.

Anyways, to answer your question, many RK owners switch their bars to something more comfortable. I switched to the chrome HD Heritage bars, which were easy to install and can be done without changing the cables. By the way, you're gonna need new grips ... and if you want to do the job right ... you might as well install chrome hand levers, switch housings and brake reservoir at the same time.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ndotken

I actually dropped the RKC today for the first time. Stopped to buy gas ... put the kickstand down ... leaned her over ... the kickstand folded up underneath her ... and at that point there was not a damn thing I could do about it ... down she went.
A buddy of mine did the same thing...and got pinned between the bike and the gas pump. Damn, I wish I could have been there to see it!

I dumped the RG last week. I guess I was looking for traffic to my left when I pulled up to the stop sign and still had the front brake applied. Ath this intersection, youare coming up a hill,making a right hand curve and then there is the stop sign.There is a pretty good angle to the roadway right at the intersection. Normally, I release the front brake right before the intersection but apparently, not this time. It was like slow motion.....I was completely stopped, but could not stop the bike from going over.

Idid havetwo different cagers stop to help me pick the bike up, which was a good thing. I had just filled the bike up and there was gas everywhere. There was no way I could get good enought footing to pick the biek up.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 PM
dbianco
Cruiser

I have a RKC with beach bars. It's laid back look to me is pretty cool.

Also, one of my fears has always been dropping the bike. I overcame this fear by intentionally putting the bike down to see if I could get it up by myself. First laid down some scrap carpet, then some extra towels for padding where the bike would rest on the engine and bag guards. Me and a buddy laid her down real gentally and then I picked her up using the same method as in the you tube video. I was amazed how easy it was to get the bike back upright. Also, when I took my MSF class one of the instructors was in his 70's(maybe 5'10" and 170)and he had a brand new Goldwing, I don't know how much they weigh but it's gotta be close to a thousand pounds if not more and he demostrated the same technique to us in class. He was able to right the bike without a problem. I would recommend to anyone that's never picked one up, give it a try, better to practice in a controlled environment then sitting at a stop light with cagers behind you getting impatient.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 AM
AustinRider
Cruiser

so they say everyone has either dropped their bike or will eventually and I believe it. Since this is the touring area we're all riding big, heavy road bikes. MyRG is 780 or so without me on it and Utras run 840.

the you tube flick is a good method - it works. Here's another link for those who can't view the you tube for some reason http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/late...d=5&mid=32

They taught us this method in the rider's edge class I took at the dealership and it was worth the price of the class just to get this info. One thing though - if she goes down on the right BE SURE to put the kickstand down first. I've never dropped mine on the left. The first time I dropped her I forgot the stand. Fortunately a friendly lady pulled up to help me. She put the stand down while I stood there on the right side of the bike feeling stupid. Try to mount your bike from the right side. Try it on a bicycle... or a horse... you can't. Don't matter if you're a southpaw.

Gravel can be a real bitch... is a real bitch.

So can narrow sliding glass doors that your bike fits through with just a few inches of clearance on each side. I was backing mine out one night and wastoo far to the left. There was a big shrub and trash cans on that side. Somehow I lost her and she went down on the right with the front tire just in the doorway. But the tire was too far left and I couldn't right her. I didn't forget the stand but I still couldn't pick her all the way up because of the door. I picked her up four or five times! Each time I had to put her back down. I finally had to leaver her laying there until my daughter got home. Icould get her up to about eighty degrees, then my daughter grabbed the front fender and lifted and scooted to herright just an inch or so and that was all it took. I had her up. But what an ordeal.

No real damage except a minor faring scratch that will touch up but the next day was I sore!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:51 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 18" apes, and love them. But, you have to buy a lot more than bars to accomplish this. Are you certain the bars aren't just tweaked? Anyways, on the subject of droppin' the bike. I have only done it once, in the garage. I was so pissed at myself that I just grabbed it with both hands and popped it up. No technique used. But, the correct way to do it is just like you said. Back to the bike, grab engine guard or handlebars with forward hand, and find a strong lifting spot for the rear hand. Use your legs, and it should be easy enough.