Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king Tour-Pak on FLHT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:05 AM
Drew
|
Tourer
Default Road king Tour-Pak on FLHT?

I now realize that I should've bought an Ultra, but I have an '07 EG Standard that needs a tour pak. The ones on ebay are pricey for having scuffs, etc. (if you can find one in Fire Red Pearl), and even with a Zanotti or Chicago HD discount are some money. I've seen the Chinese VIP trunks on ebay, and don't care for their looks, although the price is attractive.

Has anyone put a leather tour pak from a Road King on their FLHT?

The RKC paks are smaller, granted, but they are available everywhere for less money, and use the same detechable mount as the fiberglass paks. I just wonder about the looks.

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:22 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Road king Tour-Pak on FLHT?

If I'm correct, the earlier year SE Ultras had a leather Tour-Pak stock and they don't look bad. They appear smaller than the plastic Tour-Pak so maybe they are the same as the RKC pak.

Old 10-23-2007 | 11:24 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Throw a set of Saddlebag Lid Covers and it will look GREAT.....
I went with a King TourPak (used) and by the time I got it painted - replaced all the latches & lock I could have bought a new Leather TourPak for less money...

Old 10-23-2007 | 12:31 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I love the look of the leather tourpack. Considered covering all my bags in leather.

Old 10-23-2007 | 03:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

FWIW: Take a deep breath, put the $400 or so you'd spend on the RK box in a coffee can/under the mattress, etc., and buy the Fire Red Pearl King TP when you have a few hundred more $$$. If you think now you should have bought an Ultra, you will be thinking you should have bought the King TP after you buy the RK box.

As for the looks of the RK leather on an EG Standard, on a black bike it'd be fine, even neat--on a Fire Red Pearl EG it will look odd to my eye and I'd be chasing leather saddlebags or leather covers, a fairing bra, etc. to add the leather look. When I was done I might like what I had created or, more likely, I'd realize I'd have been better off waiting and buying the fire red pearl King TP. Just my .02.

Old 10-23-2007 | 03:52 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior

I agree with pingman go with the paint matched one for your bike. I have been going thru the same thing for the past few months myself. I bought one off ebay and by the time I would have paid to have it painted and all the hardware I was looking at the cost of a new one from Chicago HD. I sold the ebay one and ordered one from CHD. I owe about $14K on my bike and if I add the TP ($900) and the radio ($500) I am still well below $2500 less than the price for a new Classic. I don't care for the lowers and the other items on the Ultra so a classic would be great for me. So, I am just making mine into a Standard Classic. If you look at the TP from Harley and see if your color was available in 05 (same color just no pinstripes) you can save yourself $40 more. $560 from CHD isn't bad for a bran spanking new TP. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!! Bryan

Old 10-23-2007 | 07:36 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

FWIW: Take a deep breath, put the $400 or so you'd spend on the RK box in a coffee can/under the mattress, etc., and buy the Fire Red Pearl King TP when you have a few hundred more $$$. If you think now you should have bought an Ultra, you will be thinking you should have bought the King TP after you buy the RK box.

As for the looks of the RK leather on an EG Standard, on a black bike it'd be fine, even neat--on a Fire Red Pearl EG it will look odd to my eye and I'd be chasing leather saddlebags or leather covers, a fairing bra, etc. to add the leather look. When I was done I might like what I had created or, more likely, I'd realize I'd have been better off waiting and buying the fire red pearl King TP. Just my .02.
ORIGINAL: HarleyArcher

I agree with pingman go with the paint matched one for your bike. I have been going thru the same thing for the past few months myself. I bought one off ebay and by the time I would have paid to have it painted and all the hardware I was looking at the cost of a new one from Chicago HD. I sold the ebay one and ordered one from CHD. I owe about $14K on my bike and if I add the TP ($900) and the radio ($500) I am still well below $2500 less than the price for a new Classic. I don't care for the lowers and the other items on the Ultra so a classic would be great for me. So, I am just making mine into a Standard Classic. If you look at the TP from Harley and see if your color was available in 05 (same color just no pinstripes) you can save yourself $40 more. $560 from CHD isn't bad for a bran spanking new TP. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!! Bryan
This is the way that I did it. And I agree with both.

Do it right an you won't be disappointed!

When you have had someone do some crappy painting for you you will know what your bike means to you to have it done right the first time.

I've got the King Tour Pack and love it. It was factory color matched all hardware, light bar, with antenna mounts and key matched for just under $700... from my dealer a couple years ago. (also had holes for speakers, that I'd mounted DragonFly speaker pods.)

Old 10-24-2007 | 12:49 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Take your time and shop. I looked for a while and met a guy on this forum who sold me a brand new King Tour pak with backrest and chrome luggage rack for $600. I had it painted for about $100. total investment $700 plus a tank of gas to get it and it is what I wanted. Instead of wondering what it will look like I agree to save a little and look around. I used a eBay El Cheapo pak until I had money for the real deal and then sold it for what I paid for it!

Old 10-24-2007 | 05:01 AM
Drew
|
Tourer

Thanks for all of the solid advice, fellas. I'm going to wait and get exactly what I want. I really don't need the tour pak until my next trip (Daytona or Sturgis).

I was tracking a pak from an Ultra, in my color, last night on eBay. With no lock and scratches, it went for over $500. [sm=forgetit.gif]

A new one from Chicago HD is ony a couple hundred more than that, and a new FLHT king pak is $599!

Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2007 | 05:26 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

Leather isn't lockable, it is smaller, and you'll always wish you bought the one you orignally wanted. Watch EBAY and the HD forums, Craigslist etc.Thereare some out there but ask questions and take your time. I have a leather one with the detachable rack that I wanted (I have a RKC) for about $200-250 less than new, and I missed a few cheaper ones.