Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Comments

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet Comments

Be aware that on many fairinged and windshielded bikes, full face and modular helmets are very uncomfortable because of the updraft from the dead air space created behind the shield. On my Wideglide, I used to wear a Nolan modular and liked it alot. On my Roadglide, the updraft shakes it around and my head like a potato in a coffee can. No problem with a shieldless half or open faced helmet..

EZ

Old 10-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 307 Likes on 199 Posts

ORIGINAL: Seth

what's a modular helmet?
I know you're jerking my chain, but

This is the Nolan N-102......

Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Harley Stan
Tourer

I have VOX I bought off of Ebay. I do like the flip down built in sun visor, it takes awyay the need to wear sunglasses inside of the helmet.The chin pads are a bit tight and cause my jaw to hurt after a few hours. I would recomend trying on a helmet before buying on-line.I must disclose this is my first full face helmet so take my2 centswith a grain of salt.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 PM
krgs2k
Cruiser

I have the HD Stealth Flame FF Black modular. I have been using it for about a year now with no problems.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I ride a UC and have the HJC Symax. A very good helmet. i tried on several (Summit, Nolan, Vista) but the HJC fits my head the best. Try it on before you buy, some just don't fit!!!! Additionally, if you have a intercom, look at the ease of mounting the speakers and mic.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 PM
0204665J
Tourer

E2rider,

You are right about the full face helmets on some of the fairing shielded bikes. The updraft really really is bad and shakes my helmet on my Street Glide. I use plugs for the noise. I hate to go to something else because I like the chin potection I get. I wish there were some other alternatives and still get the chin protection I desire....

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Silverbeard
Intermediate

So far here in the Rocky state of Colorado, helments are not required....noticed I said so far. I do wear a fullfaced lid, just not all the time. And noI am not climbing on a debat about helment usage. Still consider that a personal issue of "let those ride decide."

Be that as it is, fullface helments of todays market are better then the ones Bell first came out with. The two HD lids I have are fullfaced and installed with communications. Sure makes hearing others a lot easier. Okay, so much for my two cents.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

I have a HJC CL/Max. It's a flip up like the Symax.
I think HJC makes helmets for Harley, I don't know if they make all of them. Anyway, I liked my CL Max until I cut down the windshield ( by 1 1/4") of my Road King. Now it makes too much noise. I'm back to my 3/4 helmet and wrap around saftey glasses. I got some bifocal ones so I can see my gps now, but that is for another thread.
When I ride without the windshield, I prefer the CL Max
I'm still looking for the perfect helmet.( I have 5)
www.webbikeworld.com has reviewed dozens of helmets (like maybe more than 70). They are a great resorce.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 PM
motorjon68
Intermediate

I'd guess the HD modular helmet is an HJC Symax. They make their other stuff. I too have noticed the buffeting while wearing a full-face helmet.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same helmet, i don't know who makes it but it is a high quality helmet. I bought a modular helmet off of EBay --- the bottom part came off on a march of dimes charity ride --- I tried to pick it up before it hit the ground---long story short I dropped the bike in front of hundreds of people --- don't know what I was more embarrassed about the helmet or dropping the bike --- my club brother are not going to let me live it down. After this incident went directly to the dealer and purchased a HD modular helmet.

ORIGINAL: krgs2k

I have the HD Stealth Flame FF Black modular. I have been using it for about a year now with no problems.

Quick Reply: Helmet Comments