Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What now? Fuel Pak or ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:38 AM
jpmflying
|
Cruiser
Default What now? Fuel Pak or ???

Just put on V&H slip ons and SE breather on my 08 UC. The dealer says I can get it mapped without adding a fuel pak or PCIII. I'm not interested in doing additional motor work. Any suggestions?

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:46 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: What now? Fuel Pak or ???

I went with sert(bought online) and dyno(2 runs). total was 400+140. Before the bashing begins,Its my money so there.

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:50 AM
dagnabit9
Cruiser

You're going to have to do something (sooner than later) for fuel management since you put on the SE breather. I went with the FuelPak myself, but there are other systems on the market and also things available from the dealer. Some people here have slammed the FuelPak and went with the PCIII, personally I have had no problems whatsoever with my FuelPak and would recommend it to anyone.

Old 10-22-2007 | 08:56 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser

You have to do some type of fuel management. You have opened up the intake and exhaust to beathe better, but you have made an already lean condition worse. You have to get more fuel!!!!!

Personallt, I would reinstall the orginal A/C to choke down the air flow until you get something to rich things up.

Just my opinion!!

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:23 AM
jomedic702
Advanced

When I upgraded exhaust on my 07, the dealer did the "download" and said I didn't need any other fuel management unless I opened up the air flow. Now, if he'd have told me I didn't need to do anything else with the air flow opened up, I would have left it alone then too. They're the warranty kings. I don't know what they have available for downoads for fuel management on the 08's, maybe he's right.
Good luck.

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:39 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Dealer download is designed for harley se pro seris muffs and se air cleaner, it will not adjust as well for the free flowing vand h, its going to need a SERT or fuel pak if ones out yet. SERT is really the best way IMO.

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:42 AM
jomedic702
Advanced

Well, that answers that. Thanks Gunrunner!

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:52 AM
RWP
Cruiser

Just picked mine up Saturday, I went stage 1 and rush slip on’s with the flash and am not getting any back pop. Pipes have a little carbon in them and plugs look pretty good. So for 450 miles later seems to be good.
On my street Bob I went with the power commander but have a little more work on the motor done all so.
RWP

Old 10-22-2007 | 09:54 AM
jpmflying
|
Cruiser

I'll get pricing on my options. From the comments I will get one or the other. Thanks

Old 10-22-2007 | 10:22 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm seeing this way too much: "it's already lean and by making it breathe easier you're making it leaner yet."

On the face of it, the statement is true. But that would only really be the result when you have an open-loop-only EFI (or carb) setup. With our current Delphi EFI system using the O2 sensors, it will not be too lean in the closed-loop area of operation if you don't exceed the adaptive fuel range of adjustment, which is 5 times the range of what the O2 sensors can report.

It's not necessarily a good thing to rely on just that, however, because you really want the adaptive fuel range to be centered, leaving room to go either way if necessary due to changing atmospheric or fuel quality conditions.

The dealer download mainly sets different values in the ECU VE tables, and this serves to keep the adaptive fuel routines within the middle of their operating range.

When the SE airbox is installed but different mufflers than the download is for, it'll still be much closer to correct than just putting those mufflers on with the stock airbox and no download. And that's something that gets done successfully all the time, so I wouldn't hesitate to go the download route if that's all the modification you ever planned to do.

SERT is the best alternative right now for the '08s, but it's imperative that the bike get stuck on a dyno with good gas sniffers so the the VE tables can be accurately populated unless you're going with specific components (of the proper revision) for which there is a starting point provided with the software.

I guess my point is that by and large it'd be safer to just say "it's already lean and you're going to make it leaner" but it's not necessarily a correct statement.

Quick Reply: What now? Fuel Pak or ???