Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hangers on a StreetGlide

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ape Hangers on a StreetGlide

Was thinking of switching out the bars to some mini apes , I am not worried about the cables but does H-D or aftermarket sell extensions for the cruise control and the wiring ? It would make it a lot easier if they made plug and play extensions.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:51 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look at this. http://www.kenandjudy.us/Harley%20Pi...Bars/index.htm Might give you an idea what you are in for. I have 18" apes on my rk custom, and went with +10 cables and lines. +8 should be good for yours. There are after market companies that make wiring for extending the stock wiring, but I do not know if cruise controls wires are in them. Check on ebay, I have seen them there. Also jp cycles. They are not plug and play, you will have to either solder them, or crimp them (solder being the perferred method). I can be billed as a 4-5 hour job, if you get it done. In the winter, most shops run some kind of special. I paid $800 to have mine done, and I would say it was worth it. At the time I didn't feel comfortable enough taking on the task. I sure wish I had that money back, I would be doing it myself. I have had to take them back apart, a bit, to reposition them, and I now know I could have handled the job.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:14 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pre Wired Bars is a lot of extra $$$$ and it really isn't that hard of a job to do it right.... It does take time - a Cold 12 Pak of beer - and a week-end to get to know your putt - "THE BOOK" and a bunch of wire...
When you're done you'll sit back and say.... "NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE"...
As far as 16" ape's on a Fairing bike... It's yours - do what ya want... The only person you have to please is YOU!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 AM
dobber709
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always have to be a smart%&* in the forums to screw up a thread.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses

Its fairly str8 fwd. U don't hafta be a wrench or nutting to do it. Wif a little patience this is doable DIY gig. Not only will u save urself mucho dinero, u'll apprecaite dem monkey bars dat much more

Cables are the easy part...depending on what size u roll wif. If ur buying em for the FLHX from a reputable source, they'll know what size ur need for ur entire set-up. 8+ should work fine. As for the handelbar extentions.......J&P cycles sells the novello wiring harness extensions in 8" & 12" kits. Just be sure and get the right set-up for ur bike. Meaing dey come with/w/o radio controls, cruise, cb, etc. Some peeps recommend the single clamp riser top...I wudn't. It interferes with the fairing. If anything, just firm up ur dampers or bushings.

Get em up & in da wind~

Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cwilks

ORIGINAL: Blueslover

Changing the bars to something taller is a PITA, but with patience, no problems. With 16's on a batwing, you are definitely going to change how the bike handles, and your arms in the air are going to change the dynamics of the air flow enough to perhaps cause a high speed wobble. The batwing is like pushing a piece of plywood down the road anyway. No comments about the looks, but IMO, it will adversely effect your handling.
Are you speaking from experience or ASSUMING these things will happen....refer to first post about COMMENTS.....this is your last warning [:@]
I know a few people who have put 16" bars on different bikes...Dynas, RK's...nobody who's done it on a SG. It all depends on your riding style...if you cruise around, go for it...but, if you push the bike through twisties, or run at high speeds, you are reducing your leverage point with the bars, definitely changing the air flow dynamics, and it CAN cause handling problems. I have not personally ridden a batwing with 16" Apes though, so take it for what it's worth. The handling characteristics of the FLH platform leaves a lot to be desired in the first place, unless you make some significant mods to the suspension components. Again, it depends on how you use the bike...

I have the Wild 1 Chubby 575's on an Ultra....up a couple of inches and back a couple as well, depending on how you angle the bars.Plus, they are 1 1/4" bars, but 1" where the controls mount and the attachment to the risers. I have several friends who have installed these bars, and all of them are very happy with the change.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: G$

Its fairly str8 fwd. U don't hafta be a wrench or nutting to do it. Wif a little patience this is doable DIY gig. Not only will u save urself mucho dinero, u'll apprecaite dem monkey bars dat much more

Cables are the easy part...depending on what size u roll wif. If ur buying em for the FLHX from a reputable source, they'll know what size ur need for ur entire set-up. 8+ should work fine. As for the handelbar extentions.......J&P cycles sells the novello wiring harness extensions in 8" & 12" kits. Just be sure and get the right set-up for ur bike. Meaing dey come with/w/o radio controls, cruise, cb, etc. Some peeps recommend the single clamp riser top...I wudn't. It interferes with the fairing. If anything, just firm up ur dampers or bushings.

Get em up & in da wind~

I'm on it G...thanks for the info and it won't be long before its "pits up"

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Wildbill66
Stage II

My first post.
I put on some 16" burly apes on my new 07 Road King this summer. I bought 6" over on all cables "Magnums". They worked great. I dont know if they are routed any different on the street glide but you can call the cable manufactuers and ask them. I ordered the 8" Novello extention kit with cruise. You can get on the web site and order the kit for the year and make and they will send you color coordinated wires to match the stock bike. My problem occurred when I put on the extentions. They came with crimp type ends which went together quick. Problem was, all the crimps were in the same spot and I had a hard time getting them to fit inside the 1 1/4" bars. I ended up pulling to hard and some crimps came undone. I ended up sodering the wires together. If I was to do it again, I would order the extention kit without the crimped ends and would order the longest kit possible. This way I could have different lengths on some wires so all the soder joints would not be in the same place causing a buldge where I put the shrink wrap. This was not as difficult as I thought and completed it on Sat and Sunday. I had a few beers and a couple of friends there helping me and telling me what I should have done. Hope this wasnt too confusing.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:48 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WildBill66: Nice 1st post. Informative with some good advice. Look forward to future posts. Got pics?

Ride safe,

Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 PM
PumpnRide
5th Gear

I put wild chubby apes on my road king last winter-great project. I needed extra length on on cables and went with barnett. With the 1 1/4 chubbys you can run wiring inside-looks clean. You don't have to get wiring extension harnesses, just use your own wire and stagger the splices, solder and shrink tube. Oh yeah, when you split the plastic that covers the existing wire dont remove all the way at ends. You will be able to rewrap with same plastic then wrap with electrical tape.I am no expert and was proud of job. Just take your time and have fun.

Quick Reply: Ape Hangers on a StreetGlide