Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Bearings...FAILED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cam Bearings...FAILED!!!!

I think you should feel lucky they even paid for anything.... What would you have done if they asked for service records from all the services dated back to when it was new??? Being that you said you change your own oil they could have voided the whole problem from the start. Yeah that's BS but it could of happend , and you could of fought it and probably won but I bet your Bike would still be sitting in the shop. If it was me I'd forget about it and write it off. OH yeah like someone ells said you will need to change your oil again in the next 500-1000 miles........

Old 10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Default RE: Cam Bearings...FAILED!

ORIGINAL: glens

(actually all bearings are supposed to ride in a thin film of oil

The outer bearings on the 96" TC are plain but the inner ones still have rolling elements.
Yes, however at least with bearings, you just replace them. Now, the components themselves will have to be replaced. Think about it. Cheaper for them to manufacture, much more expensive for the owners.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

When the cam bearings failed in my 1999 model.......sounded like a can a marbles were being shaken. The check engine light came on first, then the noise began with no rythm.....when I was able to stop, it was really grinding away. Those problems were suppose to be taken care of in 2000/2001, however they still are occuring.

When that disaster occured......the cam bearings destroyed the oil pump and lifters. The inner tensioner was almost shot....not related to the cam bearing failure though. Much everything else was still ok.....but I still went through the entire motor in search of metal shavings. All this happened at around 25,000 miles.....

Harley said this motor was improved over the EVO and was suppose to be a 100,000 mile motor. They claimed they field tested this motor extensively......

If the Twin Cam was so reliable and supposedly much more improved over all previous Harley engines.....then why have I seen and even owned a few EVO's with over 100,000 miles with just minimum maintenance?

For me at least......I find the Twin Cam to be a very powerful engine of very weak design. Those two items certainly don't go together.

I know alot here have good results and have done great mods to their Twin Cams to hopefully prevent nasty disasters from occuring. But, for an engine that started its life in 1992 and started full scale production in 1999....there shouldn't be ANY problems relating to the engine.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Beemervet

Yes, however at least with bearings, you just replace them. Now, the components themselves will have to be replaced. Think about it. Cheaper for them to manufacture, much more expensive for the owners.
More expense to the owners come replacement time I'd agree with giving not much thought at all to the prospect. However it being cheaper to make might not actually be the case. There are higher tolerances and finer machining required to form a plain bearing than to form a shaft and a pocket which both interface with a separate bearing. I'm sure they made the change for reasons more to do with sound reduction than saving costs. Maybe they had to reduce sound in the crankcase so they'd still be under the overall noise limits using their new 6-speed box, hahaha! (seriously, I don't have a problem with the noises my tranny does make)

Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

04 Roadking wrote:
"I think you should feel lucky they even paid for anything.... What would you have done if they asked for service records from all the services dated back to when it was new??? Being that you said you change your own oil they could have voided the whole problem from the start. Yeah that's BS but it could of happend , and you could of fought it and probably won but I bet your Bike would still be sitting in the shop. If it was me I'd forget about it and write it off. OH yeah like someone ells said you will need to change your oil again in the next 500-1000 miles........ "

I keep records and receipts for ALL my maintenance on ALL my vehicles; plus the dealship keeps records of my purchases of oil and filters in their database.

As far as the oil change the first 500 - 1000 miles, that's already been done...got rid of that metal fragmented POS oil after the first 200 miles...