Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RKC Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RKC Fairing

ORIGINAL: stevepacman

I saw a few Quadzilla fairings when I was at Biketoberfest and was very impressed. The sound quality was outstanding. I have a RKC and am trying to decide which brand to get. I like Dead Center's fairing, but it only has 2 speakers. Hoppe Design's Quadzilla looks so good Icouldn't tell if the fairing was stock/ factory without walking around to console side.
I think the Quadzilla is the best looking one out now. The large speakers on the Deadcenter look too large and out of place to me. I liked the old Dragonfly design with the round speakers but did not like the fiberglass bracket instead of metal. Now they have metal brackets but the 6x9 oval speakers look odd to me.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not a single issue with DeadCenterCycle fairing.

It lockes too!

Old 12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

Has anyone tried the Wide Open Custom fairing, just wondering about quality and price comparison with the dead center fairings?
Just received mine a few days ago and havetest fitted it. The quality seems good, looks nice andits about half the price. Also if you have a RK CUSTOM it will clear the Chrome wind defector so you don't need to change out the head lamp and handle bar cover assemblies. The only notable difference is its made of ABS plastic instead of fiberglass.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the Wide open custom for several reasons.

#1 ABS plastic is lighter, and takes paint better than fiberglass, and also requires less prep which equates to less $$ when bidding out the paint.
#2unit halves are sealed together
#3 how easy it mounts and removes yet looks like it is factory

Thanks for this thread!......I just found my next mod.....I'll order it and get it painted along with my hard police bags.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought a dead center fairing and sent it back...they charged 20% restock fee and $60.00 shipping. It cost me $27.00 to send it back via the same shipper and a couple hundred for the restock charge, so they overcharged me for the freight too - and I returned it in perfect condition. The 2 pieces of fiberglass had a really poor fit when put together and looked like it would take too much work to get a clean finish like I was looking for. Second, the fiberglass brackets were not good and I thought that whenever you removed the fairing, you would put undue wear on the bracket and the paint wouldn't hold. Apparently they have metal brackets now so that is an improvement, but my experience with them was less than stellar.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, the dead center looks ok from the front. but if you eyeball it from the side, you can't help but notice the poorly fitting seams.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I decided on the DCC faring, full paint , radio, aux power,one minor defect in the paint, fit betweeen the halves is excellent. The paint match is dead on. I will get the faringflamed and will fix the defect at that time. the radio kicks butt. DCC offered to take the fairing back and fix it paying shipping both ways its easier to do when I get the flames done.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:46 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Guilty

I bought a dead center fairing and sent it back...they charged 20% restock fee and $60.00 shipping. It cost me $27.00 to send it back via the same shipper and a couple hundred for the restock charge, so they overcharged me for the freight too - and I returned it in perfect condition. The 2 pieces of fiberglass had a really poor fit when put together and looked like it would take too much work to get a clean finish like I was looking for. Second, the fiberglass brackets were not good and I thought that whenever you removed the fairing, you would put undue wear on the bracket and the paint wouldn't hold. Apparently they have metal brackets now so that is an improvement, but my experience with them was less than stellar.
Ya took a hit on that one. Funny thing is, I am the same way. I bought a set of mirrors that once mounted, really didn't do it for me. The chrome wasn't the greatest, either. I sent them back, and had to pay their 15% restock fee. I probally could have just sold them to someone else, but with the quality of the chrome, I would not have felt good about it, so I took the hit.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:50 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

ORIGINAL: masterblaster

Has anyone tried the Wide Open Custom fairing, just wondering about quality and price comparison with the dead center fairings?
Just received mine a few days ago and havetest fitted it. The quality seems good, looks nice andits about half the price. Also if you have a RK CUSTOM it will clear the Chrome wind defector so you don't need to change out the head lamp and handle bar cover assemblies. The only notable difference is its made of ABS plastic instead of fiberglass.
That's interesting. when I saw their ad, I sent them an email about it. They sent me back an email and said that it would not work with the chrome deflector. Hmmm. Once you get it mounted, can you post up, or send me, some pics of it with the deflector on it. Also, a couple of other pics from the side, the rear, and the angle of how the bars would sit. I am trying to figure if I can set it up to work with the apes I have on my bike. I am thinking no, since that is what they told me, but since you say it works with the chrome deflector, and they said it would not, maybe I can get it to work with my apes. I would appreciate it.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

That's interesting. when I saw their ad, I sent them an email about it. They sent me back an email and said that it would not work with the chrome deflector. Hmmm. Once you get it mounted, can you post up, or send me, some pics of it with the deflector on it. Also, a couple of other pics from the side, the rear, and the angle of how the bars would sit. I am trying to figure if I can set it up to work with the apes I have on my bike.
When I called Ben he was not 100% sure it would fit, but thought it would be close.I don't think he spends a lot of time on the netso its best to call.Anyways here's some pics with 14" Apes

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2557137/m...tm.htm#2557492

Quick Reply: RKC Fairing