Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped a UC today

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dropped a UC today

There are those who never get it and those that are long in the tooth(sorry old farts) who just cant do it anymore and need a lighter bike. My brother in law has a new UC and hates it cause its too heavey for him now. After 6 bypasses he has shrunk up a little and now he is lookin to downsize. Some may consider the same.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's like Jerry says in the video (the front brake will pull you down to the ground like a magnet) I do not use the front brake at low speeds until I am stopped. I weigh 145 and I can't hold up 850 lbs. so I make sure I am looking ahead of the bike when I stop not down at the ground otherwise that is where I will end up.
But that loose sand can still get you at the stop sign though that is why I do not wear tennis shoes when I ride either.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I realize you were just doing demo rides (which dealership by the way?)....but the ride like a pro video is great for any size bike. And if you have a place to do the exercices, it can make you feel much more confident on even the smallest bike. And it is something you must practice. I had a friend new to riding and we did the exercises every few weeks for a while. I could feel my slow speed skills improve. When you don't do the slow speed stuff, you can feel the skills get a bit dull.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Dale Franks
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I have the Ride Like a Pro Video. I got it a few weeks after I bought my Sporty.

So, in this case I was using the clutch/throttle/rear brake combo. I was just afraid to actually pull the turn as hard as I needed to.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just afraid to actually pull the turn as hard as I needed to.
Dale,

That is common among the folks who take the Ride Like A Pro course. They way to work around that is to turn your head. I tell the riders to put their "chin on shoulder" and leave it there untilthey have finished the turn. Most riders are hesitant to do so, and only give a furtive glance. That is not enough.They need to turn your head and eyes and look wherethey want to go. I tell them that if theyturn their head out, even for a second, the bike will wander out.

I don't know if you ever come up to LA, but if you do, drop by the range and check out the course.
Visitors are always welcome.

Mark

Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM
jpmflying
Cruiser

I had a rented 07 EG drop on me in a parking lot when my foot slipped on some gravel with my wife on the back. Being vertically challenged (28" inseam), her 110 lbs and a full tourpak, the best I could do was to ease it over to the highway bar. No damage or marks other than my pride. There is no worse feeling cause you know unless youare gonna turn green and become the incredible hulk it's going over.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Hi Dale,

Ok the truth is now being spoken. I bought an 07 UC after not riding a bike for 30-35 years. I was very intimidate by it.
The first time I dropped it was with my wife at a T intersections. Pulled the front brake and down we went. Bought the video ride like a pro and got all excited agin. Went to Florida and took the class fom Jerry. He told me I wasn't leaning enough. I dropped it in his class but I kept on going. I came back to Indiana and bought a bunch of cones and went to the high school parking lot and practiced.

I have become so much better at slow speed riding it is unbelieveable. I am not afraid of U turns any more. I don't like them but I am not afraid of them. I would not let the fact that you dropped it 1 time in a U turn stop you from buying the Ultra. There are many more reasons to buy it that outway not buying it. Get the video or go to a class but practice practice practice. It will do wonders for your confidence and i promise you will become a great and safer rider.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Billiam92407
Tourer

Yep... It happens. Most of it is confidence. Knowing what you want to do... and knowing you can do it. Time on the bike changes everything.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

The Ultra is pretty top heavy and requires practice to master slow speed manuvers. I've hadan Ultra, a Classic,and I now have a RK and you are right the RK is easier to flick around. No big deal just takes practice.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Get the video "Ride Like a Pro IV". It will teach you everythign you need to know about riding a big bike slow.

Bill
Best advice so far.

RLAP will teach you to use the "friction zone", or, the use of the clutch/rear brake/ rpms to maintain control.

The last thing you want to do is stick that foot out. You are not going to stop 800 pounds from going over. But the right amount of throttle and clutch will allow you to ride the bike out of almost anything.

Quick Reply: Dropped a UC today