Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped a UC today

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Dropped a UC today

ORIGINAL: mistermooster
I'm convinced that I used my front brake too much.
Using ANY amount of front brake in a U-Turn WILL cause you to go down.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Get the video "Ride Like a Pro IV". It will teach you everythign you need to know about riding a big bike slow.

Bill
One of things I do when talking to prospective students who want to take the Ride Like A Pro course is ask them if they have seen the dvd. Most of the time those that have seen it, understand the technique, and have practiced it, do rather well in class. The rest usually end up buying the dvd from me at the end of class.

Mark

Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The E-Glide is a helluva big bike - arguably about the biggest and heaviest in the m/c family of bikes I dare say. But you do get used to it after awhile.

I run my bike without the tourpack 90% of the time, but I do remember when I first got it and it was in full dress... WOW what a big bike! I'd gone from a 620 pound 1100 V-Star to the E-Glide and that's about 200 more pounds. The weight distribution isn't the same either, so it took some getting used to.

Now I can throw that Electra Glide around and manuever it like it's a part of me. It's just something that takes time.

Now therewere a coupletimes when I've nearly dropped it cuz of uneven ground when you put your feet down, etc. Once that thing starts to go over... EEEEK! I did manage to keep it from going all the way down once and I have no idea how I did it by myself thats for sure! When I got it upright the right side footboard had flexed upward on it's hinges if that gives you an idea how far over it was? hehe (I guess it was like one of those "Incredible Hulk" moments where I summoned superhuman strength to prevent my Baby from going to the ground? lol)

Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

For slow and tight maneuvers, use the rear brake and clutch. Dropped my EG in a parking lot making a tight right turn into a space. I'm convinced that I used my front brake too much.

Totally agree. Use the front brake, going slow with the wheels turned, is like getting slammed to the mat by a wrestler, especially with the weight of an UC. Even worse if you have a passenger. (Don't ask me how I know). Use of the throttle and rear brake is the secret.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

I had an 04 RK custom and my UC seems more agile then the RK. I can make tighter turns or maybe I am more used to it. Whatever stay off the front brake and drag the rear brake,

Old 10-21-2007, 10:11 AM
07roadie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keeping your head up and looking forward or in the direction you are headed is a huge part of keeping your balance/horizon correct.I have a close friend that is new to riding, at stop signs/lights etc, he gets the shakes, jerky on the bars etc. I couldnt figure out what he was doing till one day I was ahead of him, he came to a stop and was watching his front end, bars, wheel what ever he had his head down and not looking forward. He was loosing his horizon and part of his balance. I keep telling him now to keep his chin up and looking forward.

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

my take,,,, you prob'y a litle nervous,and intimadated,
you prob'y staring right in front of your front tire,concentrating way to much on that spot.
you have to train yourself, as you enter a say left hand U turn, imedeatley turn your head ,chin almost to your left shoulder,looking "through" your turn,gental on the gas,,, your bike will amazingly "follow you right around.
I tell everyone to practice this, all replys, how well this works,,, try it in a parkin lot

Old 10-21-2007, 10:17 AM
hawgwildterry
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use your rear brake in conjunction with feathering the clucth/throttle to keep power to the rear wheel. NEVER look straight down but continue to pick a spot where you want to end up after making your turn/u-turn.

Jerry "Motorman" Palladino produced a great video that my fellow LEO motor officer's use even though we have all gone through department training. It's a great refresher video and will give the every day rider some pointers.

Here is a link to his 'Ride Like A Pro' video: http://www.ridelikeapro.com/RLAP4.asp

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Get the video "Ride Like a Pro IV". It will teach you everythign you need to know about riding a big bike slow.

Bill
+1

Need to use rear brake and friction zone. all is taught on the video.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
PhoenixClassic
Cruiser

Probably just a little intimidation factor with the bigger bike. Just likeyour other scoot, it'll go where you look. That's easier to say than do when you're unfamiliar with a bike. One thing I've learned about mine is never try to stop it with the handlebars turned - it'll "fold up" on you and quickly pass the equilibrium point. I've also found that with the right amount of adrenalin, you can keep it from going over...LOL

Old 10-21-2007, 12:51 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

A few more rides and you will be fine just make sure you use their bike until you have it mastered!! You'll be fine!

Quick Reply: Dropped a UC today