Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sert and Dyno Before Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 AM
ajax519
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sert and Dyno Before Delivery

Im expecting my 08 SG to be delivered late next week. Im having a Stage 1/SERT done and the dealer will dyno tune it before I take delivery. It looks like everyone else is doing the dyno tune after the 1000k service. My question is this...will I be doing any harm to the bike by doing the dyno tune before there are any miles on the bike? Im not sure what they do for RPM, duration etc when the dyno is done. The dealer is a large and very reputable.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sert and Dyno Before Delivery

This is the best choice you could make.
When they dyno your bike, it will be running at max rpm for a short time - several times.
YOU WANT THIS TO HAPPEN!

Reason?
Read this.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

When you get it from them, ride it like you are going to ride it as if it was allready broken in.

Or...............
do it the way that the manual states.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:15 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

The owners manual calls for keeping it below 4000rpm first 500 miles. Doing a good Dyno requires going to the redline. (at least).

I'd wait till 1000 mile service. You should talk to them about it. You'll have other things you may want done then anyway.

(edited to reflect 4000.. thought it was 3000 but checked manual and it says 4K on page 130)

Old 10-20-2007, 08:47 AM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealerwill put in a basic map if the bike is new; it will runjust fineuntil you get to a 1000 miles when they will do the official dyno tune. At least thats how my dealer did it to mine , it worked fine except it got really bad gas milage for the first 1000 miles. After they dyno tuned mineit got 22 more HP and 19 LBSmore torque. I was happy with this process

Old 10-20-2007, 08:49 AM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not do it unless they are REALLY experienced at breaking in a bike on the dyno. The dyno is a good tool to break in a bike when it is done properly. If you are worried about it go pick up the bike and ride it first. You can, for the most part, get the rings to seat in an hours time. Just keep running it up to about 3000 rpms and then let the engine brake the speed back to about 2000 rpms. Keep repeating this. Dont use top gear. Keepvarying the speed. Dont be gentle but dont use WOT either.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:15 AM
rde
Road Captain

I just received my 2008 Road King. BeforeI drive awayslips ons, a SE air cleaner and a safe map off the SERT I purchased will be downloaded. My dealership is not charging me anything todownload the safe map.
At the 1000 mile service I'll then dyno the bike. They charge a flat fee of $250 to dyno.
I think this is the safest approach, but I realize there are different opinions. I know you can beak in a bike on a Dyno but it would scare me. I would just be sure you aren't screwing up your warranty if you don't followthe recommended break in for 500 miles.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:15 AM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would WAIT for the 1000 mi check up, I would not want to have the Dyno doing my Break in, I think you might have problems down the road.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Air cooled engine is an air cooled engine is an air cooled engine is an air cooled engine.
Here is also a good link for breaking in an air cooled aircraft engine.
http://www.tcmlink.com/visitors/carenfeed/brkin.pdf

This is something that I have witnessed. They run that puppy at full throttle for an hour, circling around the airport.

Next bike I get........if it's a new one, I'm gonna ride home from the dealer, just like I would ride it normally, put the front tire to the wall and do a 10 minute burnout.
It will be road ready then!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 AM
ajax519
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Im just off to finilize a couple of details and will be sure to ask some questions while Im there. It sounds like the smart play is to have them install the stage 1 stuff with a "safe" map and dyno it ater it if fully broken in.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM
jeeplite
Intermediate

If you want to break your engine in like an aircraft engine then you better be running chrome rings and have a mixture control to control the head temps!

Quick Reply: Sert and Dyno Before Delivery