Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running new Michelin tires Harley is selling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008 | 05:22 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anybody running new Michelin tires Harley is selling?

ORIGINAL: ywhat2000

Are the Michelins Radials? Are the Dunlops radials? I never looked.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Harley's don't use Radial tires, so the answer is No"
&nbsp\\;
How ever Michelin and Dunlop both make Radial
tires for all other motorcycle companies...
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008 | 10:06 AM
Sarg
Advanced

Unless you are a very experienced rider like Chuck and really know how to handle a bike, the Harder sidewall is the safer tire for the avarage rider. The first time you experience a High Speed Blowout on a soft sided tire you will learn what Pooping your pants is all about if you are able to keep the bike from going down or worse losing it and Crashing It. The Police Only Dunlops are very Hard Sided and a Bear to Mount, ask any Tech that has had to Mount then on the Police Motors. The result of the Stiff Sides or Hard Side is that you will not even notice a Blow Out until you slow down and attempt to turn and the Bike will feel sluggish and hard to turn. You will not go down and will in all probability be able to ride slowly to a safe spot or Gas Station. I have had many experience with High Speed Blow Out's on the Police Tires and never once realized what happened until I slowed down. The down side is the Harder the Sidewall the more Heat Buildup you have in the Tire. Thats why the Police Tire is not rated for 2 Up riding due to Heat Buildup. Just my two cents for whats its worth but for the avarage Motorcycle Rider the Harder Sided Tire, what ever brand will be the Safer Tire and most forgiving in the event of a Blowout. Of course if you want a Smother Ride or you want a tire for riding the Mountains in an aggressive manner that the Softer Sided Tire is for you, just be aware of the Trade Off.

Old 06-23-2008 | 11:22 AM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

211 Chuck
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbs p\\; Curious, reading the way you ride sounds aggessive and I was wondering if you use a rear swing arm stablizer? Like Ride-Stra8 or hard bushings? Thanks, Dave

Old 06-23-2008 | 11:25 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Sarg

Unless you are a very experienced rider like Chuck and really know how to handle a bike, the Harder sidewall is the safer tire for the avarage rider. The first time you experience a High Speed Blowout on a soft sided tire you will learn what Pooping your pants is all about if you are able to keep the bike from going down or worse losing it and Crashing It. The Police Only Dunlops are very Hard Sided and a Bear to Mount, ask any Tech that has had to Mount then on the Police Motors. The result of the Stiff Sides or Hard Side is that you will not even notice a Blow Out until you slow down and attempt to turn and the Bike will feel sluggish and hard to turn. You will not go down and will in all probability be able to ride slowly to a safe spot or Gas Station. I have had many experience with High Speed Blow Out's on the Police Tires and never once realized what happened until I slowed down. The down side is the Harder the Sidewall the more Heat Buildup you have in the Tire. Thats why the Police Tire is not rated for 2 Up riding due to Heat Buildup. Just my two cents for whats its worth but for the avarage Motorcycle Rider the Harder Sided Tire, what ever brand will be the Safer Tire and most forgiving in the event of a Blowout. Of course if you want a Smother Ride or you want a tire for riding the Mountains in an aggressive manner that the Softer Sided Tire is for you, just be aware of the Trade Off.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Two friends of mine are Motorcycle Cops in different
states. They both tell me they ride what they are
given, they are not allowed to choose which tires
they ride on, if they were it sure would not be on
Dunlops! They both have been riding their whole lives
and know better then to trust their lives to Dunlops.
They both use other brands on their street bikes.
&nbsp\\;
They can not choose their motorcycle,their tires or
their riding gear. They get no choice of anything they
use.. [&o]&nbsp\\;They learn to deal with what they have..
&nbsp\\;
As for soft side walls coming off the bead in a blow
out" most tires in a blow out will come of the bead
if conditions are right. Soft side wall tires seat as well
and hold as well as hard side wall tires in the right
conditions.
&nbsp\\;
Back in the 60's when motorcycle tires were JUNK"
I had flats or blow outs almost every week. MOST
tires did not come off the rim from the bead. Some
did" I rode as much as 100,000 miles a year back
then, so you might say I used alot of tires LOL" So
I had a ton of flats (more yhen I care to remember)
&nbsp\\;
A soft side wall is harder to handle in a blow out
even if it stays on the rim. (don't ask how I know)
&nbsp\\;
But I look at it this way, if you don't check your tires
and air pressures before every ride you deserve
what ever happens to you on a motorcycle. And if
you choose to ride on bald tires or thin tires you
deserve what ever happens to you.
&nbsp\\;
I say ride on what you like for tires and if you take
care of them they will take care of you! At least to
the best of their ability and yours they will.
&nbsp\\;
No one or nothing can&nbsp\\;fix stupid.......
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008 | 11:30 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

211 Chuck
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp \\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\ \\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Curious, reading the way you ride sounds aggessive and I was wondering if you use a rear swing arm stablizer? Like Ride-Stra8 or hard bushings? Thanks, Dave
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Dave\\;
&nbsp\\;
My Ultra is stock and wallows in corners when pushed
just like the old 70's Super Bikes I raced........ I love
riding it for the memories it brings back to me.
&nbsp\\;
if I need a stable feel on a ride I have a Wing and
other non Harley motorcycles to ride...
&nbsp\\;
I love my vibrating,wallowing Harley just the way
she is....
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008 | 02:25 PM
Sarg
Advanced

Im sorry Chuck you disagree, Yes all tires will come off of the Rim under the right conditions, but based on Statistics, and based on 44 years riding 16 of those professionally and countless Motorcycle Homicides Investigated, your tires are one of the most important things you need to pay attention to on you bike. Harley Davidson states that Dunlop and Mich are the recommended tires for there bikes. In the event of total failure due to Manfacturer Defect your Legal Recourse will be limited and Harley Davidson will be the first to testify in Court that those tires were never recommended for there product. Thus no liability and you get no Compensation. The Dunlop Police Tires are some of the best on the Market and the reason that Officers cannot choose there own tires is based solely on Liability. If that is the tire recommeded than that is what is the smartest bet in the event that Injury and Liability. Jacksonville Florida Police Tried Marathon tires and were disappointed with the increased Officer Motor Crashes that resulted and extremely poor handling on soft surfaces such as sand that they have alot of down there. To each his own but present facts not speculation, and what ever flips your switch maintain Air Pressure, and check for forien objects in your tire before every ride. For me im am going to follow what the Manufacturer recommends, and in the unfortunate event that I crash due to some manufacture defect Im going to make sure my family is well represented and taken care of.

Old 06-23-2008 | 03:18 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
We can agree to disagree no problem my friend.
&nbsp\\;
it's all good with me..
&nbsp\\;
Take care and ride SAFE"
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;