Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to hear from FLTCU owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I want to hear from FLTCU owners

I just bought a 1990 FLTCU. Bike looks & runs great with 80,000 miles. No leaks and engine pulls strong and shifts normal. Bought from second owner who put on 65K of the 80K. Claims to not have done any engine or trans work on the bike other than changing fluids.

#1. I don't see many FLTCU models out there regardless of year. Any reason why?

#2. The only difference I see from a FLTCU and an FLHTC is the dual headlight (FLTCU) and single on FLHTC. Is there anything else?

#3. I'd like to change the seat (sofa) and don't see any choices other than FLHTC thru Dennis Kirk or J&P. Is there any mounting difference here?

#4. The bike has a am/fm/weather channel radio and cassette player. Would like to swap tp CD. Is this possible and keep the handle bar controls?

#5. Should I look at anything real close here with this model/year/milage?

#6. Why do you love the FLTCU?

I also have a 98' FXD and the bike runs like a bear. I love the difference between these 2 bikes. Long live the EVO.

Free (internet) beer for honest responses.
TIA,
FIXER

Old 10-19-2007, 09:46 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: I want to hear from FLTCU owners

#1. They're getting old.
#2. none
#3. Any FLHTC seat will fit your FLTC, they are basically the same except that fairing. I have a Mustang on mine.
#4. Maybe Biketronics.......my FLTC didn't come with a radio.
#5. If it doesn't have any of the leak issues I'd say you're good to go.
#6. It rides much better than anything else I've tested, including my '05 Ultra.

Good luck with that great machine.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Lee n Tj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) See quite a few around here.
2) that's about it.
3) any seat flavor you want will have one to fit. (Corbin,Mustang,etc.
4) Biketronics.com has system to convert to CD player, but I understand you will likely lose use of the CB and/or intercom.
5) I believe the cylinder base gaskets have a tendency to start small leaks,fixable with now gaskets. Also due to age your intake and exhaust gaskets are probably dried out and leaking, causing bike to run lean, overflow check valve form gas tank can cause carb flooding, but not sure if you have one in that year.
6) Bought my 93 ultra limited anniv. edition, a little rework on engine, sold Wing, won't go back, rides much better and looks 1000% better. Also, you can buy 2 evo dresser's and a sporster for price of new HD or Wing.
7) Get a lot more responces on EVO page with questions/issues.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Asuperglide
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Anymore voices out there??

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm bringing back a three year old thread because I'm looking at one of these and would like to see some more responses.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 PM
gfdgary
Novice
Red face 1993 FLTCU 35K Orig miles

I'm the second owner of bike. She runs great, doesn't leak or give any problems. Due to rheumatoid arthritis I sold my 2007 FLHTC (96" motor, 6 speed) but after a couple of years of no riding I couldn't stand it anymore and bought the 80 inch 93 FLTCU. I had it converted to a solid axle trike so I can ride again and not worry about coming to a stop and trying to hold her up. My only concern is cruising on the Interstate - the RPMs get kinda high for the 75-80mph rides. My '07 would cruise all day at 80-85 mph and the RPMs were around the 3K range with the 6 speed tranny. The 5 speed 80 inch EVO handles the 70-75 mph just fine and pulls nicely going from 70 to 80+ beautifully for the short burst. I just don't like having the engine running at 3500 rpm for the long rides. Maybe I just don't know or have the experience/knowledge of the EVO engine.

I do like the shark nose fairing over the fork mounted batwing fairing. There's a lot less weight over the front end with the shark fairing.

Attached Thumbnails  I want to hear from FLTCU owners-2010-05-26-1280-800.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM
ole57
Stage II
Default 1987 fltc

I bought this a few months ago and I love it. It has a bat wing fairing on it and I'm happy with it . This bike is an absolute cruiser and so easy to handle (I'm 5'8) with a very comfortable mustang seat . I also ride an 88 fxrs lowrider . Two different bikes , same engine . Love evos