Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Profile Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 02:27 PM
HDRKC06
|
6th Gear
Default Low Profile Seat

I have an 06 RK Custom and I am a little vertically challanged 5'4". I have talked to my dealer and they recomend not to lower the bike but rather to find a low profile seat, since the bike has already been lowered at the factory and there is no real safe way to lower it any further. I just wanted to see some of your opinions on which seats are going to fit my needs. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2005 | 03:26 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Low Profile Seat

you are not going to be able to go much lower than a stock RKC seat and have any foam left. how about a HD Reach seat, that may be your best bet.

Old 12-13-2005 | 10:00 PM
Randcoll
Intermediate

The Reach Seat by Harley lowers the seat an 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch. Very comfortable. Around $250.

Old 12-13-2005 | 10:02 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Lower the bike,,,, it helps,,, not sure why your HD is saying No... I ride two up all the time and I lowered my FLHTCI both front and back... If you live close to Corbin,,, do their ride in appoitment and have a seat custom made to YOU>..

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:44 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

I also am 5'4" (maybe 5'5" if I stretch before measuring -and I also have an RK Custom, so I know exactly what you're going through. Your dealer is correct when they say you really cannot lower it anymore. Harley0711 who said he lowered his FLHTCI, I don't think realizes just how low the RK customs are in the rear. The RK customs come stock with a rear shock that is 1 inch shorter than the other RK's and the rest of the touring bikes. You could lower the front one inch, but really can't do anything to the rear. Even those Solow kits people seem to like somuch will have you bottoming out on a RK Custom on hard bumps and if you ride two up. I have toyed with the idea of lowering the front end one inch with Progressive fork springs (my HD dealer says this is a mod he has seen on RK customs before, and that it doesnt affect handling significantly). I have also thought about getting a legend air suspension kit with air compressor so I can lower the rear just 1/2 an inch.

But I can tell you that to date I have had no real problems sitting flat footed since I invested in a Mustang solo saddle and a good pair of Harley riding boots (which have a thick sole and heel). I can am even more stable with two up beacuse the additional weight of my girlfriend lowers the bike even more for my short legs. If you should make any modifications to you bike please post them.
~Matt

Old 12-14-2005 | 12:17 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

I stand corrected - and I learned something today < So,,, Look at the Redwing boots... I am 5' 6" and the boots really help. Being able to ride to the Corbin factory and have my seat built along with the boots and lowering (yours is done from the factory) I am flat footed - However, being flat footed and being 6' 3" and having those legs is a different story. Being short, we have to learn to Really watch the ground (I am Not saying to Stare at the ground) Just we have to be aware of the surface - we don't have the extra leg length to hold the bike - you that are short know exactly what I am talking about here.... Enjoy your RK, The balance on the bikes make them very easy to ride

Old 12-14-2005 | 12:18 PM
Bibleman
Cruiser

I know two guys in our HOG chapter that use the Reach Seat. They both swear by them.

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:40 PM
HDRKC06
|
6th Gear

Thanks for the input everyone I have recently purchased a pair of Harley riding boots and they helped alot. but could use another inch or so. Well i still want to try to get a seat. while doing more research online i came across a few low profile seats but when calling the company they said it fits all RKs except for FLHRS . But I did find one seat that does fit the FLHRS the Mustang DayTripper anyone know if this is a good brand of seat? anyone put this on their bike? comfortable? Thanks.

And for Matt8643 only mods i have done are:

V&H BigShots Duals
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner Kit
SE Race Tuner with Dyno

Old 12-15-2005 | 12:37 AM
swb
Cruiser

Email Mustang and ask them if that seat will lower you any - some of their seats will actually raise you vs the stock seat. I have a 2005 FLHRCI and lowered the front end, put a lowering kit on the rear with the short HD shocks. I had to take the short shocks off and put the stock ones back on because I would bottom out regularly. Not sure if the tire or the belt was rubbing, but something was and I wasn't really loaded down. What helped me was to get Corbin to narrow the nose on a duel touring seat and wear boots with a thick sole. I am 5' 8" with thick thighs.

Old 12-15-2005 | 07:20 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

I tried the HD Reach seat on my 2006 E G Classic and it did what it was supposed to do, that is lower you 1.5" and move you forward 1.5" but I found the seat very uncomfortable. In order to give you the 1.5" of adjustment you give up much needed foam padding and in my case, (according to my wife) its because I have a boney ***!!! Suffice to say the seat was on and off in under 24 hours. I went out and bought a pair of Chippewa Logger boots and they helped out alot. Jim

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/6CE2306574B2490D88AFCAFBD299C04E.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/5403D3BA6A39413D8906FE5502A8D907.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Low Profile Seat