Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the better setup? PC III, Race Tuner? Which pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
DaThrasher
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the better setup? PC III, Race Tuner? Which pipes?

Greetings all.
Newer Forum member here and I have and age old question and am looking for opinions and some advice.

I have an 02 Heritage ST and recently purchased and 07 Ultra FLHTCUI.
The Ultra is stock.
I am wondering what is a DECENT setup for the ULTRA making her breathe a bit better without compromising rideability and my checkbook.

I have come up with the following on my own:

EXHAUST:
I am looking at either RINEHART True Duals or the New (yet to be released) Vance & Hines True Duals BLACK. MY ultra is BLACK. I would also like to be able to hear my radio when riding.

INTAKE:
A stage 1 is a must for the intake, do I go HD or go with the NESS Sucker? Opinions, thoughts?

And last, what type of ECM spanker? The HD Race Tuner or a Power commander or the V&H Fuel Pack?

I dont need a drag bike here, but the Ultra is wayy too quiet in its current state and runs TOO DAMNED HOT.

Any and all answers and thoughts are always appreciated.

Love the forum, thanks to all for all the great ideas and info.

Thanks , Ride 4ever.

Thrasher

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Whats the better setup? PC III, Race Tuner? Which pipes?

Welcome DaThrasher. It all depends how deep your pockets are. I'm pretty happy with my setup. You can see what I'm running in my Sig.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Search Function works well

Good reading and a great source for answers to your questions

YRMV

Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best setup IMO would be the SERT and whatever exhaust setup you choose. The PCIII is a good unit but it causes a 3-6 second delay when starting a late 06 or all 07 models. This can not be changed so you just have to live with it, to me is was annoying . The SERT can be used to tune any setup you choose by a good harley dyno tuner. Some have gone to the T-Max but it replaces your factory ecm and to me Im not interested in doing this.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If a hundred people respond to your question you will likely get 100 different answers. I will be picking up my 08 Ultra today, but have spent weeks if not months researching the same issue. I have finally made up my mind and will be going with the following at my 1000 mile service. The Screamin Eagle intake, mostly because nothing else is available for the 08s (would have preferred a K&N). Screamin Eagle Race Tuner, because its no additional hardware to add to the bike and the Tmax is just too expensive for the few modes I'll be doing. And finally the Vance & Hines oval slip-ons, mostly because I like their quality and sound is good, but not excessively loud. I will NOT be going with true duals because I want a performance boost, and duals may look better and sound better, but don't perform better.

Just one of what will likely be many opinions.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Windup08

(would have preferred a K&N).
You can replace the SE air cleaner element when it gets dirty with a K&N, it costs 49.00 and available at the hd dealer.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

The best setup IMO would be the SERT and whatever exhaust setup you choose. The PCIII is a good unit but it causes a 3-6 second delay when starting a late 06 or all 07 models. This can not be changed so you just have to live with it, to me is was annoying . The SERT can be used to tune any setup you choose by a good harley dyno tuner. Some have gone to the T-Max but it replaces your factory ecm and to me Im not interested in doing this.
Now Gunrunner you know you can beat that delay you speak of. Just don't let the light go out.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FLHT

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Now Gunrunner you know you can beat that delay you speak of. Just don't let the light go out.
Yes you can start the bike before the ECM & fuel pump complete the system check. This is said to cause no problems but who really knows long term. It does not change the fact that the PCIII is wired wrong due to dynojets incompetance to change the wiring after Harley redesigned the fuel pump circuit in mid to late 06 even though they are very well aware of the problem.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been pleased with the SERT. I did have some pinging, but a little tweak on the dyno, and Its runs good. Check out the Rineharts if your looking at duals.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM
DaThrasher
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any run in with hte new BUB "7"?
I have heard decent things.

Quick Reply: Whats the better setup? PC III, Race Tuner? Which pipes?