Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and Heads on a 96"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts
Default RE: Cams and Heads on a 96"

TX - I have a cgreat ompression calculator spreadsheet I can e-mail you. PM or send me an e-mail with you actual e-mail address. No way to attach an excel file through the forum e-mail. I put in your numbers and it looks like 10.15:1 cold compression. The corrected compression (figuring in the cam specs) is the number you need to be concerned with. The calculator I have doesn't include the cams you are considering, but you could probably match it up to something on the sheet pretty close.

Let me know if you want it. Or anyone else is welcome to it also.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TEST

Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggzed
One thing you might want to consider is carefully checking the squish on your motor. I have read reports of pistons being quite a ways down the hole on '07's.
The "down in the hole" scenario on the 07's is a result of the fact that the rods on the 07's are .009" shorter that those of the Jims S/E 4.375" stroke crank. Doug, @ HQ, had some pistons made espically for the 07's that "resolve" this issue. If you're considering a build on your 07, you may wanna check into the pistons...

Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

TX - I have a cgreat ompression calculator spreadsheet I can e-mail you. PM or send me an e-mail with you actual e-mail address. No way to attach an excel file through the forum e-mail.
The way to do it is to change the .xls filename extension to .txt, or simply add .txt to the filename as is. Then the site software will allow you to upload it, and the server will serve it quite nicely. Once fetched from the server, merely change the filename to have the .xls name extension again.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
TX_RG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I bit the bullet and picked up a Zipper's ThunderMax from my shop yesterday. I will have it installed today.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
fiddlefadel
Advanced

Big Boyz's web site has a easy to use calculator.
http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/showthread.php?t=118

I'm looking at doing the same thing ,with the HQ 500 or Woods TW6-6. I keep hearing mixed opinions on the cam noise with the TW6-6. Also I think it would need more compression, however on the Harley tech talk forum there are a couple of 96" TW6-6 builds that look very good.

Dave

Old 10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

My 95" with SE Heads at (as measured 72cc) and Flat Tops is 10-1CR with SE gaskets. I installed the Wood TW6 and put the D&D Fatcat back on and it's at the tuner as we speak. I don't know what I'll be getting, but I will say the bike pulls hard and feels very strong. In about one hour I'll be riding it after a Sabin tune.

06 Street Glide EFI
95" Big Bore
SE Flat Top Pistons
SE Twin Pro Performance Heads
Wood TW 6 Cams
D&D Fatcat 2-1
10-1 CR

The Wood cams are noisier than the old SE 203's, and about as noisy as my old Wood TW 5G cams. There is some valve train noise and ticking that I didn't have before. It's kind of relative actually. I asked my tuner today what he thought and he said he thought the cams were quiet. I thinnk after riding with the 203's ,which are so quiet, anything would sound a bit loud. I will say I LOVE how they pull, and as mentioned I will know in a couple of hours what I've got.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step #1 Head Volume (HV)

Convert Volume from Cubic Centimeters (cc) to Cubic Inches (ci).

________ cc / 16.39 = ________ (ci)

(cc from burette)

Step #2Cylinder Volume (CV)

CV=________ X ________ X ________ X (.7854)
(Bore) (Bore) (Stroke)

Step #3Compression Ratio (CR)

(CV + HV ) / HV = CR

____________div ____________ = _______________
(Cylinder Vol) (Head Vol) (CV+HV) Total

_____________ div ___________ =_______________
(CV + HV) Total Head Vol)(Compression Ratio)

Compression Ratio: _______________________

Compression Ratio calculated with a piston to head clearenceof
(Headgasket thickness):

Old 10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
TX_RG
Cruiser

I did the calc's wrong at first (forgot the stroke difference) with the '08 SE MCR heads & .030 cometic gasket I will be right at 10.5:1. If I had gone with the '06 SE Pro heads with the 72cc chamber, I would be closer to 11:1 (to high for what I wanted)

I just have to make up my mind on going with the Woods TW-7H cam or the Head-Quarters TC-575-HC.

When I replace my tires, I will change out the front pulley to the Andrews 30T and the rear to a '06 70T rear. That will give me a 3.15 rearend and then I just need to go find some stumps to pull!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Hey Scott - What drive belt are you going to run with the new pulleys?

Quick Reply: Cams and Heads on a 96"