Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Air Shocks

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a better set of air shocks for a Road King that are reasonbly priced. I want a shock that works betterthan Harleys stock shockand Idon't want an onboard compresser, I have no problem using my hand pump. I just don't want to spend a $1000 on a stupid set of shocks.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Air Shocks

Progressive makes air shocks for HD's, don't know if they are better or not though........

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For about $500 you could get some Progressive 440 IAS shocks. They come with springs but can be adjusted without tools and about as quickly as it takes to change pressure in the air shocks. As for air shocks you could try Legend Air, or Progressive. Progressive uses the 440 IAS valving in the air shock and simply replaces the spring with an air ride. They have two air chambers, one for ride height and one for load. very nice package.

I run the 440 IAS with springs and am very happy with the performance. Just about everybody I ride with that has a touring model runs Progressive 440's. And we all run Alloy Art TXR stabilizers as well.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
fatbob
Tourer

I noticed that when I bounced up and down on the seat, the rear shocks seem sooo stiff and barely move. I had about 14 lbs. in them. I brought the pressure down to about 5 lbs. to see if there was any difference, it just lowered the bike. The shocks still barely move with 0 or 20 lbs. in them, is the air just for ride height?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
kdietz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progressive 416's....air adjustable, but much better ride than the stock shocks IMHO....

Old 10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of AFTERMARKET AIR SHOCKS if ya want to spend $1000.00+

Check out Progressive Shocks... Ditch the Air and get a better over-all ride... http://www.progressivesuspension.com/

Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

another vote to ditch the air and go with 440's. i have standard springs on my RG and run 1 turn from full stiff which works for me both fully loaded 2 up and solo.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

everyone has there opinion..... a shock is supposed to give you dampen and rebound, a springs only job is to give you your ride height.... if you have air doing it all, something is going to be sacrificed.... im not a fan of air shocks at all.... progressive 440's are ok but i think there valving is off, ... im currently searching for a good, buildable, adjustable, coilover shock that actually works how they are supposed to....in the mean time i will stick with the 440's untill i find a better solution...

Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

As stated by this member above, Air is the worst way to make a shock.

If you have; build method #1, pressurizing the cylinder (Shock Body) of an emulsified shock (stock Harley where air and oil mix), you create “Stiction[/i]” as well as foaming. Stiction is where the seals stick (form of friction) to the sides of the shock prohibited the shock from easily sliding up and down. Foaming is the state of oil and air mixing like a milk shake does causing bubbles.

Build method #: Using an airbag between the shock absorber. This method causes a loss of handling stability due to no parts being directly connected to the suspension.

Coil over is the best solution to keeping your wheel planted to the ground for the purposes of control. That is why the fastest and most maneuverable vehicles in the world use this method. With proper adjustment hardware built into this type of shock, the ride can be set so the vehicle does not move, just the suspension. Look at those cars and motorcycles that race in the desert for an extreme example.

For every day use this aforementioned testing developed the technology to build suspension that has the ability to keep the wheel on the ground while transitioning the change in surface. The vehicle and passenger do not move thus marrying safety and comfort. What that means to you, good handling & comfort.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/B8EA4B94324448D880FC7BEF51495782.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

And the ability to do this (110 lbs tongue weight with starter & compresser) + passanger

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/A6EF3DDDF5CB4393BE1E8DF9AF5703DA.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Air Shocks