Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

255s or other cam in a 103ci?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 PM
DaKingMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 kit/255 cams

I just got the Stage 2 103 kit installed on my 2010 Ultra Classic. Dont have many miles on it yet but I can tell that it pulls real strong in those RPM ranges. I did get the 255 cams.I only have about 100 miles on it but will report more as I add miles.

DaKingMan

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
DaKingMan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say that I although I have the SERT it has not been dynoed. Once the engine is broken in I will have it done and should be even better than the canned program.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:00 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

when swapping out cams in my 08 streetglide i was surprised to find that the stock cams lobes are pressed onto the shafts rather than being a part of the cam shaft itself. i asked at the harley dealership if they've had shifting occur and they said they have seen several which have shifted. screamin eagle cams are one piece rather than having the lobes pressed on. i'm using the se 259E cams and am quite impressed. this cam set comes in the kit which is used for the tri glide and includes the different valve springs and works well with the 10.75 to 1 pistons, but in your case with the 9.6 compression ratio they'd be way too much with the .579" lift. study in the parts and accessories catalog the 103" kits and what cams come with them. that would give you a great guideline for your application.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
when swapping out cams in my 08 streetglide i was surprised to find that the stock cams lobes are pressed onto the shafts rather than being a part of the cam shaft itself. i asked at the harley dealership if they've had shifting occur and they said they have seen several which have shifted. screamin eagle cams are one piece rather than having the lobes pressed on. i'm using the se 259E cams and am quite impressed. this cam set comes in the kit which is used for the tri glide and includes the different valve springs and works well with the 10.75 to 1 pistons, but in your case with the 9.6 compression ratio they'd be way too much with the .579" lift. study in the parts and accessories catalog the 103" kits and what cams come with them. that would give you a great guideline for your application.

i have the same cams 259e and i love these cams plenty of pulling power great top end. cant say enough about these cams.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:28 AM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Andrews 21 cams and they have good bottom end.
From what I've seen, the 255 cams are about the same, maybe more on top.
To do it over, I might go with the SE204 cams.
Look at the "dyno numbers for baggers" sticky for the 204 cams.
The 204's seem to have good bottom end and keep going past midrange.
Maybe check out the Andrews 48 cams too.

Last edited by VibratingPotato; 07-24-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:22 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VibratingPotato
I got the Andrews 21 cams and they have good bottom end.
From what I've seen, the 255 cams are about the same, maybe more on top.
To do it over, I might go with the SE204 cams.
Look at the "dyno numbers for baggers" sticky for the 204 cams.
The 204's seem to have good bottom end and keep going past midrange.
Maybe check out the Andrews 48 cams too.
+1 on the 21 cams but they don't run out of steam like the 255 cams do,I had them in my 107 with the same pieces and at 3700 they started to go downhill.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess that the police 103 has the same cam as the Limited 103, and it is the standard 96 cam. My local shop has good results with the SE 255 cams and highly recommends them, says that power is right where you need it. They also say that if you are going to do cams, you should pull the heads off and have some head work done to get the full benefit. They need to breathe a little easier, or at least thats what I am told...

Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by olgreydog7
unless it came with 255's, you'll have to change your valve springs, those have pretty high lift, .550". the duration numbers seem weird, 211/235, so maybe that's wrong.
It's not wrong and you don't need to change valve springs or anything else. The SE255 is a true bolt-in cam set.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:54 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old.gezr
I would go with the Head Quarters bolt-in 500 cams. They will work with your stock springs and will give you what you are looking for. As fas as warranty issues, I would worry about SE parts more that Head Quarters parts. JMO!
+ 1. Lots of choices and only you can decide.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:59 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dxrich
I have the 207 police model electraglide. It comes standard with the 103ci motor. compression is 9:6 and a recall allows for compression release heads to be installed. Most HD techs in this area are telling me that it does not come with 255 cams but probably something much milder. I am doing a stage one with A/C and either Rinehart or Vance and Hines slip ons. I will add true duals later. I am leaning toward installing the 2555 cam. I do most of my riding between 2500 and 4000 rpm. So I don't need cams that come on at 5000 rpm. I won't be drag racing, but I like a kick in the range that I described. Will the 255 make me happy or should I look at something else. I should point out that I know there are better aftermarket cams such as woods, andrews, headquarters etc. I want to stay with HD cams because of warranty issues. SO what should I look at in HD cams???? all insight is appreciated.
Based on what you're describing the 255's would be an excellent choice, as they will bump the 2000-4500rpm range impressively. Your compression should be a good match for these cams, but some with 10:1 (Stage II) have complained about starting issues because of the cams' high CCP and find the need to add compression releases. With your setup I'm not sure if I would install them or not, but if you'll be re-using the stock pushrods I would just go ahead and pull one head (rear) and install one CR. That should cover you. If you plan on using adjustables I would just let it go, then add a CR later if needed.

You can find these cams on Ebay for about $150 as CVO pulls. DIY and you can do the upgrade for <$300.

Quick Reply: 255s or other cam in a 103ci?