Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007 | 07:31 PM
debay
|
Tourer
Default cam tensioners

I want to change out my cams to gear driven after my warranty ends June 08 . I now have 16,500 miles was wondering how you guys approached this, did youchange out right before the warranty expired. And did you use chain or gear driven .[:-]

Old 10-15-2007 | 07:46 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: cam tensioners

I've got 31,000 on my bike and checked the tensioners at 30k -- looked almost new. Figure I'll change them out next Spring or just keep riding another year if the look okay. I'm running Mobil 1 V-twin synthetic so maybe that helps -- not sure anyone really knows why some last a long time and some don't. Anyway, if they last 30k to 35k, not sure I'll even go with gears rather than just keep replacing them every three to four years.

Old 10-15-2007 | 07:56 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

IMO the is nothing wrong with these tensioners. Just more of the "the sky is fallin" crap from the whiners. Unless you are building a larger engine save your money. You may be opening up a Pandora's box due to crankshaft runout issues.
Routine service and maintenance will do it!

Old 10-16-2007 | 01:33 PM
Big Peter
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: debay

I want to change out my cams to gear driven after my warranty ends June 08 . I now have 16,500 miles was wondering how you guys approached this, did youchange out right before the warranty expired. And did you use chain or gear driven .[:-]
S&S 510 GEAR DRIVE cams Loose the chain and tensioners !!
Read this: www.stampedemrc.com/spark/tensioner.htm
and this: www.sscycle.com/modules/instruction/uploads/51-1047.pdf
My tensioners were worn out at 30K ! [:@]
The plastic stuff will kill your oilpump and engine.

Greetz,
Peter (Netherlands)

Old 10-16-2007 | 01:57 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

This is a good item to change under warranty; I changed mine out outside of awarranty with light wear at 20,000 miles, it cost a whole $ 170.00. The time for my gear-driven cams was about 6K later when I built the motor up to Stage III.

Old 10-16-2007 | 02:29 PM
Gutman
Road Master

ORIGINAL: johnny canuck

IMO the is nothing wrong with these tensioners. Just more of the "the sky is fallin" crap from the whiners. Unless you are building a larger engine save your money. You may be opening up a Pandora's box due to crankshaft runout issues.
We have changed out several tensioners, some broken as little as 30k inspection. If you have extended service it is covered. I have some customers that have broken at 30k, others with over 60k and stock tensioners. No consistency If you hear a strange noise don't put it off.

Old 10-16-2007 | 05:17 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Gutman

ORIGINAL: johnny canuck

We have changed out several tensioners, some broken as little as 30k inspection. If you have extended service it is covered. I have some customers that have broken at 30k, others with over 60k and stock tensioners. No consistency If you hear a strange noise don't put it off.
Don't wait until you hear a strange noise to check them. That's too late--the damage is done. Routine service and maintenance will not save you either. I drove my SuperGlide conservatively, used syn oil changed faithfully every 5K, and they were still toast at 30K. Luckily I caught it just in time.

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:10 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

The plastic tensioners may be one of HD's weakest areas, I'm afraid. The chains were used to help quiet the engine (chains are queiter than gears) - but, many have decided that gears are better and have gone that route. If you do decide to go the gear driven route, you will most likely hear the gears which bother some - however, not having to worry about the plastic tensioners make up for the added whine. Btw, going the gear drive route is not cheap. Unless you're planning to keep your bike for 4-5 years and drive it 8-10K per year, it may be a waste of $$. Just my 2cents.

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:11 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Heck fire, now I'm getting paranoid again! Guess I'll plan to change mine out in the next month when weather turns too bad to ride. Maybe I can find some of the aftermarket Titanium tensioners guaranteed for the life of . . . . .

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:16 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

The plastic tensioners may be one of HD's weakest areas, I'm afraid. The chains were used to help quiet the engine (chains are queiter than gears) - but, many have decided that gears are better and have gone that route. If you do decide to go the gear driven route, you will most likely hear the gears which bother some - however, not having to worry about the plastic tensioners make up for the added whine. Btw, going the gear drive route is not cheap. Unless you're planning to keep your bike for 4-5 years and drive it 8-10K per year, it may be a waste of $$. Just my 2cents.
So how much of a pain in the azz is it to change the tensioners? Not to the gear drive in but just to put new ones in?

Quick Reply: cam tensioners