Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:27 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: cam tensioners

It's quite easy - you'll have to go for adjustable pushrods, but, other than that added expense, I doubt if the tensioners are much. It would make a good Saturday project and you'd learn what the inside of the cam compartment looks like too - if you live close to Chambersburg PA, I'd be happy to help.

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

You'll have to drop the exhaust so you'll need exhaust gaskets, a cam cover gasket and the tensioners and some blue loctite to put it all together again. You can use some strong wire to hold the tensioners away from the chain and you can use a wrench to release the tensioners so you don't need to buy any special tools.

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:40 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

It's quite easy - you'll have to go for adjustable pushrods, but, other than that added expense, I doubt if the tensioners are much. It would make a good Saturday project and you'd learn what the inside of the cam compartment looks like too - if you live close to Chambersburg PA, I'd be happy to help.
Ted, I forget, when you replacedyour tensioners did you go with Andrews 26g gear set? Has this worked out well for you?

Jim

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:52 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

If you have extended service it is covered.
Is this covered as a maintenece item or do you have to wait until they fail?

Old 10-16-2007 | 06:54 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dawg

You'll have to drop the exhaust so you'll need exhaust gaskets, a cam cover gasket and the tensioners and some blue loctite to put it all together again. You can use some strong wire to hold the tensioners away from the chain and you can use a wrench to release the tensioners so you don't need to buy any special tools.
Dawg nailed it pretty well - I assume you'll use a service manual to get all the torques right.

Ted, I forget, when you replacedyour tensioners did you go with Andrews 26g gear set? Has this worked out well for you?
Yes, I went with the 26G - the current owner of the bike loves the torque as I did. I didn't see a lot of HP increase, it seemed to make the torque available at a lower RPM. Torque's what you "feel" anyway - I never ran the bike much over 4000 rpm's. The RK (which I sold in June) has won 2 first places - both best of show. The guy who bought it loves rubbing it in - LOL. I only wish I had room and "permission" to own 2 bikes - oh hell, wish I owned 5 bikes - ....

Old 10-16-2007 | 07:10 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

Well if I have to go to adjustable push rods mine as well send the heads to HQ and put their cam in. The wife would kill me. She already didn't appreciate the PCIII I just bought. AC and mufflers come after house taxes are paid. Hold on to your hat...