Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Windshield Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road Glide Windshield Questions

Hi fellow RG owners:

I have an 08 RG. When I get it up to 55+ mph I am getting enough wind buffering to get double vision. dropping my head down approx. 2-3 inches creates a better pocket of air stability.

I have read the threads on windshields and it looks like I will have to increase the stock height by at least 2 inches. After the increase I will still be able to see over the top of the windshield.

My questionsare this:
1. Since increasing the stock height will require a replacement, I will need a windshield of excellent optical quality since I will be looking down at the road through it for obstacle avoidance, etc. What is the best?

2. I want to be able to use"soft" lowers for cool days that secure over the highway bars. Will increasing the windshield height affect aerodynamics enough that I would have to change the windshield yet again?

I know there are several postings on the subject but none specific to my application. If I only had access to a wind tunnel lab....

Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Road Glide Windshield Questions

Clearview windshield co will take back a windshied if u try it and dont like the height.
Ive got one coming for my 07 RG .. 1" over stock.. Everyone is different .. so its tuff to say if 1" or 2 "'s is rite for u.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
seldyn1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem... I'm 6'0 tall and had the stock shield rattling my glasses. I put on the tall HD shield that it three inches taller (19 vs. 16) that stock. It does a good job with the wind buffeting but I am in between looking over and looking through. It did make a lot of difference, though, and should work.

Iadded the lowers and love them. Amazing how they add to the fairing to create a nice "pocket" of still air. Iwill add the vents sold by Hoppe Industries, which I added to my last RKC. They work great!

I will probably try the Clearview next... it sounds like a great shield.

John

Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
sd1209
Advanced

I had 3 HD windshields on my 03 RG and could never get the "right" fit for me......Either they were a bit too short or a bit too high.......On one, the optics were terrible (all 3 were HD factory shields, original plus 2 I bought).

I went to Rifle, a company that I have used in the past . Had them make me a custom to my specs, after I carefully measured exactly what I needed......I got it and it was not only perfect but optically perfect.....

The custom was only a few dollars more than their in stock models......In the future, if I need a new shield I will just measure carefully and order the custom...Cheaper in the long run..!!

My 2 cents worth......

Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CLEARVIEW - GREAT SHIELDS!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clearview makes a great shield and if you give them your height and inseam they will send the correct oversize for you. But note that the clearview is significantly wider than the stock shield and may not work with some handlebar setups. I put Wide Glide bars on my RG and had to pull them back toward me so that the mirrors don't knock into the side of the Clearview when I turned. Clearview asked me to send them pics and measurements regarding the problem (which I did) but I never heard whether they addressed it.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
coolmac
Tourer

When I was at Sturgis this year, Klock Werks had a new style Road Glide windscreen on display..
They had two different heights, 8" and 12".
These windscreens are not flat, they are very aerodynamic, that is more an airfoil.
These will be available this fall..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
uweldit
Road Captain

Wow! thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to look into these suggestions and post when I have installed the new setup.I appreciate all of the help.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 PM
dirtyduk
2nd Gear

Clearview, although I do have a little trouble with the euro bend at the top , (not good optics) I do like its good still pocket , no buffeting at all.
They say it can be ordered without the bend too.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Big Pa
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read all of the replies you've gotten so far, and I'll tell you what solved the same problem for me; Goggles with an adjustable strap. They are comfortable, (padded), & a whole lot cheaper than swapping windshields. Just my opinion.
Joe

Quick Reply: Road Glide Windshield Questions