Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves

This will be my first year that I will not put my bike in storage for the winter!!! So, I was wondering how cold your hands get even if you have the batwing fairing?? DO you need heated gloves, ect..?? Thanks

Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves

If it is cold outside hands will get cold. Heated gloves and heated grips will help a lot.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:30 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suspect the need is up to each individual person.

I would think it depends on how COLD, and how FAR. For example, 35 degrees for 10 miles might be tolerable, but 40 degrees for 30 miles would NOT be.

You can get a pair of heated glove liners for about 70 bux. Under a pair of HD midweight gloves that fit a little loose to begine with, I was fine on a RK (no fairing to block winds from the hands) into the low to mid 30s.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer

Best cold weather glove I've ever owned bar none. I've had them for 3 winters going on 4.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...=108&cat=9

Old 10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My lower limit for riding is 24F (unless it gets colder during the day when I ride to work). Even behind the batwing, the most limiting factor is cold fingers. That's assuming that your're using a full face helmet. Air infiltration between the helmet and the jacket or at the ankles can be biting but isn't as bothersome as numb fingers. I've never used heated grips. Friends that use heat prefer heated gloves because the outer hand is warmed and they can be swapped to another ride a lot easier than grips. I use a wicking liner glove under Dry Tech outer gloves. They are Thinsulate lined gauntlet gloves by Joe Rocket with pull elastics at the gauntlet for a tight fit beween the glove and jacket. One thing I do is put my gloved hand on the front jug at a stop until I feel the heat coming through.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I just did a 300 mile ride today. 46 degrees was the warmest it got. I had my normal riding gear on. Leather Jacket, several layers underneath, long underwear and jeans, lined gloves and full-face helmet. The only thing I had to add was a scarf for the neck.

This was onmy Sporty with no windshield. It was cool but not cold.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Seal Guy Ken
Cruiser

Northern Illinois here. The weather is definately turning. UGH.
My suggestion is to either move someplace warm (10 more years for me)... or put her in the garage, open the checkbook, and start adding accessories, which is how I plan on spending my winter with my "girl". I'm looking forward to it! 6 more months 'till May!!!!!!!!!!
But I will take her out when the roads are clear just to keep her in shape. 30 minutes (above freezing) should be doable on an Ultra.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:20 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put the windshield back on the rk custom. I bought a bacalvia for my head, and it works great. I use hd winter gloves, and just started using latex gloves under them to fend off the wind. I don't own anything else that is really winter gear. I have a heavy leather jacket, and wear a set of over-alls over my other pants, LOL.(this is also my rain gear, LOL. I am cheap.)

Last year I set my bike up for winter. Lowered the coverage on the bike to save a dime. That will not be happening this year. If I wanted to take a ride, I would have had to call the insurance company, and let them know. Way to much trouble to save $100.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TOURMASTER does put out some great gloves....
Have had a pair for many years now...

Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

i ride all year in BC. best investment i made was a heated vest. keep your core warm and there is more warm blood available for your hands and feet.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves