Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves

Carhartt insulated bibs, HDgoretex gloves andlatex gloves under them (for additional warmth). Of course a bacalvia, to keep the head toasty in my 1/2 helmet.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna do the same thing here in NE Wisconsin.

Ride until the salt flies.

Not going in storage - staying in the garage so I can sit on it when it is minus 40F wind chill.

Are those chemical hand warmer doo dads any good???

thx

Old 10-15-2007, 06:45 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Wife and I got Gerbings heated jacket liners last week. G3 gloves on the way. One of the best things I,ve bought for a while. At 45 deg. in the evening we left home for a night ride and she commented on how toasty she was with the jacket liner. 3 hrs. later we were still warm as toast. More reports as the weather gets colder.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Not that i would advocate it, but I took a trip during the state rally to Yosemite a couple of weeks ago. In Fresno, the weather was about 66deg. I wore a warm jacket but used my breathable HD gloves. By the time we made it up the hill, we had rain, hail, sleet and snow. Ambient temperature was below 40 easily.

My hands were not frozen, but my upper torso was completely protected and after dawning my rain jacket i was plenty warm which made a world of difference.

I don't like cold weather gloves much because of how stiff they tend to be. I'm on an enternal search for the perfect cold weather gloves. I have a couple that do in a pinch, one is goretex for rain and the other is a goretex derivative for wind resistance.

btw, this is all in the back of an Ultra fairing, if my hands were exposed as on my Sporty I would be freezing, as soon as it hit the 50's.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/windchill.html

This windchill calculator helps. For instance if you are doing 60mph and it's 30F it's really 10F.

I have a batwing fairing, lowers, full face helmet, balaclava, 13lb foxcreek jacket, foxcreek chaps, I layer and have heated gloves. My commute to work is 27 miles and I've riden when it's 25F at 60mph windchill is 3F, the heated gloves save the day, if my hands get cold it's all over for me. My gloves are Gerbing, I also just bought a pair of warm and safe to try this winter.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

got some battery heated gloves/socks from sports authority(25 ea.) my cut off is the fear of ice. used this set up a couple times and it helped but as stated the batwing lets me cruise all day at 40 with reasonable gloves and boots.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
caddis16
6th Gear

Intersesting topic. Starting to cool off pretty good here in Maine. I was not gonna do heated gloves but you might just have changed my mind...

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodman813

This will be my first year that I will not put my bike in storage for the winter!!! So, I was wondering how cold your hands get even if you have the batwing fairing?? DO you need heated gloves, ect..?? Thanks
I rode 50 milesto work Friday and it was 39 degrees. I had thermal underwear, jeans, leather jacket, gauntlet gloves with some cheap liners and the only thing to get cold was my fingers. I guess the only thing to do is get heated gloves.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodman813

This will be my first year that I will not put my bike in storage for the winter!!! So, I was wondering how cold your hands get even if you have the batwing fairing?? DO you need heated gloves, ect..?? Thanks
For me, yes. Down here in Cajun country (S. LA) we ride year-round, and it does get cold enough for heated gloves. Most of my friends don't, but it makes all the difference when temps dip below 50°, as my hands are my most vulnerable spot, even with heavy winter gloves. I use Gerbing, who makes the HD-branded heated gloves, and I use the ACC switch on the dash. I haven't purchased a thermostat yet and may not, even though switching on and off is a minor hassle. These gloves do get too warm when temps are higher, like above 45°.

The fairing bikes are much better for cold-weather hand protection than the windshield was on my RK. I don't have any other heated clothes, although a few of my friends have heated vest, pants, and/or socks. For me, I don't feel the need for those, plus it adds to the wiring maze. That's one disadvantage of heated anything is that you must deal with the wiring, and remember to disconnect it when you get off the bike!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
racerx1
Cruiser

I ride in winter with chaps, jacket, knit cap, neck gaiter, and insulated work gloves. When I can't feel my face anymore I switch to a full face helmet. I just hate all the rain we've been getting lately in Milwaukee. Cold is OK, rain is OK, but both sucks.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather & Fairing & Gloves